Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 6: Sharks def. Canucks 2-1 (McCann)

Status
Not open for further replies.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Gaunce working out as our 4C would be excellent for our depth chart. Sedin-Horvat-Sutter-McCann with a chance of McCann sounds good.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning putting Markstrom in a position to fail to avoid an early controversy?

Yep, still wearing my tinfoil hat.

Very interesting.....going with Markstrom on a back-to-back...something they never did last year even during the regular season....you might be on to something....if Miller got lit up like a pin-ball machine it would trigger another goaltending controversy....the last thing they need.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
With the roster we're going to ice tonight, combined with the strong rsoter SJ is icing, they most likely know Miller would get rocked out there.

So their logic is to shell Marky on a back to back after a 32 saves shutout? That Miller guy sure is pampered.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yeah, this just reeks of sheltering Miller to try preventing another goaltending controversy.

Hopefully Markstrom excels again tonight.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Markstrom needs this game badly for his own confidence. Gotta rewrite the last game with San Jose after letting in 3 goals on 4 shots. Smart coaching.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Markstrom needs this game badly for his own confidence. Gotta rewrite the last game with San Jose after letting in 3 goals on 4 shots. Smart coaching.

I'd say pretty dumb coaching if Miller isn't sick or hurt. Your #1 goaltender clearly isn't ready for the season to begin and playing a guy on back to back nights is pretty silly in the pre-season. I'd argue that Miller needs this game far more than Markstrom does. Far more.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I'd argue Miller needed this game far more than Markstrom....guy flat-out stunk in the last game against the Flames.....but instead of putting him back on the horse, they decide to 'shelter' their $6m goaltending mistake...why, oh why, oh why did they trade Lack instead of Miller:shakehead

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I'd say pretty dumb coaching if Miller isn't sick or hurt. Your #1 goaltender clearly isn't ready for the season to begin and playing a guy on back to back nights is pretty silly in the pre-season. I'd argue that Miller needs this game far more than Markstrom does. Far more.

For any other team I'd agree, but management wants Markstrom to overcome San Jose. That was a nightmare game he had and for any professional athlete you always want to rebound against the worst game you had last year.

Miller will still have a couple more games before the season hits.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
For any other team I'd agree, but management wants Markstrom to overcome San Jose. That was a nightmare game he had and for any professional athlete you always want to rebound against the worst game you had last year.

You don't overcome anything in pre-season match ups because it is a meaningless game with no pressure on the guy. He's got the back up role. His job isn't in danger. It isn't worth two points. It isn't the playoffs.

Come the regular season if Markstrom gets a start against the Sharks do you really think the talk will be about how he (maybe) played well in some pre-season game or that 3 goals on 4 shots thing and how he needs to redeem himself for it? This means nothing and a week from now no one will remember that they played the Sharks in a pre-season game. The other game people still remember.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Thats a narrative youve made up in your head.
Markstrom nearly took his team to the AHL championship, i dont think hes too worried about 4 shots last year.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

LMAO!

They are tossing Markstrom to the Sharks hoping to head off the already brewing goalie controversy
GP Mins GAA W L OT EN SO GA SA SV%
25 Markstrom, Jacob 3 118 0.51 1 0 0 0 1 1 56 98.2
30 Miller, Ryan 2 94 3.83 0 1 1 0 0 6 35 82.9

Miller is Benning's guy, he does not want competition there this year.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Thats a narrative youve made up in your head.
Markstrom nearly took his team to the AHL championship, i dont think hes too worried about 4 shots last year.

Besides, and I could be mis-remembering here, but didn't Markstrom already face his Shark nemesis in pre-season? (albeit just for half of the game)

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
You don't overcome anything in pre-season match ups because it is a meaningless game with no pressure on the guy. He's got the back up role. His job isn't in danger. It isn't worth two points. It isn't the playoffs.

Come the regular season if Markstrom gets a start against the Sharks do you really think the talk will be about how he (maybe) played well in some pre-season game or that 3 goals on 4 shots thing and how he needs to redeem himself for it? This means nothing and a week from now no one will remember that they played the Sharks in a pre-season game. The other game people still remember.

This is something all professional athletes have to deal with. There's no such thing as a meaningless game when you hit the ice.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I think WD has finally soured on his boy Vey.

qQbsrUw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad