Pre-Game Talk: Pre-Season - Canucks Power Ranking - Western Conference

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The one glimmer of hope is that 'parity' has definitely arrived in the NHL....two seasons ago, both LA and San Jose missed the post-season, and nobody saw that coming.....and looking at Minny's roster, they don't look that overwhelming to me...and Anaheim is getting older and a couple of their younger RFA's are still unsigned....you just never know....injuries are so much a part of where teams finish now.

Hope is not a strategy.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I can't think of a more unbiased source of opinion on the Canucks than the Canucks own beat writer :sarcasm:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I can't think of a more unbiased source of opinion on the Canucks than the Canucks own beat writer :sarcasm:

Yep....the counterpoint is Gary Lawless in Winterpeg, who's predicting a 14th place finish in the conference....he goes a step further by opining that another meltdown on the ice will create a massive shakeup in the Canucks executive booth and behind the bench...there's not much doubt that jobs are on the line this season.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada

The writers name is probably a alibis and it's actually management writing it. I can picture Weisbrod, Benning and Linden sitting around a laptop writing a article for the Canucks site. Sounds like a Benning on Empty almost(That's your queue Jyrki ;) )

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Canucks aren't quite bad enough to finish last. Unfortunately for those who wanna commit to a rebuild.
But to make the playoffs, Sedins/Tanev/Edler must remain healthy, Horvat and/or Baertschi MUST take a big step forward, offensively, Miller/Markstrom must improve on last year, and Willie has to do a better job coaching than last year.
One or two of those MIGHT happen...but extremely unlikely that all of them happen.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
If the Sedins +Eriksson stay healthy I think they can stay out of the basement but will still miss a playoff spot. If they go any length of time without 1 or more Sedins or Tanev they will be bottom 5 in the league again.

Canucks still do not have anything remotely ready to push the Sedins off the 1st line. When your 1st line is 35/35/31 you have serious, systemic franchise problems. The lack of talented forwards was just made worse by trading McCann for a defenseman, then picking another dman 5th overall in the draft. Even if Olli Juolevi turns out to be a complete stud D he still can't replace the 35 year old 1st line.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
If the Sedins +Eriksson stay healthy I think they can stay out of the basement but will still miss a playoff spot. If they go any length of time without 1 or more Sedins or Tanev they will be bottom 5 in the league again.

Canucks still do not have anything remotely ready to push the Sedins off the 1st line. When your 1st line is 35/35/31 you have serious, systemic franchise problems. The lack of talented forwards was just made worse by trading McCann for a defenseman, then picking another dman 5th overall in the draft. Even if Olli Juolevi turns out to be a complete stud D he still can't replace the 35 year old 1st line.

Boesser and potentially Nolan Patrick would fix that.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Canucks aren't quite bad enough to finish last. Unfortunately for those who wanna commit to a rebuild.
But to make the playoffs, Sedins/Tanev/Edler must remain healthy, Horvat and/or Baertschi MUST take a big step forward, offensively, Miller/Markstrom must improve on last year, and Willie has to do a better job coaching than last year.
One or two of those MIGHT happen...but extremely unlikely that all of them happen.

I have to disagree here, simply because there's no Buffalo/Toronto/Edmonton teams that look like a clear cut last place team this year. Maybe it's a reflection that there's no McDavid or Matthews up for grab, but there's a good bit of parity among the bottom 5-10 teams, in which the Canucks are included.

Who actually finishes last will likely come down to a combination of injury lack and coaching mishaps, but the field is wide open right now.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Statistically the Canucks have the oldest first line in the NHL, with an average age 3 years older than the next oldest first line.

When you look at our 2nd line that features Sutter, Gaunce, Hansen, I don't see anyone who will push for top line duties....ever.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
Statistically the Canucks have the oldest first line in the NHL, with an average age 3 years older than the next oldest first line.

When you look at our 2nd line that features Sutter, Gaunce, Hansen, I don't see anyone who will push for top line duties....ever.

I might be wrong, and usually am, but...

I believe the Canucks are hoping for more balance, AKA not having anyone push for the top line atm, but have 3 balanced lines. I am also thinking that Rodin when available will replace Burrows Dorsett...

Anyways I am so frustrated with Willie D... I wish he was fired in the off season.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
So the Kings might be in deep **** pretty quick. Quick could be gone for awhile due to injury and if they don't patch that spot with a competent goalie they could be chasing a top 3 in the division or wild card spot.

This is where I expect a team like Calgary to jump up the standings if LA flounders without Quick. Heck I could be wrong about Carlyle and his return to the Ducks and they'll stay up there.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So the Kings might be in deep **** pretty quick. Quick could be gone for awhile due to injury and if they don't patch that spot with a competent goalie they could be chasing a top 3 in the division or wild card spot.

This is where I expect a team like Calgary to jump up the standings if LA flounders without Quick. Heck I could be wrong about Carlyle and his return to the Ducks and they'll stay up there.

Zatkoff was a passable back up for the Pens. 2 to 3 months passable might be a different story though.

Gyv4P2H.png

No Martin Jones, no Milan Lucic, no Colin Miller, no #13 2015 draft pick....

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad