Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #5: Canucks 1 vs. Kings 4

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
One of the only homegrown Canucks of the last 20 years who was a staple of our penalty kill, the primary toolbox player and played ten of his eleven seasons through Nonis, Gillis and this ******** here? Who else is more identifiable as a Canuck of this generation?

Sedins, Edler, Burrows and then?

Not to mention Hansen would be better than Goldobin now in the role Goldobin is being gifted but Benning Gonna Benning.

I wasn't against trading Hansen. I'm just saying, the guy should be respected for being one of the best Canucks of his era. I also think the Hansen trade was yet another failure in a mountain of failure.

I could probably add a few more names to the "generational best" list, but we'd be splitting hairs. At the end of day, Hansen had less than a year of NHL games left in his tank when he was traded. Goldobin may very well end up in the same boat, but I'm not ready to write off Goldobin just yet. I'm willing to see how the first half of the season goes, and his role in tonight's game will be interesting to watch.

All that said, I am expecting to be disappointed.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Eriksson on the roster and along for the ride says he is ready to come back real soon. That spells trouble for one guy who would have been able to hold on at the final cut. I get the feeling that guy will be Motte.

This lineup looks like the last go for some of the bubble guys, Archi, Motte, and Gaudette. Gaunce's bubble may have popped or will when/if Roussel is game ready.

Who are the D-men? Sautner, Juolevi, McEneny are on a similar bubble, though I believe McEneny is only still there because they can't send him down until he is game ready, physically. Hamilton in the same boat. Those 2 are Utica bound when their time comes.

If this team isn't going to pull the trigger on Gagner or Granlund then Motte, Archibald, Gaunce, and Goldobin are all going to be cut. I think Roussel will be ready for the opener.

Leipsic will be the only one they keep at forward as he is a member of Green's Cawks Club.

Edit: unless they decide to go 7 defensemen.

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I could probably add a few more names to the "generational best" list, but we'd be splitting hairs. At the end of day, Hansen had less than a year of NHL games left in his tank when he was traded. Goldobin may very well end up in the same boat, but I'm not ready to write off Goldobin just yet. I'm willing to see how the first half of the season goes, and his role in tonight's game will be interesting to watch.

I think we may be splitting hairs here as you said and I think we're pretty much in the same place here. Don't mistake my passion for Hansen's place in Canucks history as an attack on your point of view, I just want to state the case for why I think he's one of the best Canucks of our time. But yeah, it was time for him to move and 70 cents on the dollar swung and missed yet again.

Reactions: elwin316

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Dahlén seems very disappointed about going down to ahl when talking to swe media.

I'm not counting on this kid playing in Utica until I see him front and center and on the opening night roster. Call me a pessimist, but I don't trust this kid. Seems to already have his NHL opinion of himself and the minors isn't on his agenda. He has the out and wasn't afraid to exercise it once why not a second time?

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm not counting on this kid playing in Utica until I see him front and center and on the opening night roster. Call me a pessimist, but I don't trust this kid. Seems to already have his NHL opinion of himself and the minors isn't on his agenda. He has the out and wasn't afraid to exercise it once why not a second time?

Well the bottom line is that it's in the best interests of his hockey career to stay here and play it out in the A.

Financial incentive is there for his second contract if wishes to see 7 digits anytime soon.
Needs to perform vs his peers to earn the living he's been training his life to earn. Last yr he was what.. 19... opportunity back home.. Now the NHL is a realistic landing spot..

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
The man that took the mantle over from Ruutu and Cooke who were 2 of the greatest of their generation...
In what universe are Ruutu and Cooke considered "the greatest of their generation"...and "greatest" at what????

Try thinking before pressing send.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Dirty virt in the doghouse already playing on the AHL line in late preseason.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Not saying that Hansen was a high end player but I am pretty sure the speculation at the time was that it was quite reasonable to expect a late 1st round pick from a contender in return for Hansen. Of course Benning went for a prospect "further in development" instead of going for the pick. If i remember correctly Smithers had an article where he defended it by saying that Goldobin would fit better because he would be ready when the Canucks are suggesting somewhat miscalculation of how far the Canucks are into the rebuild. But then again he also suggest that the "heavy lifting" was done after the 2016 draft.

Reactions: PM

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I don't mean in terms of skill. But what other homegrown players have the Canucks made or that spent any sort of time with this team over the last generation? Hansen was a ninth round pick who went through the entire system and spent ten years here as a heart and soul player.

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
Not saying that Hansen was a high end player but I am pretty sure the speculation at the time was that it was quite reasonable to expect a late 1st round pick from a contender in return for Hansen. Of course Benning went for a prospect "further in development" instead of going for the pick. If i remember correctly Smithers had an article where he defended it by saying that Goldobin would fit better because he would be ready when the Canucks are suggesting somewhat miscalculation of how far the Canucks are into the rebuild. But then again he also suggest that the "heavy lifting" was done after the 2016 draft.

Don't forget the sweet conditional pick though! If only San Jose had won the cup...dare to dream.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Only on here would you expect a 1st for Hansen. That's homerism at its finest.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
It's a good lineup the Canucks are up against today. Sink or swim time for the bubble players. See what they can do against a strong, mostly NHL dressed team in the Kings.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Only on here would you expect a 1st for Hansen. That's homerism at its finest.

Thats not homerism, it was speculation from media (not from Canucks fans) that went on before the 2017 deadline. The suggested asking price was a late first or a couple of seconds until it became more and more clear the Benning was aiming for prospect instead of picks.

Reactions: PM

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well the bottom line is that it's in the best interests of his hockey career to stay here and play it out in the A.

Financial incentive is there for his second contract if wishes to see 7 digits anytime soon.
Needs to perform vs his peers to earn the living he's been training his life to earn. Last yr he was what.. 19... opportunity back home.. Now the NHL is a realistic landing spot..

And then?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

You have the weirdest way of reading things into people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad