GDT: Pre-season LA Kings vs Anaheim Ducks @7:00pm 9/29/23

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
They are winning preseason games with players that won’t make the team. It’s preseason. The negativity needs to stop. Are you a fan or not.
?

Some of you guys need to shut the f*** up. Go cheer for another team

Another wonderful contribution to the discussion.

Oh cool, the comment police.

The posts were largely positive, with honest call-outs for bad play. It's called a discussion.
What’s even more sad and pathetic is that people click like to the tired and played out “Go cheer for the Ducks” bs

Last edited:
Reactions: ru4reals

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
No one’s even really being negative tonight. Some people just want to feel persecuted.
Look at some of the reaction on this board to Rosen simply reporting things he was told by multiple sources, some people hit him with ad-hominem comments just for reporting news.

There is a reason that almost every single broadcast in all the sports is now just homers and cheerleaders in the booth.

People want Jack Edwards and Hawk Harrelson more than they want Bob Miller and Vin Scully.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think Turcotte has a better chance than Laferriere right now. Laferriere would do well with some time in the AHL. He still has a lot of his game to round out and improve upon.

I agree, if that is a roster battle it makes more sense to go with Turcotte. Laf has a chance to be an excellent modern NHL 3rd liner, but give him some time in the AHL. The AHL is a perfect spot for a player like him, he graduated from his previous level but needs some more time before becoming an NHL’er but also isn't a teenager down there.

Turcotte has about 100 AHL games experience and will be turning 23 this season, he's no longer a young prospect, the time is now to find him an NHL spot. People talk about wanting him to go down to the AHL again and dominate offensively before getting called up, but I don't think that's really in the cards, as his AHL production has kind of plateaued, and he's probably never going to be expected to be a scorer for the Kings anyway. Let him add some energy and sandpaper to the bottom lines for the Kings.

But knowing the Kings, they will let waivers dictate the decision as to which of these forwards makes the team.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I agree, if that is a roster battle it makes more sense to go with Turcotte. Laf has a chance to be an excellent modern NHL 3rd liner, but give him some time in the AHL. The AHL is a perfect spot for a player like him, he graduated from his previous level but needs some more time before becoming an NHL’er but also isn't a teenager down there.

Turcotte has about 100 AHL games experience and will be turning 23 this season, he's no longer a young prospect, the time is now to find him an NHL spot. People talk about wanting him to go down to the AHL again and dominate offensively before getting called up, but I don't think that's really in the cards, as his AHL production has kind of plateaued, and he's probably never going to be expected to be a scorer for the Kings anyway. Let him add some energy and sandpaper to the bottom lines for the Kings.

But knowing the Kings, they will let waivers dictate the decision as to which of these forwards makes the team.
I'm torn. It definitely makes sense to have Turcotte up in the NHL as he has "paid his dues", but Laferriere has, hands down, been the best of the group. I don't want to compare him to the Australia group, as they faced different levels of competition, but his quality of play is just a couple tiers above his peers. You kind of want to reward that, too.

Reactions: Fishhead

DyslexicTom

Jan 1, 2009
I'm torn. It definitely makes sense to have Turcotte up in the NHL as he has "paid his dues", but Laferriere has, hands down, been the best of the group. I don't want to compare him to the Australia group, as they faced different levels of competition, but his quality of play is just a couple tiers above his peers. You kind of want to reward that, too.
It kind of is a moot discussion because Blake has already tied his own hands with the roster construction and can't even field a full team to the start the season, no? I don't foresee any of these youngsters making the roster based purely on that fact.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It kind of is a moot discussion because Blake has already tied his own hands with the roster construction and can't even field a full team to the start the season, no? I don't foresee any of these youngsters making the roster based purely on that fact.
That's true and a fair point. There may be a spot or two that could be played into. It's pretty disappointing to see top prospects pay their dues AND do well in camp AND still get sent down by virtue of contract status.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Durzi on the left last year didn't work but I wonder if we could do something with Roy and Doughty? It may be a dumb idea, but I'd love to see Spence and Clarke paired with Anderson and Gavrikov.

Doughty - Roy
Anderson - Clarke
Gavrikov - Spence
That's my vote but the ķoala is gonna koala and play Roy and Gavrikov together

bland

Jul 1, 2004
That's true and a fair point. There may be a spot or two that could be played into. It's pretty disappointing to see top prospects pay their dues AND do well in camp AND still get sent down by virtue of contract status.

Does wonders for morale, doesn't it?

What’s even more sad and pathetic is that people click like to the tired and played out “Go cheer for the Ducks” bs
Seemed to me like a case of someone hitting the Friday night sauce before posting about pink elephants.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

The silver lining is that salary might be important than waiver status this year. So if a young guy seriously outplays someone like Grundstrom they have incentive to go with the younger player.

I worry more about Spence in this regard than the forwards. I know that all gets resolved next year when Roy is up, but he's earned it. They'll be injuries of course, at least I won't be whining about how thin we are on the back end.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
That's my vote but the ķoala is gonna koala and play Roy and Gavrikov together
Nah have Clarke earn it. Right now it should be

Anderson/Doughty
Gavrikov/Roy
Moverare/Spence
*Clarke

No one will pick up Englund with his contract, no clue if BJ has to go through waivers but if he does it's probably only a 30% chance he gets claimed.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Seemed to me like a case of someone hitting the Friday night sauce before posting about pink elephants.

Well, considering who posted it, it’s not surprising, that is his MO, to come in here periodically and make hit and run posts cussing people out and telling them to “go be a fan of another team”

People like that are a fact of life on any forum, the truly disappointing thing is that two more established members apparently agree with “Go be a Ducks fan”

But I did at least wake up to another PM from everyone’s favorite member telling me the forum would be so much more enjoyable if it were filled with only people like him.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I would be surprised if Fagemo didn't end up on waivers. Tynan has been setting him up for two games now over and over on the PP for one timers and he couldn't bury even one. It's not that his game is terrible, it's just ever so slightly below what is needed to make it in just about every area.

I think the only two forwards out of group B that have a shot this year are Laferriere and Turcotte. Both just think a step faster than everyone else.

I want Turcotte up, keep him the f*** away from the AHL.

When your greatest attribute is pace/brain, it's getting wasted in the AHL, both figuratively and literally when another guy smokes him.

It's high time guys like him get their shot. Hell, it was high time two years ago.

To TM's credit this might be the first year it's a 'tough' decision to make WRT forwards but he's backed into a corner because they didnt' make these decisions before.

Bubble players subject to waivers:
JAD
Bjornfot
Connauton
Englund
Fagemo
Grundstrom
Hodgson
Moverare
Thomas

Can imagine Laf and Turcotte starting in the AHL along with one of Clarke or Spence simply because of waiver status because Blake looooooves playing that game no matter who they outplay.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

When your greatest attribute is pace/brain, it's getting wasted in the AHL, both figuratively and literally when another guy smokes him.

It's high time guys like him get their shot. Hell, it was high time two years ago.

To TM's credit this might be the first year it's a 'tough' decision to make WRT forwards but he's backed into a corner because they didnt' make these decisions before.

JAD
Bjornfot
Connauton
Englund
Fagemo
Grundstrom
Hodgson
Moverare
Thomas

Can imagine Laf and Turcotte starting in the AHL along with one of Clarke or Spence simply because of waiver status because Blake looooooves playing that game no matter who they outplay.

It sucks to say it but I doubt Bjornfot ever makes much of a difference at the NHL level. He reminds me of Oscar Fantenberg... that's not a comparison you want to hear. Decent footspeed, does everything okay, but not really good at anything. He might make a career for himself as a bottom pairing journeyman, but I doubt he does much more than that unfortunately.

The only other guys that have really shown flashes of anything on that list are Grundstrom, Hodgson, and Thomas. Grundstrom has too many defensive gaffes for my taste and he doesn't use his body enough. Fagemo... I know he was hyped by Wheeler, but I just don't see him contributing at the NHL level. Hodgson had that big hit on Stone, but he also gave away the puck last night leading directly to a goal. I wish Thomas hadn't had so many injuries. The best we can hope for is that he doesn't get claimed this year and we can see what a healthy year looks like.

The Kings could potentially save $1,425,000 by replacing Lizotte and Grundstrom with league-minimum-ish contracts. I like Lizotte but would our fourth line be significantly worse if it was Thomas - Turcotte - Lewis instead of Grundstrom - Lizotte - Lewis? Sub in either Turcotte or Thomas for JAD or Hodgson, I don't really care, the point remains that that cap space could be valuable at the deadline when we obviously need to upgrade in net.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013

JAD
Bjornfot
Connauton
Englund
Fagemo
Grundstrom
Hodgson
Moverare
Thomas

The players that are subject to waivers have all been meh outside of Moverare and Hodgson.

Thomas had that one really good game against Vegas but has done nothing other than that. Englund and BJ have both been outplayed by Kevin f***ing Connauton.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The Kings could potentially save $1,425,000 by replacing Lizotte and Grundstrom with league-minimum-ish contracts. I like Lizotte but would our fourth line be significantly worse if it was Thomas - Turcotte - Lewis instead of Grundstrom - Lizotte - Lewis? Sub in either Turcotte or Thomas for JAD or Hodgson, I don't really care, the point remains that that cap space could be valuable at the deadline when we obviously need to upgrade in net.

On paper this would look good, but my biggest concern with replacing Lizotte/Grundstrom with Turcotte/Thomas is you are replacing two NHL'ers with two guys who haven't been close to staying healthy for even an AHL season, let alone a grinding NHL one. What kind of checking line could we roll out when they get injured? We really don't have a lot in that department. You have the offensive hit by losing Lizotte, but that at least could be overcome.

I could see one of the two going, probably Grundstrom. It would be nice to get around 800K of cap space, which would bank up close to $2M at the deadline. You could get a good goalie for that as there aren't many games left.

Reactions: Schrute farms

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
And the Kings NHL lineup needs Laferriere more than Turcotte IMO. Laferriere is a right shot winger which we really need. The center position on the other hand is already set.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017

Turc should make the team. He’s a much better player now than Lizzo. Laf could also be on the roster and replace Grundstrom IMO.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Nah have Clarke earn it. Right now it should be

Anderson/Doughty
Gavrikov/Roy
Moverare/Spence
*Clarke

No one will pick up Englund with his contract, no clue if BJ has to go through waivers but if he does it's probably only a 30% chance he gets claimed.
Clarke has already earned it and is already better than Moverare.
The coaches even said that he would have made the team last season had he not been injured in the preseason

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Turc should make the team. He’s a much better player now than Lizzo. Laf could also be on the roster and replace Grundstrom IMO.

Turcotte would be far better served with top 6 minutes in Ontario than 4th line situations with the Kings. Lizotte doesn't have his skill or pedigree, but he is a MUCH better 4th line player. Heart and soul, an irritator, plays a simple, straight forward game.

I have seen lots of folks saying stuff like this, but I have to ask if any of you paid attention to how badly the Kings 4th line was caved in last year. They forced poorly fitted offensively leaning kids into situations that require veteran panache and an understanding that your job isn't to score, but to change and build momentum. Kupari and Kaliyev struggled in those spots and the team suffered, and you guys want to do that all over again?

If Turcotte plays his way on to this team it should be between PLD and Fiala, not with Lewis and Grundstrom.

Laferriere has been impressive, but his time will come. His job this year is to impress in Ontario and force Blake to allow Arvidsson to leave as a free agent.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Turcotte would be far better served with top 6 minutes in Ontario than 4th line situations with the Kings. Lizotte doesn't have his skill or pedigree, but he is a MUCH better 4th line player. Heart and soul, an irritator, plays a simple, straight forward game.

I have seen lots of folks saying stuff like this, but I have to ask if any of you paid attention to how badly the Kings 4th line was caved in last year. They forced poorly fitted offensively leaning kids into situations that require veteran panache and an understanding that your job isn't to score, but to change and build momentum. Kupari and Kaliyev struggled in those spots and the team suffered, and you guys want to do that all over again?

If Turcotte plays his way on to this team it should be between PLD and Fiala, not with Lewis and Grundstrom.

Laferriere has been impressive, but his time will come. His job this year is to impress in Ontario and force Blake to allow Arvidsson to leave as a free agent.
Unfortunately with the way the Kings have killed any opportunity for young players to take prominent roles that makes the only realistic position for him in the bottom 6.

I think it’s messed up that even byfield doesn’t have a top 6 center position possibility. Do I think he sucks? Yeah. Did they give him the chance to fail as a top 6 center ? No. Which is why you can’t very comfortably say it’s a talent issue with him. Now he’s a top line winger who defers to his linemates and doesn’t ever take charge of his line. That’s not the position he should be in. Playing In Kopitars shadow is a tough shadow to get out from under. Think they’re messing up with him next to Kopi. Hard to be okay with failing and messing up when you have Kopitar and Kempe next to you.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021

This can’t be said enough.

Turcotte has enough offensive upside, that it would pay dividends to send him down to polish it with the knowledge that he has every chance to earn a top-6 center role for when PLD inevitably under performs at center.

Walking away from Arvidsson at FA in the name of replacing him with a lower cost internal option is the easiest way to clear salary for an actual goaltender. Could even be more cap space to spare if Roy isn’t retained as well.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com

A lot of people here are sick of the negativity on this board by some of the regulars.

And its not just whatever is posted currently.

Its the culmulative effects of listening to Team Tear it down over and over and over.

Instead of pointing figers @FeartheFur

Take a look in the mirror.

People come here to cheer the Kings not listen to a group of guys that think they would be better at being , tough, goaltending, drafting, development, coaching, and GMing.

You just told me the ducks are that way <<<< a few days ago.

Like I need directions from Ned Flanders in Michingan

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The only reason I don't want Turcotte down is his name. Plugs are going to try to make a name for themselves scrambling his brains.

I'm old enough to remember Englund doing this last year, then this org picking him up and some posters here getting giddy about 'toughness,' then the actual games starting and him looking like the worst defenseman we've had since randy jones.

What I'd like to see at this point:

Byfield-Kopitar-Kempe
Turcotte-PLD-Fiala
Moore-Danault-Arvidsson
Thomas-Lizotte-Lewis
Grundstrom or Hodgson

send down JAD, Fagemo, Laf (who will be the first callup), Kaliyev (to get some actual minutes in and be the next man up, no point in spending another year complaining about his deployment, and he's still free of waivers). Flipflop Arvidsson and Turcotte maybe to check chemistry. I don't think you can waive Thomas until you see what he's got.

Doughty-Anderson
Gavrikov-Clarke
Spence-Roy
Moverare

Gives you options for up-one or down-one situations at the end of games as well as special teams

send down Bjornfot (claimed--needs a fresh start not here apparently), Connauton, Englund (send him to the ECHL, we need toughness that can play, not medicore toughness that can't take a regular shift without being a liability).

Reactions: kilowatt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad