GDT: Pre-Season #7: Mon, Sept. 30, 2019, FLYERS at Lausanne Hockey Club, 2:00 pm ET

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Another note since this question was asked during the radio broadcast of the most recent game. This game is to be played with international rink configurations but the game in Prague -- regular season -- will be by NHL standards.
It isn't that difficult I guess, just put the boards closer together.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Niskanen and Myers sitting out this game is so odd.

My guess is that Myers it the odd man out for the opener, and they are sitting Niskanen so they can pair up Morin and Hagg to get one last evaluation of them to decide which one starts the season as Niskanen's partner. I hope i'm wrong though.

I'm just seriously confused about what made them abandon Provorov - Niskanen and go back to Provorov - Sanheim.

Last edited:

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Niskanen and Myers sitting out this game is so odd.

My guess is that Myers it the odd man odd for the opener, and they are sitting Niskanen so they can pair up Morin and Hagg to get one last evaluation of them to decide which one starts the season as Niskanen's partner. I hope i'm wrong though.

I'm just seriously confused about what made them abandon Provorov - Niskanen and go back to Provorov - Sanheim.

Meltzer:

“Ghost-Braun are the second pair. Whatever pair Provorov is on is the designated 1st pair. It's odd that they discontinued Provorov-Niskanen after just 3 practices and one game. But they weren't wild about Sanheim's preseason with other partners and none among Hägg, Myers or Morin played consistently well enough in camp to grab the 6 spot definitively. So they defaulted it, at least for right now, to the one who started all 82 games last year and 70 the year before. It's going to be an ongoing thing until someone runs with the job.”

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Meltzer:

“Ghost-Braun are the second pair. Whatever pair Provorov is on is the designated 1st pair. It's odd that they discontinued Provorov-Niskanen after just 3 practices and one game. But they weren't wild about Sanheim's preseason with other partners and none among Hägg, Myers or Morin played consistently well enough in camp to grab the 6 spot definitively. So they defaulted it, at least for right now, to the one who started all 82 games last year and 70 the year before. It's going to be an ongoing thing until someone runs with the job.”

tenor.gif

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland

Whether any of us like this, in the eyes of the coaching staff there is competition for the 6th and 7th spot.

They also hate the idea of having 8 D-man for 3-5 games to sort this out.

The upcoming games will decide who is where, then either they come to their senses or we scream bloody murder.

The Scream.jpg

or they are testing us.......

stupid.jpg

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Lausanne lost 7-1 yesterday. :eek:
So they defaulted it, at least for right now, to the one who started all 82 games last year and 70 the year before. It's going to be an ongoing thing until someone runs with the job.
Can't argue with that logic.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Why can't these idiots figure this out?

Provorov-Ghost is a no-brainer, then Sanheim-Niskanen is also a no-brainer.

Who do dinosaurs have to make things so difficult?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why can't these idiots figure this out?

Provorov-Ghost is a no-brainer, then Sanheim-Niskanen is also a no-brainer.

Who do dinosaurs have to make things so difficult?

I'm pretty happy with Ghost - Braun right now. Ghost looks like his 17-18 self so far. Keep him on the Left with a stay-at-home guy like Braun and let him rock out with his cock out. Can always change that up later if need be.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost needs a stay at home, responsible defenseman as a partner, especially someone like Braun who does the dirty work of going into corners and taking hits to retain puck possession. You play at both ends of the ice.

Provorov - Sanheim to me is temporary unless they burn it up, and probably due to Myers being so erratic, AV is probably nervous about partnering Myers with someone as inexperienced as Sanheim right now and giving them major minutes - so if you put Sanheim with Myers he gets 3rd pair minutes.

I see this as fluid, as Myers gets more experience and hard coaching he should become less mistake prone, and a Myers - Sanheim pairing can eventually get hard minutes down the road.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'm pretty happy with Ghost - Braun right now. Ghost looks like his 17-18 self so far. Keep him on the Left with a stay-at-home guy like Braun and let him rock out with his cock out. Can always change that up later if need be.

Ghost does look good but he looked good last preseason as well. Not having a shity partner will go a long way. Having a good partner is going to maximize his efforts. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see ghost get 50+ this year, hopefully back to mid 60s.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Ghost does look good but he looked good last preseason as well. Not having a ****y partner will go a long way. Having a good partner is going to maximize his efforts. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see ghost get 50+ this year, hopefully back to mid 60s.
Didn't he get hurt in November or something? I think that's why he had such a poor season and they had to reduce his minutes.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Because Ghost is a monster and has been carrying players his whole career. The only time he got any help was with Provorov, and we saw what a massive success that was.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
GHost Braun pairing has been fantastic, leave them together.
And Provy Sanheim is also a great pair

Why are we whining over this ?

Am I the only one that worries about Provorov-Sanheim being back together? They weren't very good at times last season in the defensive zone. Then again, new coaching, further maturity and progression. I suppose they could get the job done. Both have the skill of course.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
So you are fine limiting Sanheim's effectiveness? Because he isn't as good as Ghost at playing his off side. Is it whining to want to maximize our players' effectiveness?

Then put Nisky with Provy , like I’ve always wanted.

My post is more to if Ghost isn’t on the top pair everything sucks.

Ghost Braun is a pairing that makes sense , and if Provy and Sanheim are the two D men playing the most even strength mins , that isn’t horrible. I think they are our two best all around d men.

And I predict Ghost having a monster year on second pair without big defensive assignments

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Am I the only one that worries about Provorov-Sanheim being back together? They weren't very good at times last season in the defensive zone. Then again, new coaching, further maturity and progression. I suppose they could get the job done. Both have the skill of course.

I expect a bounce back from Provy and a huge leap from Sanheim, no need to panic yet. And nothing appears set in stone on the D.

Get Hogg out and I’m happy

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I’m not here to say that using Ghost on the left, Sanheim on the right, and Niskanen on the left is not weird given their slobbering over handedness and having 3 lefties and righties.......BUT......

Just put the right six in the lineup, and that’s the most important part. Will they do that? Hell if I know. They can’t make it easy to figure out with Morin-Hagg playing tomorrow (woof!).

But if they did roll these 3 pairs, we might see some really even minutes — without Ghost or Sanheim getting shafted — which would be another win. I’ll hold on the celebrating though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad