Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 7: Canucks 5 @ Edmonton 2 - Cracknell the Defender Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Wait, Cracknell is a forward? Mother of God the world has changed. I should put the beer down. :laugh:

That's my HF Canucks board mod.

l.gif

greasy goals

Mar 7, 2014
It's moments like these that I forgive the Sbisa contract a little bit (and get more annoyed about the Sutter contract :rant:)

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
Good game there guys. Virtanen is a beauty and looks like he'll be a great player for you guys. That no call, Sbisa slash though... That was pretty bad by the refs there.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
What a game! Can't say I expected that. The Oilers look like a dangerous team and they were dressing close to a full lineup so I expected to lose this one, not beat them 5-2.

What more can be said about the kids? Wow. How long has it been since this many young players impressed this much? You're looking at our future core, folks.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
It pains me to think we lost Kassian for someone who shouldn't even be on our opening day roster. At least pick up a draft pick. Jesus.

prust played 82 games last year for the habs. if we can't ice him because of unexpected depth, is it really an epic loss?

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Sbisa looked pretty okay, so that's nice. If it continues against NHL teams then I'll be happy.

Thought Sutter was completely useless tonight, but maybe I'm biased because I see his contract forcing us to move one of Horvat or McCann down the road.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
so, can we say that y2k's prediction that we would turn into the Flames wasn't really that far off? Getting gems out of low-profile picks... I McCann't believe my eyes!

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I'm sure there was a reason the Oilers went 6 - 0 up til this game. They pretty much mailed it in after the second period, but clearly defense and goaltending are still going to be big issues for that team.

I really have no idea what management is going to do with the roster at this point.

If Hutton, Biega, McCann, Virtanen and Gaunce get sent down, I'm pretty sure this team has a good chance at a pick around 10 - 15 barring injuries.

Those guys add a whole lot of dynamic to the roster and the play is very up tempo.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
It was good to see the team play with some urgency finally. I thought that group on D did a pretty good job of playing an up tempo style. Hutton, Biega, Weber, all kept their feet moving well. Seeing more of that from the back end would be nice a nice change from the last few years of plodding breakouts.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
What a game, our young guns embarrass the oilers and the flames fans who tuned in got to see sven rack up 4 assits win-win situation love it.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011
were any of baertschi's assists actually any good? i didn't notice any of them.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Yeah, most of us wanted Barbashev at 24 (who isn't having a bad year mind you, outscored McCann last year but McCann had an amazing camp this year) but we were pretty happy with McCann as well. I think the only Benning pick we really questioned was Virtanen over Nylander/Ehlers/Richie (not as many wanted Richie). He had a solid showing tonight though after a mostly weak preseason, so that must give fans some confidence.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
McDavid - Hall are going to ruin us for the future. The puck literally follows McDavid around the ice.

The 1st line and Hutton had stellar games. We beat the Oilers, without our best 5 players (well Horvat debatable).

Hutton and Bartkowski at this point are both upgrades over Bieksa, so when GM JB said we upgraded on D, i don't think he lied.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Burrows - Sutter - Hansen
Higgins - McCann - Dorsett
Prust

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartkowski - Hutton
Sbisa

Markstrom
Miller

That's a team I could be interested in.

Switch Hansen and Dorsett and I'm down with that. Hansen was great with Bo so I would go down that path again.

greasy goals

Mar 7, 2014
prust played 82 games last year for the habs. if we can't ice him because of unexpected depth, is it really an epic loss?

IMO, it's less tragic that we lost Kassian than that the return was Prust. ANYONE useful would've been better. Oh well. Prust can mentor a beer from the press box.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
were any of baertschi's assists actually any good? i didn't notice any of them.

Yeah I think Baertschi made some good plays tonight. Also, on Weber's unassisted goal, Baertschi followed by Virtanen got in the forecheck which pressured Sekera leading to a turnover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad