HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The Canadiens aren't going to trade (productive/useful) vets for picks anymore. That phase is over.
Sometimes vets need to go to make room for young players.

Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom, Mailloux, have not yet earned a spot on the big team, but if it happens by the 2025 deadline, and that's likely, expect some older players traded.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Ok guys just for the fun of it....would you do it and is the Hawks would listen?

Let say that you really want Demidov but you want to keep your 5th as well....it would cost....a lot ....;

To Chicago::

Guhle
Newhook
Jets pick
Calgary 2025 first pick

To Mtl:
2nd overall (Demidov )

..and you draft a D at 5th.

Not enough? Too much?

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Sharks need good young D prospects. Wonder if we could get the 14th ( to use on Senneke if available ) for our Jets 1st, our 2nd possibly and a good young D prospect or two. And who might that/they be ?

I don't really have an opinion on Senneke other than this guy just caught fire and I don't think k I'd be good using the 5th OA on him. But the 14th ? Yeah ok WTH.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Ok guys just for the fun of it....would you do it and is the Hawks would listen?

Let say the you really want Demidov but you want to keep your 5th as well....it would cost....a lot ....;

Guhle
Newhook
Jets pick
Calgary 2025 first pick

To Mtl:
2nd overall (Demidov )

Not enough? Too much?
It would take something like this for sure and i would do it deminov and a D both would be playing for the habs next year and making us better right away.

Reactions: crosbyshow

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I don't know about Sennecke, specifically, but there will surely be an excellent player available at 14th OA.

Toss Barron + Harris + WIN 1st. Beyond that, we have no 2nd round pick of our own (Dvorak trade still haunts us), but we could throw in one from 2025 (our own), when we have two with PIT's pick as part of the mega deal for Hoffman and Pitlick (Rem).

Otherwise, it could be this year's 2nd rounder we have from COL that we got for Lehkonen, along with Barron. I think the Habs' 2nd round pick in 2025 would have more value...

We could also throw in a 3rd round pick like cheap crackers at a low-end, black tie event, considering we have 5, overall, two in this upcoming draft and three in 2025?

I guarantee there is a good chance that an even better player than Sennecke drops down to 14th OA (probably a D, though, and Montreal needs firepower up front)!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sharks need good young D prospects. Wonder if we could get the 14th ( to use on Senneke if available ) for our Jets 1st, our 2nd possibly and a good young D prospect or two. And who might that/they be ?

I don't really have an opinion on Senneke other than this guy just caught fire and I don't think k I'd be good using the 5th OA on him. But the 14th ? Yeah ok WTH.
Even if the Habs were to overpay to move up, they’d still end up with excess assets.

If they value Sennecke enough, they can certainly convince one of the 10-15 ranked teams to budge.

Reactions: yianik

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It would take something like this for sure and i would do it deminov and a D both would be playing for the habs next year and making us better right away.
For starters,Demidov is signed in the KHL for next season, so no, and the D would have be chosen with the 2nd OA, IMO, to play in the NHL starting next year.

Doesn't look good if we want two players playing in Montreal right away.

Honestly, Demidov likely wouldn't be ready to play against men in the NHL either, considering he wasn't all that dominant in the actual KHL this season.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Don't think KH moves up
He'll use his assets for a young NHL proven player
It's too vague a statement for me.Do you mean as he did by trading a late first rounder and an early 2nd rounder as he did with Newhook or, when you say a YOUNG, PROVEN, NHL PLAYER, do you mean as part of a larger package to land one of those?

Who is your target for such a trade?

If it's player like Zegras, I honestly wonder what it would take to land him and that will determine whether it is worth the risk.

If not, whom?

I think that landing Zegras will cost both the WIN and the CALO 1st rounders, plus a player like Barron, Beck or Roy.

I personally wouldn't do it.

I'd rather try to move up at the draft in the hopes selecting one of Helenius, Brandsegg-Nygard, Sennecke or, even, Boisvert, beyond the top-10.

I'd also try to move up from the CAL (FLA, really), next season, maybe packaging that pick with unpick-- if it lands outside the top-10 -- to get back within the top-10, even if it costs an interesting prospect as well.

I believe there is more value in choosing two out of Demidov, Lindstrom, or Iginla, plus one of Catton, Eiserman, Connelly, Sennecke, Helenius, Brandsegg-Nygard, Hague, Greentree, or Boisvert this year, whichever we can get through moving up, plus moving back within the top-10 at next year's draft.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021

If we can get a pick between 11-15 for a combo of assets that includes the WPG 1st, I would definately try, because you can get a pretty good forward there. You've gotta get a team to bite.

Reactions: yianik

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal

Reinbacher, Hutson, Engstrom, Mailloux, have not yet earned a spot on the big team, but if it happens by the 2025 deadline, and that's likely, expect some older players traded.
I agree that some times it is the best course to follow, but here, we don't have an abundance of vets to give away. So, within that perspective, I think it would be best to trade some waiver eligible D. It would make room for a depth signing or a waiver claim, if injuries oblige. Then we can be patient with the group we have.

Don't think KH moves up
He'll use his assets for a young NHL proven player
I'm not sure there are many available for a late pick in this draft. I don't think we could get Turcotte or Marvik Bourque.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
It's too vague a statement for me.Do you mean as he did by trading a late first rounder and an early 2nd rounder as he did with Newhook or, when you say a YOUNG, PROVEN, NHL PLAYER, do you mean as part of a larger package to land one of those?

Who is your target for such a trade?

If it's player like Zegras, I honestly wonder what it would take to land him and that will determine whether it is worth the risk.

If not, whom?

I think that landing Zegras will cost both the WIN and the CALO 1st rounders, plus a player like Barron, Beck or Roy.

I personally wouldn't do it.

I'd rather try to move up at the draft in the hopes selecting one of Helenius, Brandsegg-Nygard, Sennecke or, even, Boisvert, beyond the top-10.

I'd also try to move up from the CAL (FLA, really), next season, maybe packaging that pick with unpick-- if it lands outside the top-10 -- to get back within the top-10, even if it costs an interesting prospect as well.

I believe there is more value in choosing two out of Demidov, Lindstrom, or Iginla, plus one of Catton, Eiserman, Connelly, Sennecke, Helenius, Brandsegg-Nygard, Hague, Greentree, or Boisvert this year, whichever we can get through moving up, plus moving back within the top-10 at next year's draft.
I say like the Dach deal.

Jets pick + D man + ?
To get a tip six player
Who I don't know.
But KH will get a young guy ready to play on the 2nd line

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017

Let say that you really want Demidov but you want to keep your 5th as well....it would cost....a lot ....;

Guhle
Newhook
Jets pick
Calgary 2025 first pick

To Mtl:
2nd overall (Demidov )

Not enough? Too much?

Yes.

Draft Demidov 2OA.
Buium 5OA.

Tank another year and draft that McKenna kid who looks like a Bedard level talent, not a 2nd tier franchise player like that bum Celebrini. (Ignore my previous posts on him, I’m just petty we didn’t win the lottery.)

2025-2026

Caufield-Suzuki-Chadkofsky
Demidov-Dach-McKenna
Tuch-Bech-Roy

Hutson-Reinbacher
Buium-Mailloux

2026-2027 Stanley Cup Champion.

• Wow
Reactions: Xirik

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I say like the Dach deal.

Jets pick + D man + ?
To get a tip six player
Who I don't know.
But KH will get a young guy ready to play on the 2nd line
When you say D-Man, who do you mean?

When you say +?, what do you mean?

If you mean WIN 1st + Guhle + Roy/Beck, for instance, I'm convinced Hughes can get an excellent, proven, top-6 youngster as a forward. Every degree down from such an offer reduces the quality the young, top-6 player, or how proven that player actually is.

If we cheapest on the quality the package, it's to get a less proven player like a Holtz, with remaining upside, for example and it will look more like a trade for Newhook than a trade for Dach..

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I agree that some times it is the best course to follow, but here, we don't have an abundance of vets to give away. So, within that perspective, I think it would be best to trade some waiver eligible D. It would make room for a depth signing or a waiver claim, if injuries oblige. Then we can be patient with the group we have.

I'm not sure there are many available for a late pick in this draft. I don't think we could get Turcotte or Marvik Bourque.
LA would probably want far more than Turcotte is worth.

Reactions: vokiel and Runner77

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Prediction:

By next year's trade deadline, Savard will be moved and Reinbacher will end the season at RD in Montreal.

With Matheson, it's less clear, because the D-Corps at the trade deadline could still look something like:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson -Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Next offseason, with one year left on his contract, Matheson could get moved for a 1st round pick and a good prospect, but Montreal would land a short-term RHD UFA to allow Guhle to return to LD.

Engstrom would become the 7th D and eventually replace Mailloux on the third pairing after he gets paired with Guhle:

Guhle - Mailloux
Hutson- Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Engstrom

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I think the move up likely doesn’t involve the 5th but the WPG pick.
Agreed
5 is our pick

When you say D-Man, who do you mean?

When you say +?, what do you mean?

If you mean WIN 1st + Guhle + Roy/Beck, for instance, I'm convinced Hughes can get an excellent, proven, top-6 youngster as a forward. Every degree down from such an offer reduces the quality the young, top-6 player, or how proven that player actually is.

If we cheapest on the quality the package, it's to get a less proven player like a Holtz, with remaining upside, for example and it will look more like a trade for Newhook than a trade for Dach..
So what do think they do?
Trade for what?
Move what player's?

Reactions: Runner77

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The Canadiens aren't going to trade (productive/useful) vets for picks anymore. That phase is over.
Don't think it is yet. I expect Savard, Armia and Dvorak to be traded next deadline (if there's a market). With Mailloux having 2 years of experience in the AHL and Reinbacher one it won't make any sense to keep Savard in 2025-2026 and losing him for nothing would not make any sense either. I've been saying since day one that the rebuild will end in the summer of 2025 (july 2nd) when most of the bad contracts will be over and Price's contract tradeable.

Took one game for Zegras to fall out of the top 6 at the world's
People who want us to pay the big price for him have not been watching him last year. He's been really bad.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's a good draft i could see him wanting to move up a couple of ranks from the Winnipeg pick if the price is right.
Hughes can definitely package quantity with the WIN pick, but he needs partner that prefers quantity over quality.

Which systems bare and which team has had few to no 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in recent years? That's a trade partner for a late first round pick.

Montreal has three 2nd round picks, five 3rd round picks and three 4th round picks, so far, over the next two drafts.

For a late 1st round pick, Montreal could package a prospect like Barron or Harris, the COL 2nd round pick in 2024, it's own 3rd round pick in 2024, it's own 4th round pick in 2024, the PIT 2nd round pick in 2025 and it's own 4th round pick in 2025.

Two 2nd round picks, one 3rd round picked two 4th round picks for a late first round pick.

With two later first round picks, and another prospect, Montreal could then move up mid first round in 2024.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Hughes can definitely package quantity with the WIN pick, but he needs partner that prefers quantity over quality.

Which systems bare and which team has had few to no 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in recent years? That's a trade partner for a late first round pick.

Montreal has three 2nd round picks, five 3rd round picks and three 4th round picks, so far, over the next two drafts.

For a late 1st round pick, Montreal could package a prospect like Barron or Harris, the COL 2nd round pick in 2024, it's own 3rd round pick in 2024, it's own 4th round pick in 2024, the PIT 2nd round pick in 2025 and it's own 4th round pick in 2025.

Two 2nd round picks, one 3rd round picked two 4th round picks for a late first round pick.

With two later first round picks, and another prospect, Montreal could then move up mid first round in 2024.
Good sensible plan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad