GDT: Pre-Season Game 6 - Coyotes @ Canucks - 7PM - NHL Network!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Chychrun continues to impress, I wonder if we consider moving a D? There's some value there in clearing a contract and recouping some picks. We only have 4 picks in the 2017 draft. Lots of teams, like Ottawa, still looking for D depth too.

Say Chychrun makes the team and we trade Dahlbeck. That still leaves us with:

Arizona left-D
Ekman-Larsson
Goligoski
Chychrun
7th = Connauton

Tucson left-D
Tinordi
Mermis
Hache

It sure is nice to have all this depth. What a great problem to have. JC has done an outstanding job.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'd probably just assign Dahlbeck. He probably won't get claimed during the mass waivers period of end of camp. I think Chychrun belongs in the OHL though.

Ditto. He's still got a lot of potential, and I'd hate to see it limited by being rushed.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ditto. He's still got a lot of potential, and I'd hate to see it limited by being rushed.

I'd like to take the most patient route, honestly. Everyone will disagree but I'd have signed a couple of extra vets with the plan in mind of:

Dvorak: AHL
Crouse: OHL
Fischer: OHL
Chychrun: OHL
DeAngelo: AHL
Dauphin: AHL

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'd like to take the most patient route, honestly. Everyone will disagree but I'd have signed a couple of extra vets with the plan in mind of:

Agreed on all but Dvorak and Dauphin.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd have gone:

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Vrbata
Rieder-Richardson-Doan
Martinook-*D.Moore-White
*M.Brown

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Connauton-Schenn
Dahlbeck-Michalek

Next season we replace Vrbata, Richardson, Doan, Moore, White, Brown, Michalek, and Schenn with a much more pro-ready group of kids.

Feb 12, 2003
Do you ever see NHL teams say, "I wish we would have taken (Player) out of junior/minors/etc. sooner."? Maybe it is something that gets thrown around, but I've never noticed it. I'm with RT that I think the best approach might be to overcook these guys.

My thought process on this is would you rather have a guy like Strome and Dvorak playing for your team right now or in a year or two? The answer to that should always be the latter if you are thinking long term. By not eating up a contract year when the player is young, developing, and underproductive you are saving up years that player can be a major contributor to your team and help it to win. Right now, these players are just helping to not lose as much or as badly.

Once they go pro though, then you really have to decide what is best for the players development and the team because you are using up contract years at that point.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd have gone:

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Vrbata
Rieder-Richardson-Doan
Martinook-*D.Moore-White
*M.Brown

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Connauton-Schenn
Dahlbeck-Michalek

Next season we replace Vrbata, Richardson, Doan, Moore, White, Brown, Michalek, and Schenn with a much more pro-ready group of kids.

I understand this strategy, but that's a ton of kids to throw into the lineup in one shot next year.

Re: Fischer - seems the thinking is the AHL will give him a new challenge. There's no denying he basically manhandled the OHL last year, as a rookie. So having him push his game to the next level in Tucson may be more valuable than playing on a top level squad in Windsor.

rt

May 13, 2004
I understand this strategy, but that's a ton of kids to throw into the lineup in one shot next year.

Re: Fischer - seems the thinking is the AHL will give him a new challenge. There's no denying he basically manhandled the OHL last year, as a rookie. So having him push his game to the next level in Tucson may be more valuable than playing on a top level squad in Windsor.

Dvorak has a year of pro under his belt. Dauphin hopefully actually has some pro success. Dvorak replaced. Richardson and Dauphin replaces Moore. Samuelsson hopefully has a big AHL season and replaces White. Fischer is hopefully dominant at the WJC and Mem Cup, hopefully wins some hardware and comes in with a ton more experience and swagger. Replaces Vrbata. Crouse can spend next season in the AHL.

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Fischer
Rieder-Dvorak-Doan(?)
Martinook-Dauphin-Samuelsson

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'd have gone:

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Vrbata
Rieder-Richardson-Doan
Martinook-*D.Moore-White
*M.Brown

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Connauton-Schenn
Dahlbeck-Michalek

Part of the problem here is that there's no more room for a veteran, cap-wise. LTIR won't kick in until after they need to be cap compliant. Would having Dom Moore over Laurent Dauphin for a year be worth not having Crouse?

The other thing to be mindful of, as Mosby rightly pointed out, is that with so many kids in the pipeline, you have to be methodical about integrating them. We had three rookie forwards last year (Domi, Duclair and Martinook). I don't think Crouse or Fischer will stick around, which leaves three for this year (Strome, Dvorak and Dauphin). Then next year, you can bring up a couple more (let's say MacInnis and Fischer) and then two more the following year (Crouse and Keller). Consider also there'll be some new defensemen making the jump each year (let's say Deangelo and maybe Chychrun next year, Wood or Mayo the following year, Capobianco, et al).

You don't want to rush anyone or even count your chickens before they hatch, but you also want to make sure each player has a real path when he's ready.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'd have gone:

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Vrbata
Rieder-Richardson-Doan
Martinook-*D.Moore-White
*M.Brown

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Connauton-Schenn
Dahlbeck-Michalek

That will set back the rebuild by a year. We need to incorporate the majority of kids in this year to season them so that next year we can compete in the playoffs. We aren't going far if we have 6 rookies on the team next year. Better that they get their growing pains in this year.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Part of the problem here is that there's no more room for a veteran, cap-wise. LTIR won't kick in until after they need to be cap compliant. Would having Dom Moore over Laurent Dauphin for a year be worth not having Crouse?

The other thing to be mindful of, as Mosby rightly pointed out, is that with so many kids in the pipeline, you have to be methodical about integrating them. We had three rookie forwards last year (Domi, Duclair and Martinook). I don't think Crouse or Fischer will stick around, which leaves three for this year (Strome, Dvorak and Dauphin). Then next year, you can bring up a couple more (let's say MacInnis and Fischer) and then two more the following year (Crouse and Keller). Consider also there'll be some new defensemen making the jump each year (let's say Deangelo and maybe Chychrun next year, Wood or Mayo the following year, Capobianco, et al).

You don't want to rush anyone or even count your chickens before they hatch, but you also want to make sure each player has a real path when he's ready.

I don't see any way that Crouse stays in the AHL until the 2018-19 season.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not sure how confident I am that we can sneak Dahlbeck through waivers. Maybe if we time it right, but he's likely ahead of all the crap D that will be on waivers. At least Dahlbeck has proven he can play at the NHL level if required (bottom pairing on a bad team).

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Not sure how confident I am that we can sneak Dahlbeck through waivers. Maybe if we time it right, but he's likely ahead of all the crap D that will be on waivers. At least Dahlbeck has proven he can play at the NHL level if required (bottom pairing on a bad team).

I always thought that at some point before the year began, we would wind up making a decision on Dahlbeck/Connauton.

Some team out there is going to lose a player on the left hand side, and we wind up recouping a 4th round pick (or something along those lines) for either. There just isn't much room there with Tinordi, Mermis, and Chychrun in the pipeline. We can squeeze about 10-20 games out of Tinordi or Mermis, if need be. Once that happens, Chychrun may be NHL ready next year.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Dahlbeck is an easy loss. Be nice to have a familiar D in the AHL but he can't play in all three zones and K.Conn can, so I don't think it's particularly close or a hard decision on who goes.

I'm fairly confident they'll wave Dahlbeck, even if they only get 9 games of Chychrun out of losing him.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
As for Tinordi, how does his suspension work? He still owes 4 games. Do we have to keep him on the roster in order for him to burn that time, or can it be served in the AHL?

*Mouser signal*

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
As for Tinordi, how does his suspension work? He still owes 4 games. Do we have to keep him on the roster in order for him to burn that time, or can it be served in the AHL?

Has to be on the active roster to serve them - AHL time doesn't count.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Strome would have to go down as well. DVO has looked significantly better and it wouldn't make sense to send him down and keep Strome up when your goal is to overcook everyone.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

The only one I disagree with is Dvorak and possibly Fischer who I think can handle the AHL but I can see the OHL argument as well.

rt

May 13, 2004
That will set back the rebuild by a year. We need to incorporate the majority of kids in this year to season them so that next year we can compete in the playoffs. We aren't going far if we have 6 rookies on the team next year. Better that they get their growing pains in this year.

Too many early pains ruins them forever. I'm risk averse.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Strome will not see a single benefit from playing in the OHL. There is plenty to learn in the AHL for Dvorak.

Agreed about Strome, he has to play in the NHL this year, another year playing against the OHL kids would be a waste.

Dvorak I think has the ability to step in and play, I don't think he needs over-cooking in the AHL. Domi didn't need it and I don't think he does either.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Agreed about Strome, he has to play in the NHL this year, another year playing against the OHL kids would be a waste.

Dvorak I think has the ability to step in and play, I don't think he needs over-cooking in the AHL. Domi didn't need it and I don't think he does either.

What if Strome is not ready? The Coyotes look smart sending Domi back and waiting. I want Strome to make the team because he is ready. If he is not ready, keeping him up because we don't like sending him back is not a good reason for him to make the team. He has to play on the top 2 lines. Tip will cut his minutes, play him on the wing on the third line, healthy scratch him, if he is not ready. This forum would blow up if that happens. Not good for the player or team.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We've asked Strome to produce at the NHL level. Scoring in the preseason isn't a great marker, but he leads all Coyotes with 4 points (*tied with Domi and Goligoski). He'd held up his end of the bargain. You'll recall that Domi at 18 and 19 didn't produce in the preseason. Chances yes, but no results.

I'm more concerned about Dvorak and this fixation on Dauphin. If Dvorak doesn't dress tomorrow, that could be it for him. Which leaves us with Hanzal-Strome-Richardson-Dauphin down the middle. Not terrible, but not my preference.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Even if Dvorak doesn't start the season, he's a hour and a half away for a call up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What if Strome is not ready? The Coyotes look smart sending Domi back and waiting. I want Strome to make the team because he is ready. If he is not ready, keeping him up because we don't like sending him back is not a good reason for him to make the team. He has to play on the top 2 lines. Tip will cut his minutes, play him on the wing on the third line, healthy scratch him, if he is not ready. This forum would blow up if that happens. Not good for the player or team.

I just can't see him going back to junior. He has nothing at all to prove there and I think he would develop more in the NHL and being around our skating coach.

We've asked Strome to produce at the NHL level. Scoring in the preseason isn't a great marker, but he leads all Coyotes with 4 points (*tied with Domi and Goligoski). He'd held up his end of the bargain. You'll recall that Domi at 18 and 19 didn't produce in the preseason. Chances yes, but no results.

I'm more concerned about Dvorak and this fixation on Dauphin. If Dvorak doesn't dress tomorrow, that could be it for him. Which leaves us with Hanzal-Strome-Richardson-Dauphin down the middle. Not terrible, but not my preference.

I think Dvorak will dress tomorrow, but I believe while Dauphin hustles and is fast, he will be in the AHL. Either way, many hard decisions to make in the next couple of days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad