GDT: Pre-8: FLYERS 4 at Bruins 1, Saturday, Sept. 29, 2018, 5:00 p.m. ET

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Friedman and Myers were very noticeable!
Raffl and the Coca Cola Boy had puck possession shifts and Leier's name came up s few times!
Vegas would be a great spot to start the season off with a big win!;)

Reactions: hatcher

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Honestly if Lehtera played like he did tonight every game, I wouldn’t mind him playing 4th line Center. Also thought Leier looked great. I wouldn’t mind trying the Laughton leier Raffl line again.

Reactions: hatcher

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Honestly if Lehtera played like he did tonight every game, I wouldn’t mind him playing 4th line Center. Also thought Leier looked great. I wouldn’t mind trying the Laughton leier Raffl line again.
People rag on him, but Lehtera's always been a fairly good player for what he is. Nothing spectacular but he's smart, has decent hands and uses his size to advantage. He's just a bit slow. He was good in St. Louis but then they paid him way too much. Kind of like AMac. If they were both on Weise's contract we wouldn't mind them so much. Weise needs to be waived. Hopefully someone will take him, or arrange a trade where we can eat some money. Rather see Leier on the team at this point.

Last edited:

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
You were whipping Vorobyev pretty good in the offseason.

Yes I was very pro Rubstov when comparing the 2, and a lot of the time it came across as “whipping”.

Vorobyev IQ has translated better this pre season then I would of expected. His positioning has made up for the areas of concern I had with his game like skating and space to create. I still like Rubstov more then Vorobyev, and think he will have a better career, but their isn’t much to complain about his game this preseason.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
You were whipping Vorobyev pretty good in the offseason.

Hmm, let's just see what searching the term 'Vorobyev' and 'Alex91' gets us...

Vorobyev is no where near being a 3C in the NHL. He is a folk legend on this board, but he has a long way to go offensively before he is NHL ready. The game still looked to fast for him at the AHL level last year, and he looked even worst in the playoffs. I am pretty sure the NHL speed and lack of space would be to much for him at this point.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Myers stepping up on the Simmer goal to start the goal was a very good play. Exactly what we miss with the Farmers and Hoggs.

Exactly. And he made a nice play just before that to clear his own zone, gain center ice line and dump the puck deep, which started the whole sequence leading to Simmer's goal.

I enjoy watching Myers play. The kid is smart, looks good with the puck and isn't afraid to try to make plays.

Evergreen

I was happy Myers got another look tonight. He made some good offensive reads and looked pretty good with Friedman. But man he is terrible when he is pressured in the d-zone. Lacks confidence and gave up the puck on at least five forechecks. You could tell the Bs were dumping it into his side of the zone over and over. Hopefully he can shore this up because I like what he can bring in the offensive zone that is lacking with Hagg.

Vorobyev was great again. Raffl was noticeable too.

Reactions: RebusFlyer

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Nah, lethera has “blow” by speed now

Yeah, Jori really had a lot more spring in his stride today.

tenor.gif

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hmm, let's just see what searching the term 'Vorobyev' and 'Alex91' gets us...
I did this for myself, from July 13th. :)

Am I wrong in thinking about things in this way?

Most are saying Vorobyev seems to need another year in the AHL. Yet 1.5 years ago, he was great at the WJC finishing 4th in scoring and we would like to assume he has gotten better.

Then Frost, where is he in comparison to the Vorobyev scale? Would we expect him to be top 4 in WJC scoring this coming year if he goes AND is better than that right now?

Not sure I am explaining that clearly or not. I guess I just wonder why most seem to be ok with Frost at #3C in the fall, yet not Vorobyev when Vorobyev has actually played at higher levels and performed well in comparison to Frost.

From Dec 2017:

If we are going to treat Frost like we did Konecny, leave him in the OHL. Give the #3C spot to Vorobyev instead....or Laughton for the year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It is somewhat unfortunate but I think Ghost and Provorov for the time being are basically stapled together. I mean they've both done what they needed to do to get where they are though. I'm just surprised that Hakstol admitted that its his only pairing that can actually push the play up ice.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Funny how the bees are confused with the smoke permeating the hive.

Lehtera, what the ... ? Actually, he's a decent all around forward, yes, reliable, except for foot speed, if he's gotten quicker (ok, from really slow to slow) he's a serviceable 4C.

I'm not sold on Leier, but supposedly he bulked up from 175 to 184, it may well be it's taken time for him to get used to playing at a heavier weight, because this is the first game he looked like a NHL player - but if I'm Hextall, I hate this, is it a mirage or the real Leier.

Weal did his usual job, just enough to tease, not enough to please.

Myers is going to go back to LHV and work on his D-zone game, being nice on offense is nice, except he's a defenseman, which means at times he has to play defense. If he masters that, he's going to be starting here for the next decade.

Friedman is on the verge of the NHL, I think Ron will let his veterans play their way off the team and he'll be the first call up.

Elliott looked like his old self, not good but reliable, like the first half of last season. And he lasted the full game!

I think the first half of this season won't be as bad as last year, but there will be some sorting out, a couple veterans will play their way out of town, and a couple kids will be up by the end of January. The problem is it's hard to determine if someone like Gudas is washed up off preseason, maybe he's nicked up, maybe he's gliding, maybe he's finished. Ron will take his time but the leash will be shorter this season.

You can see how good this team can be, but this is not going to be a smooth ride this season, hopefully, the team will jell by March, they'll go into the playoffs this season with real goalies, and cause some trouble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad