GDT: Pre-Season Game #7 vs. Ottawa Senators (6PM ET on TVA Sports, TSN690 & 98.5 FM)

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Lol god, it f***ing blows my mind NObody seems to be able to get that heads up pass from Slaf,
Everybody misses it , it leaves the zone, and everybody gets mad at SLAF ffs lol

If you're not BY NOW on board with the rest of us, INCLUDING the new GM's no less, everybody is on the boat right now except you.

I'd honestly suggest not watching the habs for a year or two bub.
When we come back and make port, we'll toss you the rope, you better catch it.
That pass sailing out of the zone is a communication problem. IMO it’s not Slaf nor the other players fault. He’d always stick that pass last season. The problem is there was so many players at camp and so many injuries, no one’s played with stable linemates.

Edit: Monahan had the same issue yesterday. Bad pass sailing off through the Center led to a goal.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The tricky thing with a rebuild is you dont want to establish a losing anti-competitive culture because it hinder the recovery process when its time to win. Buffalo is a good example of it where even when they tried to start competing around 2016/17 they couldn't.

For me its all about player development. I cant stand losing in the way we did under Dom where no one looked good and the games were negatively impacting player development. Losing and occasionally winning while seeing improvement in how players perform is the most optimal way forward.

With the lottery format and how deep the draft is this year, winning the occasional game and finishing in the top 5 isnt too bad at all.
That was my biggest concern last year. We were slowly establishing a losing, anti-competitive culture. Which is why, even though a portion of the tank crowd wanted DD to stay. So that we could continue losing at a rapid pace. I wanted him out, since it was easy for me to see that the players were not responding to him. The teams record slightly improved after MSL joined, but that wasn't the important part for me. The important part was I saw the young players start to play more to their capabilities. You could also see the players attitudes change, both on the ice and during interviews.

Like you, I'm all about development. Whether it be for our young players, or even the younger veterans. The fact that the team's management, and coaching staff seems to feel the same way. Has me excited for this upcoming season.

I still don't enjoy losing, and you'll never see me hope for a loss. At the same time, if we do lose. There is a purpose behind the loss. So if the boys play well, keep improving. While having the games be competitive. I'm all for that.

I agree with the last part as well. As nice as it would be to grab a Bedard. With all the positives I've seen from our prospect guru's here. A bottom 5 finish wouldn't be so bad.

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
When are the final cuts?

The dream of 0 win in 90 games is very well alive.
Why are you even here then? Since you want our young developing team to fail and underachieve and not develop as that’s what it would take to get Bedard

Last edited:

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
That pass sailing out of the zone is a communication problem. IMO it’s not Slaf nor the other players fault. He’d always stick that pass last season. The problem is there was so many players at camp and so many injuries, no one’s played with stable linemates.

Edit: Monahan had the same issue yesterday. Bad pass sailing off through the Center led to a goal.

Evans almost scored the 2nd time Slaf tried that pass but sens goalie made a great save but yeah once the guys know eachother a little more we’ll see more plays connecting.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
That was my biggest concern last year. We were slowly establishing a losing, anti-competitive culture. Which is why, even though a portion of the tank crowd wanted DD to stay. So that we could continue losing at a rapid pace. I wanted him out, since it was easy for me to see that the players were not responding to him. The teams record slightly improved after MSL joined, but that wasn't the important part for me. The important part was I saw the young players start to play more to their capabilities. You could also see the players attitudes change, both on the ice and during interviews.

Like you, I'm all about development. Whether it be for our young players, or even the younger veterans. The fact that the team's management, and coaching staff seems to feel the same way. Has me excited for this upcoming season.

I still don't enjoy losing, and you'll never see me hope for a loss. At the same time, if we do lose. There is a purpose behind the loss. So if the boys play well, keep improving. While having the games be competitive. I'm all for that.

I agree with the last part as well. As nice as it would be to grab a Bedard. With all the positives I've seen from our prospect guru's here. A bottom 5 finish wouldn't be so bad.
“You play to win” someone said that before. But I don’t know how much courage and good intentions can do with our defence. We might not get Bedard but we’ll be embarrassingly bad.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
You will be a sad puppy for a while if you don’t embrace the lose.
Tell that to the players and they’d slap you. You’re hoping for failure which also means failure to develop. You can’t say otherwise. If our young guys develop even half of what we thought they would they still wouldn’t get Bedard or the odds be hugely not in their favour. A horrible season means horrible development

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I understand the whole cost thing and all that BS...but what if in preseason, you play against teams you are not used to be playing during regular season instead of already trying to kill each other because you already hate the team you are playing against, hence starting the year with less injuries....
You know as well as I do that it's all about the Benjamins. We play the Leafs, it's a guaranteed sellout, in which both teams split the profits. Same goes for if we play the Senators. All teams usually play other teams located close to them for this reason.

Also during the pre-season, regardless of who we play. There's always going to be opposing players who are out to prove something. So I honestly don't think it would make a difference on whether we play the Sens. Or if we flew to Arizona to play the Coyotes.

“You play to win” someone said that before. But I don’t know how much courage and good intentions can do with our defence. We might not get Bedard but we’ll be embarrassingly bad.
No doubt, but that's how we as fans are thinking. I can almost guarantee that is not what the players, coaches or management are thinking.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
You know as well as I do that it's all about the Benjamins. We play the Leafs, it's a guaranteed sellout, in which both teams split the profits. Same goes for if we play the Senators. All teams usually play other teams located close to them for this reason.

Also during the pre-season, regardless of who we play. There's always going to be opposing players who are out to prove something. So I honestly don't think it would make a difference on whether we play the Sens. Or if we flew to Arizona to play the Coyotes.

No doubt, but that's how we as fans are thinking. I can almost guarantee that is not what the players, coaches or management are thinking.

Agreed. As a rule, Coaches and players want to win. Their pride and livelihood in on the line. But it’s happened in the past either the GM or owner do blatant moves to tank.

Reactions: donghabs98

Fainting Couch

Jun 21, 2019
If you choose to use WE like you are part of the team and then proceed to shit talk said team doesn't that make you a shitty teammate? A rat? Weasel even?

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
If you choose to use WE like you are part of the team and then proceed to shit talk said team doesn't that make you a shitty teammate? A rat? Weasel even?
As much as I use “we” to make me feel part of something, I’m nothing more than a hot dog eating and beer chugging fan. I’m trying to give an objective assessment with colourful language. When I played mildly competitive sports, I would focus under similar circumstances on beating the odds. So no, I was not a shitty teammate, nor a rat, nor a weasel.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Tell that to the players and they’d slap you. You’re hoping for failure which also means failure to develop. You can’t say otherwise. If our young guys develop even half of what we thought they would they still wouldn’t get Bedard or the odds be hugely not in their favour. A horrible season means horrible development
Nope. I’m hoping for entertainment while the habs build a team from scratch. Hoping for an upward curve in player performance which will also contribute to my entertainment. Hoping habs build a fast, tough, big time offensive team over the next years. Hoping that momentum attracts big time ufas for a cup run eventually.

Habs won’t be winning many games this year, and they certainly won’t be developing very fast if the kids aren’t put in learning situations they will often fail at and learn from.

I’m not a player Lol, of course they have to have the pedal to the floor!

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Crazy how quickly he got on their nerves. He's only played like 3 games against them and its not even games where anything is on the line. Yet in that time he has taken on their toughness players and decisively roughed then up. Its been a long time since we had a guy who's come in and done that.
And he doesn't even look like he's trying. He's just casually going about playing his normal style of hockey, more intent on making good plays than hitting. Imagine if he started getting really mean.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

To be, there's proving something. And preparing the rest of the year. You know that the animosity is ALREADY there with the Sens. Or the Bruins. Or the Leafs. Everything else would still be hard fought hockey...but without the ''message needed to be sent'' or hatred from the previous year or even years. So there's a difference.

But yeah...the almighty dollar sign. As if they never have enough despite stealing from fans with their insane ticket prices and food...

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
To be, there's proving something. And preparing the rest of the year. You know that the animosity is ALREADY there with the Sens. Or the Bruins. Or the Leafs. Everything else would still be hard fought hockey...but without the ''message needed to be sent'' or hatred from the previous year or even years. So there's a difference.

But yeah...the almighty dollar sign. As if they never have enough despite stealing from fans with their insane ticket prices and food...
I liked that we played New Jersey and Buffalo in the prospects tournament, two teams with who we have no historical rivalry and less risk of pent-up bad blood and resentment. Nevertheless, icing a guy like Xhekaj who plays only one way, “mean”, won’t make us many friends.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

You make a great point. Players on those teams are probably more likely to try and make a statement against us. But we both agree that the almighty dollar is what calls the shots. Playing teams that are close to us (location wise). Makes the most sense for them. Less money in travel costs, hotels, food etc. I guess the players welfare is a secondary though.

Haha yeah, sadly my friend. It is never enough.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
So I'm a bit last minute here (understatement), but I just called the arena in Bouctouche to see if any tickets were available and apparently they were given out to local residents by way of a draw. So I was wondering if anyone here had a ticket for sale? It's a long shot but eh, worth the try.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

Attachments

• HPIM1509a.JPG
    HPIM1509a.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 2
  • HPIM1505.JPG
    HPIM1505.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 1

Jul 6, 2016
Hoffman and Dvorak injured. Armia , too. Matheson : therapy day. Drouin ????

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He only drops the mitts when he's sure he can win a fight or when he can jump the guy before. He's a typical fake tough guy.

He's actually dropped with a few nasty boys along the way, gotta give him some credit. Manson, Webs, Hayden, Lemieux etc, he's always sticking up for that worm Stutzle who has never answered for anything in his life. I hate him because he's a Sen, but man... we could have had him as part of the core rebuild.. that would have been sweet.

Hoffman and Dvorak injured. Armia , too. Matheson : therapy day. Drouin ????

Dvorak probably broke his jaw trying to smile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad