Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 2: Canucks vs. Sharks - We Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Hockey is supposed to be the entertainment. Not added gimmicks to make it appeal to dull markets.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Elite puck-moving dmen are going to rule 3v3. Gonna be fun to watch how Karlsson does, I think he is more built for it than the Sedins in all honesty.

Prime Sedins with prime Ehrhoff would have been something though.
I almost think the they should ditch having a defencemen and just go with Sedins and Burrows right off the bat.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I really don't know how I feel about the 3v3. It feels too gimmicky even though it is entertaining. Maybe the entertainment value will win me over over the season.

I like it better than shootouts because this way it's actually still a team 'event'.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Shinkaruk was the only Canuck not to see a second on the powerplay. I think there was an opportunity to give him a little more ice time considering we had 12 minutes of powerplay time.

There was an opportunity.

On the other hand, clearly the Canucks have planned that Shinkaruk spend another season developing in Utica and have pencilled Vey in for another season in Vancouver. While many posters dream for it to be otherwise, the likelihood of Shinkaruk being anything more than an injury callup for the Canucks in the early parts of this season are next to nil.

Further, getting him a small amount, say 2 minutes, of power play time against a mixed group including NHL, AHL, ECHL and junior players is not going to do anything significant in regard to his development. He'll get power play time this season in Utica.

I don't see anything wrong with using the preseason to try out power play combinations involving players who are the Canucks plan to actually have playing in Vancouver this season. There's nothing wrong with Vey getting that time in his first preseason game.

So, could the Canucks have given Shinkaruk some power play time? Yes. Would it have helped him or the team in the long run?

No.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I like it better than shootouts because this way it's actually still a team 'event'.

I've never had a problem with any of the OT changes: OT point, 4 on 4, Shootout, etc... but to me watching an extended 3 on 3 session there's just something that seems ergonomically off with it for the sport of hockey.

Up front a forward should have a partner to work with to put it on net for a rebound or wing it around the boards for the forecheck, be able to wing it around the boards for his partner to retrieve. On the blueline a dman should have a partner to pass it across to relieve pressure and help with the breakout or to get a better shot on net.

These two things are like core fundamental principles of hockey, and in 3 on 3 one of them is missing. Look no further than when the Sedin's started that bit of cycle last night, it just didn't look right. Sending the puck back to the point is basically a dangerous play in 3 on 3.

Additionally, due to that hole on the ice players end up skating a whole lot more and get bagged much quicker on the ice and it all looks kind of sloppy.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Pedan led the team in CF and C+/- last game.

Corrado came in at a close second.

With Hutton/Corrado/Subban/Corrado all tracking well our defensive prospect pool actually doesn't look too bad. Just lacks elite talent.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Elite puck-moving dmen are going to rule 3v3. Gonna be fun to watch how Karlsson does, I think he is more built for it than the Sedins in all honesty.

Prime Sedins with prime Ehrhoff would have been something though.

Toews - Kane
Keith

Kopitar - Gaborik/Carter
Doughty

Schwartz-Tarasenko
Pietrangelo

Crosby-Kessel
Letang

Gaudreau-Monahan/Bennett
Giordano

Getz-Perry
Vatanen

Drouin- Stamkos
Hedman

just to name a few. lots of scary 3 on 3 combos

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I think you could get away with 3 forwards pretty easily actually. From what we saw last night there is basically 0 systems going on with that much room. Hamhuis was our deepest player for a while.

Pens could go Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and probably end it in 30 seconds. I guess if you really don't like 3v3 you could also stack 3 dmen and hold the fort until the shootout.

One thing I know for sure, coaches will do their best to take advantage of it until we have to change the rules again.

arsmaster*

So, could the Canucks have given Shinkaruk some power play time? Yes. Would it have helped him or the team in the long run?

No.

If the idea is to develop your offensive prospects in offensive situations ie. the PP, then it would certainly benefit the team going forward.

If the long run is only this season, sure don't give him a look, but then why the hell are they even playing some of these guys in preseason....is Cannata going to get NHL games this year?

You're basically saying only use the top 14 or 15 forward and 8 or 9 D because those are the guys that will help this_year. I'd like to think developing your prospects and exposing them to situations in preseason is part and parcel for the course, I mean ****, if we're using Linden Vey for 5mins on the PP in the regular season, we're going to be crap....or even the 0:45 Dorsett and Prust got....you telling me they deserved it because they're going to help the PP in the long run? :help:

arsmaster*

Pedan led the team in CF and C+/- last game.

Corrado came in at a close second.

With Hutton/Corrado/Subban/Corrado all tracking well our defensive prospect pool actually doesn't look too bad. Just lacks elite talent.

Single game Corsi, especially in the preseason is pretty much a nice to see, but completely meaningless.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I am irritated that Subban did not get any pre season games. I know last year he scored, and there was a write up that probably got someone fired.

I felt Subban was the best player on the ice in Penticton, and its annoying to think that there may be more at play here. I am not going to go further into it, but as a fan I am pissed.

Conversely, I am glad McCann is having a real opportunity to showcase his skills. I still think he needs another 20 pounds but barring injuries, its obvious what this kid could become.

I think the lack of scoring can be attributed to the coach being out. Everyone inherently slacks when the boss is gone. Hopefully, we will have something to cheer about Friday.

Yes...zero games for Subban....scratched in favour of AHL lifers like Fedun and Biega...and you can count on Pedan getting a long look because Benning expended a third-rounder to bring him here.....it's more than annoying imo....it sucks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yes...zero games for Subban....scratched in favour of AHL lifers like Fedun and Biega...and you can count on Pedan getting a long look because Benning expended a third-rounder to bring him here.....it's more than annoying imo....it sucks.

Fedun and Biega should both get 3-4 games each. They're 8-9 on the depth chart now and should be learning systems and competing to be the first callup. And if we get an injury, one of those guys will stick. They need the games.

But with 8 preseason games, there is room for a lot more than 9 guys + 1 prospect (Hutton) to get some games.

Of course, John Negrin is still here so we're probably going to see the annual wasted game on him at some point. :shakehead

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ahmon said:
Gaudreau-Monahan/Bennett
Yeah, interesting times to see this it is going to work

Little Johnny G should have a great time of it, he is so slippery with the pick and turns on a dime.

Mcdavid's insane speed vs 1 defender, pray that they are not slow or out of position.

Watching a prime Jagr play 3 on 3 would have been something. 5 mins of Jagr's ass being shoved in someone's face while he just skated around with the puck until he got bored and decided to score.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've heard hockey analysts and players talk many times that in the preseason they will often give the players low ice time because they want to see how they play when they are cold from being on the bench so long. These guys have logged heavy minutes much of their career, and some guys can't handle the change. The fact is if these guys make the team it will be in a limited role so they want to see the fit.

The freaking out on this board about the handling of young players is insane..

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The freaking out on this board about the handling of young players is insane..

Because we have such a great long track record of developing young players?

It is game 1 and 2 of preseason for gods sake, if there was ever a time to play young developing players more minutes than they should be it was the last two nights.

Alexistheman

Jun 28, 2007
Surrey

Its baffling because they took him out of the third game at prospects camp to reward him so he could be fresh for main camp. I dont get it...

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Mike Addesa happened.

lmao if it somehow turned out to be true that something between subban and addesa happened it would be like three orders of magnitude worse than anything the administration has done to date. i hate them and want them gone forever but even i couldnt assume that far

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
lmao if it somehow turned out to be true that something between subban and addesa happened it would be like three orders of magnitude worse than anything the administration has done to date. i hate them and want them gone forever but even i couldnt assume that far

At this point it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

He has a history of not liking black people with some swagger. Jordan definitely has that swagger when he plays. There is no legit reason that he would get sent down before even getting a game. Benning is close friends with Addesa. Benning has shown he's a dinosaur.

Unless they explain why Subban got sent down I will go ahead and assume the worse.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
At this point it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

He has a history of not liking black people with some swagger. Jordan definitely has that swagger when he plays. There is no legit reason that he would get sent down before even getting a game. Benning is close friends with Addesa. Benning has shown he's a dinosaur.

Unless they explain why Subban got sent down I will go ahead and assume the worse.

Assuming the worst in people is not a good way to go about things, my friend. I can't see for all the thick clouds around your judgement in this case.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
eh, as the bus driver of the "fire benning into the sun" bandwagon it would still surprise me, though having half a dozen people on hfboards defend it wouldnt surprise me in the least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad