GDT: pre-season LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @6:00pm 9/24/18

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Quite the assumption

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt as opposed to assuming. Agree to disagree.

Statto -
Hockey is very old boys club and MacDermid has ties to, I assume, several organizations via his father. He played 30+ games in the NHL last season so it wouldn't be a stretch to see him claimed.

Reactions: Sol

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt as opposed to assuming. Agree to disagree.

Statto -
Hockey is very old boys club and MacDermid has ties to, I assume, several organizations via his father. He played 30+ games in the NHL last season so it wouldn't be a stretch to see him claimed.

No worries. Agree to disagree.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If they get claimed,if I recall correctly, they go onto the claiming teams opening night roster automatically. The claimant cannot just assign them to the AHL. I think it’s very unlikely that MacD gets claimed as he’s never going to play more than a small handful of games each year. I don’t think anyone will commit to him being on their roster for the first month (or is the minimum 2 weeks).

I think Fantenberg has a little more upside and his game probably suits playing out east a little more. He’s cheap and any team with questionable blue line depth will kick the tyres on him, for sure.
There's no minimum. A team can claim a player and then waive him the next day. The issue is that the player would again have to clear waivers. Then the Kings could put in a claim and if they were the only ones to put in a claim as the players original team they could then send him down without waivers.

Ok so example. MacDermid gets waived. Panthers claim him. Next day they make a trade and say whoops we don't have room for him place him back on waivers. Then Kings and Oilers both place claim. Oilers have higher priority and get him. But again can't send him down without waivers. Oilers waive him and just Montreal places claim. Montreal gets him but again to send him down he have to clear waivers. So then waived again Kings and Preds place claims. Kings get him but since they weren't the only claim he'd have to clear waivers yo go down. Kings waive him but Preds claim. Then Preds waive him and Kings are only claim. Now the Kings can him down without waivers. For this season only the Kings on a reclaim could claim him off waivers and if they are the only bid could him down without waivers.

Basically there no way to put someone you claimed on your farm team unless the original team doesn't want that player on their farm team. So no one will claim McDermid or anyone else unless they have a spot on their roster.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
There's no minimum. A team can claim a player and then waive him the next day. The issue is that the player would again have to clear waivers. Then the Kings could put in a claim and if they were the only ones to put in a claim as the players original team they could then send him down without waivers.

That seems to conflict some with this: "The Tampa Bay Lightning claimed winger Danick Martel off waivers from the Flyers on Saturday. Under NHL rules, the Lightning are now obligated to keep Martel on their NHL roster to open the season. He must spend 30 days or appear in 10 NHL games -- whichever comes sooner -- before he is eligible to be re-waived and assigned to the AHL if he clears. The clock starts ticking on Oct 3."

Lines starting to take form at Flyers camp

Admittedly, I haven't read the CBA section that writer is gathering that from so s/he could be interpreting it wrong.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
That seems to conflict some with this: "The Tampa Bay Lightning claimed winger Danick Martel off waivers from the Flyers on Saturday. Under NHL rules, the Lightning are now obligated to keep Martel on their NHL roster to open the season. He must spend 30 days or appear in 10 NHL games -- whichever comes sooner -- before he is eligible to be re-waived and assigned to the AHL if he clears. The clock starts ticking on Oct 3."

Admittedly, I haven't read the CBA section that writer is gathering that from so s/he could be interpreting it wrong.

I wasn't aware of those rules. I just thought that if the claiming team tried to send him down to the AHL that the original team would get first crack at claiming him and sending him to the AHL. These rules make it even less likely that any of the Kings fringe guys are claimed on waivers. Any team that is making a claim has to be pretty sure the guy is a clear improvement on what they already have.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
EDIT: I sound frustrated at you guys in this post. I am not. I am frustrated at morons like that writer who keep spreading these myths. For last like 8 years I can't count how many dozens, maybe even hundreds of times I have posted these rules. It was easy enough for me to look up, if your writing an article at least glance at the damn CBA.

Urgh that stupid 30 day rule. This writer is VERY misinformed, one of the most persistent stupid myths there is. Albeit they've taken it to new heights of stupidity.

The 30 day rule is not about this at all. The 30 day rule is AFTER a player has cleared waivers. So say Kings waive McDermid. He clears. Then he gets sent down. He can then be moved back and forth from AHL and NHL freely until he either spends 30 days on NHL roster or appears in 10 NHL games (whichever comes first). Once that happens he would then need to clear waivers again to be assigned to AHL. So say McDermid gets recalled on November 3 and plays 3 games until November 21 and Kings send him down. He wouldn't need waivers to be sent down again. But next time he is recalled his "waiver clock" would start again at 18 days and 3 games. So 12 more days or 7 more NHL games played this year at any point and he would need waivers again to be sent back down.

Here is the 30 day rule from CBA.

The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season. Subject to the provisions of this Article, the rights to the services of a Player may be Loaned to a club of another league, upon fulfillment of the following conditions, except when elsewhere expressly prohibited: (a) Regular Waivers were requested and cleared during the Playing Season Waiver Period; and (b) the Player has not played in ten (10) or more NHL Games cumulative since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared, and more than thirty (30) days cumulative on an NHL roster have not passed since Regular Waivers on him were last cleared.

Exempt players are talked about later on. I really don't know where this HAS to be on the roster thing started as there is NOTHING in the CBA that dictates you must keep a player on your roster. As it's impossible to prove a negative without just telling you to read the entire CBA take my word for it, no team is forced to keep a player on their roster barring a No Movement Clause.

I wasn't aware of those rules. I just thought that if the claiming team tried to send him down to the AHL that the original team would get first crack at claiming him and sending him to the AHL. These rules make it even less likely that any of the Kings fringe guys are claimed on waivers. Any team that is making a claim has to be pretty sure the guy is a clear improvement on what they already have.

Another persistent myth. The original team does NOT have first crack at the player. Once a player is rewaived he is on waivers again in the same normal fashion. The ONLY difference for the original team is that if they are the only team to put in a claim they may assign him to AHL without waivers again (that includes teams behind them in the waiver priority). However it is the same process as normal.

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Thank you for clarifying @Holden Caulfield , from doing a quick google search it seems some of the confusion might stem from the baseball rule 5 draft where teams have to offer back the player to his original team before waiving him, but you are correct, no such rule in the NHL.

And in September/October it feels like more guys are waived with camp cuts but teams are less likely to claim than say during the season, teams seem to give their own guys the benefit of the doubt before looking outside the organization. I feel like if you go to every team board people are worried about their last cut being claimed on waivers, and most of the time they never are.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thank you for clarifying @Holden Caulfield , from doing a quick google search it seems some of the confusion might stem from the baseball rule 5 draft where teams have to offer back the player to his original team before waiving him, but you are correct, no such rule in the NHL.

And in September/October it feels like more guys are waived with camp cuts but teams are less likely to claim than say during the season, teams seem to give their own guys the benefit of the doubt before looking outside the organization. I feel like if you go to every team board people are worried about their last cut being claimed on waivers, and most of the time they never are.

*Unless it's a Kings org goalie.

Then you're f***ed.

Reactions: King Trouty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad