Pre-Game Talk: PRE-ECF Thread (B/C Why not?)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And... along with the reaction to the MoneyPuck odds, I was listening to NHLNetwork on Sirius XM on the way into the office today and they had someone on talking about the Conference Finals. I shit you not, they, and all the hosts, went "well, obviously Boston is the clear cut hands down favorite in this series, but you have to keep an eye on St. Louis, they've been one of the best teams in the NHL the last 4 months and they could be trouble for San Jose"

Like, are you f***ing serious? Yes, St. Louis was the best team in the league since December. Then there was Tampa, and then, it was the Canes. and they were only separated by a few points.

I mean its one thing to get the snarky overlooking comments from fans. But from respected members of the hockey media? Come the hell on, its just blatant disrespect at this point.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
**** the NHL and their scheduling on our series

San Jose gets Sat & Sun home games
St. Louis gets a Friday home game
Boston gets Sat & Sun home games
Carolina gets 0 "weekend" home games

They haven’t had a weekend home game the entire playoffs. It’s f***ing bullshit. I live in CT so I’m essentially screwed out of the experience every round. And I’m not going to Boston for a game. f*** THAT

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
They haven’t had a weekend home game the entire playoffs. It’s ****ing bull****. I live in CT so I’m essentially screwed out of the experience every round. And I’m not going to Boston for a game. **** THAT
I've had a lot of afternoon doctors appointments recently that have caused me to have to leave work early. Its crazy

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
And... along with the reaction to the MoneyPuck odds, I was listening to NHLNetwork on Sirius XM on the way into the office today and they had someone on talking about the Conference Finals. I **** you not, they, and all the hosts, went "well, obviously Boston is the clear cut hands down favorite in this series, but you have to keep an eye on St. Louis, they've been one of the best teams in the NHL the last 4 months and they could be trouble for San Jose"

Like, are you ****ing serious? Yes, St. Louis was the best team in the league since December. Then there was Tampa, and then, it was the Canes. and they were only separated by a few points.

I mean its one thing to get the snarky overlooking comments from fans. But from respected members of the hockey media? Come the hell on, its just blatant disrespect at this point.
The secret to respect is to take it. Beat the Bruins and we might get 1 or 2 heads win the cup we'll be the worst winner evar. %$#@ them. Win it anyway just to give them a finger (No not Brett)

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
**** the NHL and their scheduling on our series

San Jose gets Sat & Sun home games
St. Louis gets a Friday home game
Boston gets Sat & Sun home games
Carolina gets 0 "weekend" home games
I don’t know if the NHL tries their best to get all teams weekend games ... but at this point in the playoffs, I wouldn’t be surprised if PNC has stuff scheduled on the weekend anyway.

But the way this has played out, I don’t think there was any chance of getting a weekend home game in this series, unless it was Columbus as the opponent.

Certainly not worth “f*** the NHL” comments.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I don’t know if the NHL tries their best to get all teams weekend games ... but at this point in the playoffs, I wouldn’t be surprised if PNC has stuff scheduled on the weekend anyway.

But the way this has played out, I don’t think there was any chance of getting a weekend home game in this series, unless it was Columbus as the opponent.

Certainly not worth “**** the NHL” comments.

I don’t think it has anything to do with the NHL screwing the Canes. Doesn’t make me any less angry I can’t work a game in. If they make it to the finals though work can kiss the fattest part of my ass and I’ll be spending a couple days in Raleigh.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
The secret to respect is to take it. Beat the Bruins and we might get 1 or 2 heads win the cup we'll be the worst winner evar. %$#@ them. Win it anyway just to give them a finger (No not Brett)

I like being the underdogs, seriously. And the Canes eat that stuff up. They've been talking about being overlooked etc a lot, so the less respect they get the harder they'll play ;). #TakeWarning

ETA: Also, in addition to most people not watching us because, well, we're in Raleigh, have been out of relevance for years, etc....I don't know if people realize that we're healthier and more rested than we've been in...:: checks notes ::....ever lol. I hear people thinking we'll be running out Curtis, etc. I listen to some out of town sports hosts and they don't even know who people like Svech are. I don't think a lot of people can name people on our team other than Williams, one of the Staal brothers (lol), and Aho half the time.

Last edited:

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
The chip alexander thing - I only have one comment:

It's awful rich for them to hang up on a guy because of his accent - considering the whole of the Boston region can't pronounce the letter R and has a speech impediment.

I'm really, really trying to be a good host and fan, but god do I hate this team and their obnoxious fanbase. The 33% win chances and "technicality" , sweep, zero respect stuff is getting old fast.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
True facts: Tim Gleason is on this wall, completely surrounded by pictures of Bruins players. Or at least he was in the early part of the decade. I don't know what the connection is... I should have asked when I had the chance.

If I remember right, my ex's college roommate grew up down the street from the owners, and they watched her play growing up. Obviously, they're big hockey fans, and the fact that they're within walking distance of the arena probably helps put them on the players' radar.

Sadly, at this point, I'm pretty sure she won't be taking me into the back to hang out with them again. So I guess I'll never know how Gleason got on that wall.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The chip alexander thing - I only have one comment:

It's awful rich for them to hang up on a guy because of his accent - considering the whole of the Boston region can't pronounce the letter R and has a speech impediment.

I'm really, really trying to be a good host and fan, but god do I hate this team and their obnoxious fanbase. The 33% win chances and "technicality" , sweep, zero respect stuff is getting old fast.

Sports radio hosts in Boston are the lowest of the low class people on the planet earth. They are an absolute embarrassment to the human race. The sad thing is, everybody knows it. And no one cares unless they do something truly atrocious (which seems to happen every 6 months or so)

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
36589834_10155971228877961_7945896965995233280_n.png

They are all named Sean, they are mean and I hate it here

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I like being the underdogs, seriously. And the Canes eat that stuff up. They've been talking about being overlooked etc a lot, so the less respect they get the harder they'll play ;). #TakeWarning

This is exactly my take and where I'm at....I hate it when I see us favored in anything because I'm so used to being the underdog, over-achieving, and confusing the hell out of the traditional hockey world., As a matter of fact, I prefer it.

No, but I'm willing to learn :confused:

You'll be fine....we're pretty much a "play it by ear" board. If you really want to know what we're all about, read some @MrazeksVengeance and @Lempo posts.....aaaaand you'll be even more confused, which means you'll fit right in. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad