Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #5: Canucks 1 vs. Kings 4

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Pettersson shouldnt play anymore preaseason games. I dont think he has more to prove. It is a long season anyway.
Disagree..
Coaches need to establish the structure of the top 6 still....
He still needs to show vs higher NHL calibre lineups rather than the AHL/prospect filled lineups hes faced so far.

I mean its clear he'll make it.. but his usage is yet to be determined.

Reactions: travhave

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Disagree..
Coaches need to establish the structure of the top 6 still....
He still needs to show vs higher NHL calibre lineups rather than the AHL/prospect filled lineups hes faced so far.

I mean its clear he'll make it.. but his usage is yet to be determined.
I dont think one bad game will bump him from center and it is bound to come.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Dahlen could have had a space on this club. Just his speed and puckhandling alone should be in our top nine. He's still very raw but we don't have anyone better than him for the role he could have filled. Hopefully he comes back quickly.

Goldobin is not a NHL player. The guy plays like his controller is disconnected in the defensive zone and is just off in his own universe. I don't see anything in this guy that says top six NHL player and I wonder if he even knows where he is a lot of the time while watching him on the ice. He just seems lost out there. I can understand how he would confuse scouts into thinking he's a classic enigmatic Russian with strong offensive potential as he plays that Kovalev/Radulov style but he just doesn't have the skill to be at this level to play that style.

I agree Petterson has proven he's a NHL player but I figure we should be playing him just so he can get used to 6'5 Good Ol' Canadian boy headhunting. I like his tenacity a lot though and I think he'll be fine. I do think this season is going to be a tremendous physical struggle for him as it is for all young Europeans who come over. It's a shame we don't have some talent to insulate him but Benning gonna Benning.

Last edited:

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Goldobin is not a NHL player. The guy plays like his controller is disconnected in the defensive zone and is just off in his own universe. I don't see anything in this guy that says top six NHL

So what does the coach see in goldobin that he deserves a spot over dahlen?

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend

We traded one of the best Canucks of this generation for him in a desperation trade and he's an enigmatic Russian who looks like he has flashes of offensive magic before you realize you've been watching it for several games straight without him ever really doing anything.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
We traded one of the best Canucks of this generation for him in a desperation trade and he's an enigmatic Russian who looks like he has flashes of offensive magic before you realize you've been watching it for several games straight without him ever really doing anything.
Kinda worrying if he cant produce with Pettersson.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not really?

Forsberg played for the predators before he was sent down to the ahl and the next season basically split time.

The leafs kept Nylander down because they were tanking for Matthews.

In both cases its important to note that they didn't have European assignment clauses since most GMs wouldn't put that into an elc.

There has not typically been much of an adjustment period between Allsvenskan and NHL. I would expect to see Dahlen back soon. I would be supremely disappointed if he spent the whole season in Utica. That would be quite bad.

Is that really the case with Sweden's tier 2 league? I'd think most prospects would typically becoming from the elite league first... looking at the few names Nylander spent time in Swe-1 (2nd tier league) but then moved up to Modo in the Elite league for half a season in his draft year, and half a season in D+1 before moving to the AHL. Forsberg was all Swe-1, but he didn't immediately make the jump to the NHL.

Either way though it's not all or nothing. Starting in the AHL and being a mid season NHL injury call up is another phase in prospect development that you usually need with kids who aren't in the Boeser/Pettersson class.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm not capable of making a scouting report on Goldobin, but sometimes the only way a young guy is going to make it in the NHL is by letting him have some extended playing. So it kind of depends on who we have, but if the alternative is Sam Gagner in the top 6 I'd rather they give Goldobin a good 10 game trial period with Pettersson-Boeser or whoever.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Is that really the case with Sweden's tier 2 league? I'd think most prospects would typically becoming from the elite league first... looking at the few names Nylander spent time in Swe-1 (2nd tier league) but then moved up to Modo in the Elite league for half a season in his draft year, and half a season in D+1 before moving to the AHL. Forsberg was all Swe-1, but he didn't immediately make the jump to the NHL.

Either way though it's not all or nothing. Starting in the AHL and being a mid season NHL injury call up is another phase in prospect development that you usually need with kids who aren't in the Boeser/Pettersson class.

Sure. My only point is that we should expect /hope the time in the ahl to be relatively brief. Hence my comment that I hope to see him back up at some point this season.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I dont think one bad game will bump him from center and it is bound to come.

So in your opinion his wingers are set for opening night?
If so, who are they?

If not - then I think that's what's left to be determined in one of these last two games.. whether - A-which wingers rise to the role.. . B- if some more consistent chemistry develops with a prospective winger.

I agree that his roster spot is virtually locked in... but he still needs to play to help figure out lines..

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Goldobin is being given every opportunity to succeed here. If he doesn't do anything on the top line tonight he should be cut immediately after the game.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009

I was a huge honey badger fan too, but c'mon man :laugh:

I think Goldobin is sticking around by default since we have a limited number of players that have any sort of finish. Any other team and his defensive flaws would keep him out of the lineup, but our offense is too terrible.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Goldobin should be given as long and as hard a look as the organization can afford to give him, for the simple fact that outside of Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson (and if we're being charitable, Baertschi) the offensive cupboard is empty, and we actually need warm bodies who can contribute on a power play or know where the opposition net is. That he appears to be doing little to nothing in the way of actually seizing this opportunity is unfortunate (and ever so predictably Goldobinesque of him), but there's naught to do but keep poking at him looking for signs of life. If Dahlen or Palmu or Lind or one of the other offensively gifted hopefuls had surged earlier in the preseason things might look different, but right now Goldobin looks like the last rung on the ladder for the Canucks to cling to.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I was a huge honey badger fan too, but c'mon man :laugh:

I think Goldobin is sticking around by default since we have a limited number of players that have any sort of finish. Any other team and his defensive flaws would keep him out of the lineup, but our offense is too terrible.

One of the only homegrown Canucks of the last 20 years who was a staple of our penalty kill, the primary toolbox player and played ten of his eleven seasons through Nonis, Gillis and Benning? Who else is more identifiable as a Canuck of this generation?

Sedins, Edler, Burrows and then?

Not to mention Hansen would be better than Goldobin now in the role Goldobin is being gifted but Benning Gonna Benning.

I wasn't against trading Hansen. I'm just saying, the guy should be respected for being one of the best Canucks of his era. I also think the Hansen trade was yet another failure in a mountain of failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: PM

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Eriksson on the roster and along for the ride says he is ready to come back real soon. That spells trouble for one guy who would have been able to hold on at the final cut. I get the feeling that guy will be Motte.

This lineup looks like the last go for some of the bubble guys, Archi, Motte, and Gaudette. Gaunce's bubble may have popped or will when/if Roussel is game ready.

Who are the D-men? Sautner, Juolevi, McEneny are on a similar bubble, though I believe McEneny is only still there because they can't send him down until he is game ready, physically. Hamilton in the same boat. Those 2 are Utica bound when their time comes.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Jon Rosen‏Verified account @lakingsinsider
FollowFollow @lakingsinsider
More
#LAKings showing

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kovalchuk-Carter-Kempe
Pearson-Amadio-Toffoli
Clifford-Thompson-Lewis

Brickley-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Phaneuf-Fantenberg

-Quick off first
-Carter/Kempe may be interchangeable
-Clague, LaDue, JAD, Etem, Forbort, etc appeared to be extras

Kings will be stacked full of vets...

Here's hoping our bottom 6 Dmen all play... See who sinks fast, and who sinks slow...

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Probably his waiver situation. Have to see what he’s got before you cut bait. He’d be a waiver wire claim because of his age and offensive skill set. Some team will roll the dice on him.

Have to see what you’ve got in him over what you already know in gagner. Gagner won’t be part of the solution going forward. Goldy might be but you need to know soon.

Dahlen played in a lower division in Sweden than EP. ideally was supposed to be in the ahl last year but contracted mono. Likely that’s his destination. See how he adjusts to the smaller rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad