Post-Game Talk: Pre-Post season Oilers 4, Flames 1

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Class act to honour Cave pregame. Oilers will be dialed in this playoff. They look like a team that means some bizniss.

Meanwhile Leaf fans are planning the parade after playing the worst team in the playoffs and barely beating them.

Very classy. I was a big Cave fan. Such a shame. RIP

I thought the rink and the picture was beautiful. Im gonna enjoy this. 4 PM here Saturday in NS. Gonna be watching outdoors but will probably bring inside. It is too humid here. 37 yesterday

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hoping Larsson feels like he has something to prove now that rookie Bear has surpassed him this year and Broberg and Bouchard knocking on the door with Jones already walking through it.
Not sure we can single Larsson out here. He plays a different game than all names mentioned by you and would be a solid D partner of Broberg whenever he is NHL ready.

"Rookie Bear" was the best Dman for either team last night. Klefbom is pretty much the only Dman who is at same level.

Reactions: KYams17

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I actually thought AA was pretty good. If he plays this way in the playoffs he'll be the kind of guy that can score a valuable goal every now and then without hurting you defensively.

Honestly, I'm not seeing anything from him. Nothing bad really but not a difference maker of any kind in his stint here.

In fairness to him, it's hard to get much done alongside 4th liners but I'm not seeing nearly enough from him to justify the price Holland paid for him. Nygard could do just as good a job and he's a player that costs the bare minimum.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Honestly, I'm not seeing anything from him. Nothing bad really but not a difference maker of any kind in his stint here.

In fairness to him, it's hard to get much done alongside 4th liners but I'm not seeing nearly enough from him to justify the price Holland paid for him. Nygard could do just as good a job and he's a player that costs the bare minimum.
It’ll be a long road for him. For this season if he can settle in that should be the first goal.

Reactions: CupofOil

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Great start. Slow middle. About best you can expect for a "Pre Season" game. Really like how the team played and no injuries.

Should be great to kick off on Saturday.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

FWIW, what I notice with our bench vs Calgary’s bench is the amount of communication.

There was several times when the camera would pan over to our bench and someone was always talking. Most often it was McDavid or Draisaitl. It also seems like Tipp and Gully encourages this quite a bit too. I didn’t really see the same thing on the Flames bench. I think that says a lot about our leadership group.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
FWIW, what I notice with our bench vs Calgary’s bench is the amount of communication.

There was several times when the camera would pan over to our bench and someone was always talking. Most often it was McDavid or Draisaitl. It also seems like Tipp and Gully encourages this quite a bit too. I didn’t really see the same thing on the Flames bench. I think that says a lot about our leadership group.

The Flames bench often looked like they were awaiting execution on death row. Lucic in particular looked like this was the last place he wanted to be.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
It really is what it is. What's worse is if come playoff time if games start going to overtime it could push those late games even later.

Wasn't going to be a perfect schedule given 24 teams are playing in two arenas.

I am actually surprised they didn't go to a short OT/shootout format for the playoffs for this reason.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Udderly ridiculous that she is still on the air. Always puts me in a bad mood when she speaks. Herd enough from her already. On behoof of all Oiler fans, hopefully she will be remooved very soon from the broadcasts. She is definitely pasture best before date. Even someone like Hugh Heifer could have done a better job. The day she is gone will be Legen (Wait for It) Dairy. Maybe she can go to Mosscow and do some KHL games.

Thanks for making me cry in my coffee!

RE: the game. To all Oil fans....this is the first full game I've watched in a while. They looked tight in the first but I sure hope that the type of 2nd they had isn't going to be the norm going forward. That'll be trouble against a good team. I may be reading it wrong, but I thought McDavid looked disappointed at the end of the game. I read it like he was thinking "we gotta be better than this boys". Not sure if McDavid was too happy with the team performance by the look on his face at the end of game.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Udderly ridiculous that she is still on the air. Always puts me in a bad mood when she speaks. Herd enough from her already. On behoof of all Oiler fans, hopefully she will be remooved very soon from the broadcasts. She is definitely pasture best before date. Even someone like Hugh Heifer could have done a better job. The day she is gone will be Legen (Wait for It) Dairy. Maybe she can go to Mosscow and do some KHL games.

10 year ban.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Will be looking forward to the Chicago/St Louis preseason game today.
I don't know what to really think of that matchup. Does STL really care that much? They've been talking about these seeding games as if the players aren't really going to be trying that hard as there isn't a lot for them to win. More they are just going to find a way to stay healthy.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It’ll be a long road for him. For this season if he can settle in that should be the first goal.

No doubt but, fair or not, he's going to be judged based on the steep price Holland paid for him so he should be held to a higher standard going forward.

I don't expect much from him in the playoffs in a bottom 6 role but he needs to be a top 6 player next season in order to justify the price paid for him. In the interim, I'd like to at least see some flashes of impact from him and I just haven't seen it yet.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
No doubt but, fair or not, he's going to be judged based on the steep price Holland paid for him so he should be held to a higher standard going forward.

I don't expect much from him in the playoffs in a bottom 6 role but he needs to be a top 6 player next season in order to justify the price paid for him. In the interim, I'd like to at least see some flashes of impact from him and I just haven't seen it yet.
I wouldn’t really say it was a steep price. Two second rounders isn’t really that steep IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad