GDT: Pre-Season #2: Tue., Sept. 17, 2019, FLYERS at Islanders, 7:00 pm ET

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
NAK Impressed me the most actually.

The LOS though were Haag, Stewart, Gabriel, Andreonoff, Berube, Sushko, these players show nothing

NAK kept his feet moving, engaged physically, and was on the puck often. I was pleased.

Oh you mean like he did whenever he was in the lineup? Hakstol was absolute idiot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Typical preseason game.

We had a lot of scrubs out there.

Stewart was meh, I think you can stick a fork in him. Same with Gabriel.

NAK was ok, but nothing special, typical for him, just enough you don't write him off, but not enough to give him a roster spot.

Vorobyev was similar, he's not as fired up as last year's camp, and his natural talent is ok, but waiting for him to flash.

Rubtsov I thought was the best player on the Flyers, he's physically filled out, the same defensive guy but more aggressive on offense.

Sanheim was a step faster than any other D-man on either team, no, Dobson isn't in the same league with him.

People like to trash Hagg, but you want bad, go watch Brennan.

Twarynski was better than NAK, he's got the 4th line mentalite, but he shoots too much with too little impact.

Kase flashed some talent, but I think he's like TK, he needs a good line to play on. He's not a guy to create on his own.

Hart is a NHL goalie, Berube is not, nuff said.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
In the end, though I appreciated the much more spirited effort hounding the puck, really the only player who probably upped his chances was Rubtsov.

Twarynski, Bunnaman, and Kase dug hard, though, and it won't hurt their standing in the org. All are potential brief 4th line call ups.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In the end, though I appreciated the much more spirited effort hounding the puck, really the only player who probably upped his chances was Rubtsov.

Twarynski, Bunnaman, and Kase dug hard, though, and it won't hurt their standing in the org. All are potential brief 4th line call ups.

Forgot Bunny, he has a solid game.

In fact, Vorobyev is starting to fall behind, he hasn't played badly, but with a couple AHL seasons under his belt he's supposed to be ahead of Twarynski, Bunnaman and Rubtsov.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I still think it’s BS they put Sanheim in this scrub game. Their best defenseman from last season. Yes, they needed bodies. But there’s a reason Provorov-Niskanen didn’t make their debut here. It was beneath them.
AV made a comment about not watching last year and not looking to see what happened so that everyone had a fresh start this year... which was looked at a positive sign for how he was going to view Ghost but I guess that’s a double edged sword that also means he’s treating Sanheim like a rookie who hasn’t proven anything.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
As awful as last season was, and it was the worst season I have ever witnessed, few things annoyed me more than the fact that NAK never got a shot to play, despite the fact that he showed he was NHL calibre and clearly too good for the AHL three seasons ago.

One of the best ES scorers in the AHL, he has all the snot and balls Hakstol could have ever asked for, and he looked perfectly fine in all his 5 mins of play that he got each game.

No, I don't think he tops out as anything more than a 3RW but there's also no reason he can't have a 400-game NHL career, probably 50-100 of which he's already lost because generally players of his ilk are going to lose effectiveness pretty early -- once they drop from peak athleticism and/or get ground down by their physical style, it's all over.

Really glad we got to see so much Varone/Knight/Weise last season.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I really hope this game puts another nail into Hagg. He needs to go. There are plenty of teams that could use someone like him in a #6 or #7 role.

He's willing to block a shot though. Who cares if any other defender would have prevented the shot attempt from even taking place?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Actually all the players who play regular shifts for the flyers last night underwhelmed. The rest played hard and competed and Stewart will be cut also.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Blocking shot is really importatnt ans the winning teams show. f***in Islanders under Trotz block em or you don't play.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The funny thing is, MacDonald is a better player than Hagg and he couldn't even get a contract. So Hagg could very easily become yet another Hakstol/Hextall mistake where he was used as if he was a core player and then when finally removed he's quickly done in this league.

Just like Vandevelde
Just like Manning
Just like Knight
Just like Weise (soon)
and so on...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If NAK wants a freakin' job, let him win it.
He didn't show me last night that he was anything to lose sleep over, one way or another.

For guys like NAK, preseason is life or death, he needs to play like that.
Because there are going to be guys behind you now ready to leap frog you if you don't step up.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
He didn't show me last night that he was anything to lose sleep over, one way or another.

Because there are going to be guys behind you now ready to leap frog you if you don't step up.
Carsen T outplayed him easy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Carson needs another AHL season to refine his skill set, but he's got the 4th line mentalite, he knows where his path to the NHL lies.

Reactions: hatcher

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Typical preseason game.

We had a lot of scrubs out there.

Stewart was meh, I think you can stick a fork in him. Same with Gabriel.

NAK was ok, but nothing special, typical for him, just enough you don't write him off, but not enough to give him a roster spot.

Vorobyev was similar, he's not as fired up as last year's camp, and his natural talent is ok, but waiting for him to flash.

Rubtsov I thought was the best player on the Flyers, he's physically filled out, the same defensive guy but more aggressive on offense.

Sanheim was a step faster than any other D-man on either team, no, Dobson isn't in the same league with him.

People like to trash Hagg, but you want bad, go watch Brennan.

Twarynski was better than NAK, he's got the 4th line mentalite, but he shoots too much with too little impact.

Kase flashed some talent, but I think he's like TK, he needs a good line to play on. He's not a guy to create on his own.

Hart is a NHL goalie, Berube is not, nuff said.

I couldn't have said it better, so I won't even try. I don't know why so many people have a love affair with NAK, I just don't see him making the NHL team.
Hart kept them in the game while he was playing, as soon as he came out Berube looked mediocre.
That's how I've seen the first two performances by this team.....mediocre.
I'm not expecting miracles from the coaching staff, but I want them to be more aggressive on the offensive side.

Reactions: hatcher

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't worry about how the team looks until next week's exhibition games.
The first four games are really for AV and Fletcher to see how the kids look against quasi-NHL competition, then make roster decisions.
After they trim the roster, then they start preparing for the season as the lines and D-pairs practice and play together.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's a family thing, mom wrote her dissertation on the regime of Napoleon the Third.

Used to drag my dad (kicking and screaming, of course) to Paris in the 1950s and 1960s so she could do research at the Sorbonne. Poor guy had to hang out at cafes and drink wine - though it was a better way to visit than his first tour, courtesy of Uncle Sam in 1944.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
This up tempo camp must be working wonders for the Flyers. They are already in mid-season form!

Up 2-1, under 90 seconds to play, GOAL!!!!!!! game tied 2-2. In OT, surrender the winner, just like it was planned, clock work.

Gabriel is bad, and whenever noticed it was seldom for something positive.

RAFFL COPTER!

Vorobyev looks like he should be a player, but always seems to be lacking, it.

Hart looked pretty not bad.

The pre-season Islanders crew wasn't the worst, way way, infinitely, better than Denis Potvin.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

When did Knight and Varone win jobs?

Vorobyev won a job last camp and he got shitcanned after 3 bad games.

Your existence as a hockey fan must be so miserable when you hate Travis Konecny and would rather have VandeVeldes than kids.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I couldn't have said it better, so I won't even try. I don't know why so many people have a love affair with NAK, I just don't see him making the NHL team.
Hart kept them in the game while he was playing, as soon as he came out Berube looked mediocre.
That's how I've seen the first two performances by this team.....mediocre.
I'm not expecting miracles from the coaching staff, but I want them to be more aggressive on the offensive side.

You did see the roster that played last night, right?

Also, I don't think Hart kept them in the game at all. He could have had that 14 save shutout in his sleep. The Flyers outplayed them the first 2 periods pretty thoroughly.

Reactions: Curufinwe

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
OK

Giroux, Couterier, TK, Frost, Prov, and Nisk have not played yet.

The only thing I have "learned" so far, is that Laughton is not a center. Rubstov, Big T and Bunny are potential 4th liners. NAK should have been on the Flyers last year full time. This year I am not so sure, I will wait on that one. The defensemen I have not watched as closely except that Bigras is pretty consistent countered by Hagg's major inconsistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad