Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season GM 2: Canucks vs. Sharks - We Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I haven't seen you post one positive thing about this team. I understand there are issues, but the 1-2-3-4 got the canucks into the playoffs when many were betting against them. Sure it didn't work in the playoffs, and during the last couple of games there they changed things up. Yes, it was too late but at least they eventually recognized it. That is progress.

I've posted plenty of positive things about the players themselves but the coaching and management teams have done nothing recently to deserve positive praise. When/if they do something positive I will give them credit for it just like when I gave them credit for the Baertschi trade and Vrbata signing.

And this is another great example of lazily calling someone a hater. Look at my post history and find my negative posts about Vrbata, Horvat or Eddie Lack's performance last year. Oh there are none? Guess I'm just a hater. Hate hate hate.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
- Cassels clearly thinks the game well. Just want to take Cassels's brain and put it in Virtanen's body. Lots of good subtle plays but looks really tired skating. Either he's still injured or he needs to see a skating coach daily. His smarts lead me to believe he will be an NHler for us down the road.

Couldn't agree more. Jole Casstanen would be an absolute star.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
There were 18mins of power-plays in the game and Shinkaruk wasn't getting any special teams time last night, kinda makes sense he was below 10mins, not seeing what the big deal is.

Shinkaruk is a long shot to get any time with the Canucks this year anyway, I can't say I care too much if he doesn't play a lot, he'll be getting his development and evaluation time in the AHL as a top 6 forward (hopefully).

At the other end, Cassels led the rookies with over 16mins, so there are clearly guys that they want to get a closer look at.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
So who is remaining now out of the prospects? Next game is Friday in Calgary, I would like to see McCann get a larger role in the next game and would REALLY like if they put Gaunce back at centre for at least a game. I think both of those guys could be a bitter fit on the 4th line than Vey although I doubt it actually happens.

If Shinkaruk isn't going to get more than a few minutes they might as well send him to the Comets although I don't agree with that message. Still 6 preseason games to go, they should be giving the prospects more evaluation time, we already know what we are getting with the veterans.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
There were 18mins of power-plays in the game and Shinkaruk wasn't getting any special teams time last night, kinda makes sense he was below 10mins, not seeing what the big deal is.

Shinkaruk is a long shot to get any time with the Canucks this year anyway, I can't say I care too much if he doesn't play a lot, he'll be getting his development and evaluation time in the AHL as a top 6 forward (hopefully).

At the other end, Cassels led the rookies with over 16mins, so there are clearly guys that they want to get a closer look at.

Shinkaruk was the only Canuck not to see a second on the powerplay. I think there was an opportunity to give him a little more ice time considering we had 12 minutes of powerplay time.

arsmaster*

Shinkaruk was the only Canuck not to see a second on the powerplay. I think there was an opportunity to give him a little more ice time considering we had 12 minutes of powerplay time.

McCann was having a whale of a game and he ended up at 12, Shink 9.....Linden Vey had 20.

If you can get Dorsett and Prust 40 seconds on the PP, I don;t see why Shinkaruk can't.

Especially when LV had 5 minutes of PP icetime.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I'd imagine that the next game (v. Calgary) is still split squads. Of the guys they just assigned to Utica, Junior or released, only Kurtz was on the Monday night roster. As Hutton played back to backs, maybe Corrado draws in? With Higgins injured and Kurtz assigned to Utica, they will likely add a couple of veterans up front - maybe Dorsett (with Jones and Jensen) and Kenins (with Horvat and Hansen).

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I am irritated that Subban did not get any pre season games. I know last year he scored, and there was a write up that probably got someone fired.

I felt Subban was the best player on the ice in Penticton, and its annoying to think that there may be more at play here. I am not going to go further into it, but as a fan I am pissed.

Conversely, I am glad McCann is having a real opportunity to showcase his skills. I still think he needs another 20 pounds but barring injuries, its obvious what this kid could become.

I think the lack of scoring can be attributed to the coach being out. Everyone inherently slacks when the boss is gone. Hopefully, we will have something to cheer about Friday.

arsmaster*

I'd imagine that the next game (v. Calgary) is still split squads. Of the guys they just assigned to Utica, Junior or released, only Kurtz was on the Monday night roster. As Hutton played back to backs, maybe Corrado draws in? With Higgins injured and Kurtz assigned to Utica, they will likely add a couple of veterans up front - maybe Dorsett (with Jones and Jensen) and Kenins (with Horvat and Hansen).

How I'd run the next one:

Shinkaruk-Jones-Grenier
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Kenins/Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen
Gaunce/Kenins-Cassels-Hansen

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver

He's a pretty average AHL player at this point with his chances of playing in the NHL fading with each draft. He'll have to really light it up this season to get a call up.

He's just not on the Canucks radar much at all right now, whether you agree with it or not.

At any rate, pouring over pre-season ice times and trying to read anything into it is probably a bit silly.

arsmaster*

He's a pretty average AHL player at this point with his chances of playing in the NHL fading with each draft. He'll have to really light it up this season to get a call up.

He's just not on the Canucks radar much at all right now, whether you agree with it or not.

At any rate, pouring over pre-season ice times and trying to read anything into it is probably a bit silly.

To counter your other point about 18 PIM's happening, that leaves 47 other minutes (or almost 12m on average)....why in the sweet heck is Shinkaruk and Grenier getting 9 and 6 minutes at ES?

I mean, do the coaches really need to see Vey for 15mins at ES or 5 on the PP....they've already seen him for 80+ games.

It would be pretty unfortunate to send Shinkaruk back down with 9mins of preseason on his belt so guys like Dorsett, Prust and Vey (who the coaches know well) can nearly double the ice time.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

If only we had taken Theodore with that pick...sigh.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To counter your other point about 18 PIM's happening, that leaves 47 other minutes (or almost 12m on average)....why in the sweet heck is Shinkaruk and Grenier getting 9 and 6 minutes at ES?

I mean, do the coaches really need to see Vey for 15mins at ES or 5 on the PP....they've already seen him for 80+ games.

It would be pretty unfortunate to send Shinkaruk back down with 9mins of preseason on his belt so guys like Dorsett, Prust and Vey (who the coaches know well) can nearly double the ice time.

17 ES minutes for Dorsett and 6 for Grenier.

Obviously the PPs are going to skew the icetime of the Sedins and Hamhuis-Weber (who all need practice in that situation ahead of the season) a bit but there is literally zero reason the other 3 lines shouldn't have been rolled equally.

arsmaster*

17 ES minutes for Dorsett and 6 for Grenier.

Obviously the PPs are going to skew the icetime of the Sedins and Hamhuis-Weber (who all need practice in that situation ahead of the season) a bit but there is literally zero reason the other 3 lines shouldn't have been rolled equally.

There is no reason, its stupidity.

Hey Hunter, we want you to be a top player in the AHL this year, we expect you to be confident and creative. *gives him 9 minutes, likely sends him down two days later*

"Real good" way to build confidence, yet the golden boy gets 20 mins.

Mofletz

Aug 28, 2006
Our management is trying to change the way Hunter views himself as a player. They are most likely telling him that for him to be useful in the NHL he needs to become an all round 2 way player. aka Grinder

Jensen was told this as well, Virtanen will be told this as well in some point in his career, basically destroying our players potential to become top 6 forwards.

It wasn't good enough for Kassian to score 5 goals in 7 ish games with the Twins, he needed to be able to play defence.

This logic is absurd.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It's like they are teaching the players how to not lose rather than how to win. If we are going to be a bad team (which all signs point to) I would at least like to see us score some goals while losing.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I was at the game last night. I had great seats (centre ice, row 19). Everyone should have been playing better. It was a very weak effort. I thought Burrows was the best player; at least his hustle was noticeable.

The 3 vs. 3 overtime was quite the spectacle, though. It is definitely an improvement over the now-very-stale shootout.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
I really don't know how I feel about the 3v3. It feels too gimmicky even though it is entertaining. Maybe the entertainment value will win me over over the season.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

:shakehead

He's had ONE year in the AHL, after coming off of a serious injury. He was one of the youngest players in the AHL as well. I wouldn't say his chances of playing in the NHL are fading, but he does need a strong season (like any prospect in his position would).

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Elite puck-moving dmen are going to rule 3v3. Gonna be fun to watch how Karlsson does, I think he is more built for it than the Sedins in all honesty.

Prime Sedins with prime Ehrhoff would have been something though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad