Pre-Game Talk: Pre-Season - Canucks Power Ranking - Western Conference

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I can't remember how I voted in the poll (or indeed if I voted at all -- forgive me, I'm getting old). I think the Canucks will finish at ninth. I'm expecting more scoring (Ericsson) and an improved power play; Stecher and Larsen won't be world beaters, but I think they'll be better than the options last year. Despite the confident arguments of the analytics crowd, I'm optimistic that Gudbranson can form a good partnership with Hutton, and I think it's likely that one of the handful of young forwards takes a big step forward.

I'm thinking Willie will also be better. If he plays Miller a bit less and Markstrom a bit more, both will provide improved goaltending.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
Yah i originally voted 13th but i think we will be closer to, or at, 10th. 9th would just straight up suck. Colorado/Calgary/Edmonton/Arizona/Minny & us are all pretty tough to predict, so many variables. We certainly have the most veteran and experienced team though, with a good influx of youth.

Really comes down to major LT injuries (like last year) and whether we have a reliable 2nd line or not. We also blew a disgusting amount of 3rd period leads last season then subsequently lost in OT almost every time.

It took nearly a perfect ****-storm for us to finish that low last season. I don't see us being that bad of a team to finish that low assuming things normalize to their averages this season for us.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just about every NHL prognosticator and betting site has the Canucks as a historically bad 65 point team...Wow!....hopefully they can use that as motivation....but of course it's doubtful the current coach or management regime could survive a 65-point season.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
My opinion hasn't changed all that much from before the preseason.

Offensively, I think Eriksson with the Sedins will be a lot better than Hansen. That line (if healthy) will save our bacon and bail us out of quite a few games we should lose this season. After that line, it's kind of a mess.

IF we stay healthy, IF the young guys all make positive steps forward, IF our special teams improve, IF our goalies stand on their heads, IF Stecher, Granlund, Rodin all show they're not only NHL players but good ones, IF Gudbranson and Hutton form a reliable pairing...

then I still think we'll finish just outside the playoffs. I think we'll be better than last season, but not good enough to make any serious noise in the division. We'll be close enough to the action for Lindenningbrod to sit on their hands (or make very minor, probably nonsensical deals) at the deadline, but we won't sell off vets or amass draft picks like we should. Again.

The Canucks will take a few baby steps forward. Just enough to keep the current regime's apologists happy, just enough to give us yet another mediocre draft pick, but won't make the playoffs and won't get any obvious future stars to replace Hank and Danny.

Again.

And that's if the team stays somewhat healthy. Major injuries? All bets are off.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Voted 14th but cant really argue with how successful of a pre season it was. A lot a hope with guys like Stretchy and Gaunce and even people liked Granlund. Baertchi and Hutty looking like to grow off last year. Goalies look good. Maybe Sedins can find chemistry with Eriksson. I dunno I cant change my vote now but a lot of good coming out of it PLUS the momentum of steamrolling the last two games against Calgary and Edmonton and who knows. Looking fwd to it thats for sure :)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Burnside from ESPN has the Canucks finishing dead last. I'm not a Nucks fan but I don't see your team being that bad, if things go right I could see them in the hunt for a playoff spot.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
My opinion hasn't changed all that much from before the preseason.

Offensively, I think Eriksson with the Sedins will be a lot better than Hansen. That line (if healthy) will save our bacon and bail us out of quite a few games we should lose this season. After that line, it's kind of a mess.

IF we stay healthy, IF the young guys all make positive steps forward, IF our special teams improve, IF our goalies stand on their heads, IF Stecher, Granlund, Rodin all show they're not only NHL players but good ones, IF Gudbranson and Hutton form a reliable pairing...

then I still think we'll finish just outside the playoffs. I think we'll be better than last season, but not good enough to make any serious noise in the division. We'll be close enough to the action for Lindenningbrod to sit on their hands (or make very minor, probably nonsensical deals) at the deadline, but we won't sell off vets or amass draft picks like we should. Again.

The Canucks will take a few baby steps forward. Just enough to keep the current regime's apologists happy, just enough to give us yet another mediocre draft pick, but won't make the playoffs and won't get any obvious future stars to replace Hank and Danny.

Again.

And that's if the team stays somewhat healthy. Major injuries? All bets are off.

Sad truth. Seems like major injuries are the only hope for a positive outcome. Although i would be realistically happy with a 11/12th place finish with good progression from the key young guys.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Sad truth. Seems like major injuries are the only hope for a positive outcome. Although i would be realistically happy with a 11/12th place finish with good progression from the key young guys.

It is a sad comment that you want injuries so we can pick higher when there is a lottery system in place and no perceived franchise player available. Last year it happened and we lost the lottery anyways. Prefer to enjoy a competitive team and hope to find a gem in the draft later.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
In TSN's 31 bold predictions they predict the Canucks will fail to break 65 points. That's 3 separate sources (USA Today, TSN, and if you consider EA Sports simulation a source) that has the Canucks at 65 or fewer points.

And Vegas has the Canucks finishing in last.

Gotta admit, I'm not sure where all the optimism about this team being in the playoff hunt comes from. This is a very bad hockey team and almost everyone outside of Vancouver recognizes that.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
In TSN's 31 bold predictions they predict the Canucks will fail to break 65 points. That's 3 separate sources (USA Today, TSN, and if you consider EA Sports simulation a source) that has the Canucks at 65 or fewer points.

And Vegas has the Canucks finishing in last.

Gotta admit, I'm not sure where all the optimism about this team being in the playoff hunt comes from. This is a very bad hockey team and almost everyone outside of Vancouver recognizes that.

We're the hits generator of this off-season...
Take a couple big markets - under sell them... take a couple big markets and over sell them... boom .. hits.

Can't fathom how they think we're structured worse than last yr....
we were a 500 (82 pt) team in mid Feb when Edler and Sutter went out for the season... and then dropped 9 straight after Sbisa and Vrbata exited the lineup for the season.

But.. hey... predict an insanely ridiculous outcome for a large market one way or the other = linK link link click click click.. It is what it is... new age media marketing.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I'm pretty sure we will do better then Toronto. Will we make the playoffs? Not sure, anything is possible once games start to play. It all depends on how the team gels.

I'm certainly not hoping for them to fail.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Take a couple big markets - under sell them... take a couple big markets and over sell them... boom .. hits.

we were a 500 (82 pt) team in mid Feb when Edler and Sutter went out for the season... and then dropped 9 straight after Sbisa and Vrbata exited the lineup for the season.

But.. hey... predict an insanely ridiculous outcome for a large market one way or the other = linK link link click click click.. It is what it is... new age media marketing.

hmmm okay, but I don't think that's what is motivating the Vegas bookies that picked the Canucks to finish at the bottom of the league. I credit their odds way more than any hockey analyst.

Benning tankies should be happy, the expectations are so low that literally anything short of a ten game losing streak to start the season is going to look like a success.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

As another poster mentioned, I guess Las Vegas bookies value website hits and controversy over making money? :shakehead

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I really hope they are wrong. I'm not gleefully hoping they are right.

Sometimes you have to choose... Would you rather be right, or would you rather be happy? There's a time and place to choose one over the other, when you can't have both at the same time...

I think in this case, I'd rather be right. I'd have to manipulate reality in such a way to be happy as a Canuck fan right now, to be gleefully hopeful as a Canuck fan right now, that I would be living in a realm of self delusion... I'd be doing things like floating on a leaf. In this regard, I'm gleefully glad that others are seeing things the way that I do... and not just anyone seeing things as I do. Vegas, EA Sports code, credible hockey analysts, and posters that I respect here for Canuck related thoughts and opinions. Some inter-related analysis... some independent analysis... Different ways and approaches to get to the same point... Lots of same conclusions. Vegas for one doesn't screw around. I think I'm on the right track with my prediction. If I'm wrong, lots of time to re-evaluate things later.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Well, the first TSN NHL power-rankings are out....The Washington Capitals top the list....and the team 30th and dead-last?....why it's our beloved Canucks....now that's the ultimate in dis-respect!....a good trivia question....in the history of the TSN Power Rankings has any version of a Canuck team ever been ranked 30th?.....guess it's time start the 'Nolan Patrick' watch.:cry:

MeatAndPotatoes

Jul 7, 2016

Yeah, I can't understand why anyone thinks we'll be so much worse than last year. We're both better on paper and unlikely to be the second most injured team (accounting for both quantity and quality) again.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Sometimes you have to choose... Would you rather be right, or would you rather be happy? There's a time and place to choose one over the other, when you can't have both at the same time...

I think in this case, I'd rather be right. I'd have to manipulate reality in such a way to be happy as a Canuck fan right now, to be gleefully hopeful as a Canuck fan right now, that I would be living in a realm of self delusion... I'd be doing things like floating on a leaf. In this regard, I'm gleefully glad that others are seeing things the way that I do... and not just anyone seeing things as I do. Vegas, EA Sports code, credible hockey analysts, and posters that I respect here for Canuck related thoughts and opinions. Some inter-related analysis... some independent analysis... Different ways and approaches to get to the same point... Lots of same conclusions. Vegas for one doesn't screw around. I think I'm on the right track with my prediction. If I'm wrong, lots of time to re-evaluate things later.

In my case, I can be happy and right at the same time, and for the same reasons you state.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad