GDT: Pre-7: Rangers 4 at FLYERS 2, Thursday, Sept. 27, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I would think Elliot would get more time too. Maybe it’s obvious he’s not ready yet and it comes down to Hart and Stolarz to open the year!

We did say a lot would have to happen for Hart to play for the Flyers. Nuevy and Lyon hurt plus Elliot still recovering is a lot.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/300442122/binary-file/file.pdf

FORWARDS (15)

11 - Travis Konecny RW
12 - Michael Raffl RW
19 - Nolan Patrick C
20 - Taylor Leier LW
21 - Scott Laughton C
22 - Dale Weise RW
25 - James van Riemsdyk LW
28 - Claude Giroux RW
34 - Corban Knight C
39 - Tyrell Goulbourne LW
40 - Jordan Weal C
46 - Mikhail Vorobyev C
54 - Oskar Lindblom RW
81 - Carsen Twarynski LW
93 - Jakub Voracek RW

DEFENSEMEN (7)
3 - Radko Gudas
6 - Travis Sanheim
8 - Robert Hagg
9 - Ivan Provorov
26 - Christian Folin
47 - Andrew MacDonald
53 - Shayne Gostisbehere

GOALTENDERS (2)
41 - Anthony Stolarz
79 - Carter Hart

edit:

Not good news for Weal. Laughton's line looks like the 4th line and Twarynski will go down. Goulbourne is obviously out of the picture...for now.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
You don't want to meet Gritty.

one-does-not-simply-meet-gritty.jpg

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim is skating, hopefully he plays.
Simmonds wasn't skating, hmm, maybe just a day off?

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I would give Hexy and Hak a lot of credit if they kept Twarynski in the starting line up. 4th line winger wise, he is a better winger then Knight (minus PK), Weal, Leier, and Weise.

Raffl-Laughton-Twarynski
Weal
Weise

AHL
Knight
Leier
Lethera

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I’m not going to pretend to have seen him more than 4-5 times, but every time I have seen Twarynski, he has been clearly the worst player on the ice.

Hope he proves me wrong, but I see less than nothing in him.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think Twarynski has shown more good than anything this preseason, but just last year they didn't even think he was good enough to play in the AHL. A year later he's an NHL player? Very doubtful. I can't think of any overager (recently anyway) who made the jump from Junior right to the NHL. He was an overager for a reason. It's a huge jump.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think Twarynski has shown more good than anything this preseason, but just last year they didn't even think he was good enough to play in the AHL. A year later he's an NHL player? Very doubtful. I can't think of any overager (recently anyway) who made the jump from Junior right to the NHL. He was an overager for a reason. It's a huge jump.

I don't think he's NHL ready now, but I don't think it was any kind of knock against Twarynski that the Flyers preferred for him play as a 1st line forward in his 4th CHL season instead of fighting for games and ice time on the Phantoms 4th line. He would have had zero chance for offensive development as a 19/20 year old behind:

Varone
Carey
NAK
Martel
Vecchione
Conner
Knight
Lindblom
Bardreau
Vorobyev
MacDonald
Goulbourne
Fazleev
Read

Reactions: VladDrag

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I think it's starting to look pretty clear that right now the staff sees Weal as the 13th forward. He's certainly got more skill than Knight but I think they may value his chemistry as a PK forward with Laughton, which I'm more than happy to see them commit to for a 4th line. I don't think anybody can honestly complain with the way that the offensive lines appear to be shaping up.

Now, defensively, I'd like to see MacDonald and Sanheim flipped to round out a solid top 4, based on the current personnel. But a pairing of Mac and Folin would be pretty damn rough. Ideally that 3rd pair would be Mac and Myers with Hagg or Folin as the 7th, but we'll see how that all shapes out.

Lastly, if Hart has himself a night, it's going to be tough to justify sending him down with how Elliott has played and Stolie coming off of an injury without playing much last year, and I think he actually stands a chance to make it.

Provided nothing crazy happens with injuries or gameplay, I'd expect the following opening night roster to look exactly like this:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Van Riemsdyk - Patrick - Voracek
Lindblom - Vorobyev - Simmonds
Raffl - Laughton - Knight
Weal

Provorov - Gostisbehere
MacDonald - Gudas
Sanheim - Folin/Hagg
Folin/Hagg

Elliott
Hart/Stolarz

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would like to give Stolie the chance to show he can be the backup. Hart should, hopefully, be the main goalie here for the next decade.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Too bad Simmer is still not available, would be important for he and the Pimp to start developing some chemistry.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
In an ideal yet semi-realistic world Stolarz establishes himself as low end starter/platoon guy this year and becomes the smooth transition into the Hart Dynasty

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think he's NHL ready now, but I don't think it was any kind of knock against Twarynski that the Flyers preferred for him play as a 1st line forward in his 4th CHL season instead of fighting for games and ice time on the Phantoms 4th line. He would have had zero chance for offensive development as a 19/20 year old behind:

Varone
Carey
NAK
Martel
Vecchione
Conner
Knight
Lindblom
Bardreau
Vorobyev
MacDonald
Goulbourne
Fazleev
Read
I didn't have a problem with him playing as an overager (considering he didn't exactly dominate his D+1 year) but you kinda made my point. One year later he's jumped all of those guys? He would have had to have taken an incredible leap forward in his development for that to happen. While I am more optimistic about his potential than I was this time last year, history suggests he's not an NHL player at this time (or at least an effective one).

Like with Friedman, I think this is a case of rewarding a guy for a good camp and possibly overvaluing the typical hockey cliches. Or maybe a motivating tactic towards Myers and NAK.

edit: and they could have waited to send Twarynski back to the WHL. They could have seen how things shook out with LHV. They didn't have to make a decision on him right after training camp. He was in there training camp last year so it's safe to assume they considered playing him in the AHL but didn't think he was ready- which was the correct call imo.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I wouldn't read too much into Friedman and Twarynski.

Twarynski outplayed NAK, so it's more a message to the later. I'd be shocked if Twarynski made the team, even though I like how he looked this preseason.

Friedman already has 2 AHL seasons, and like Alt last year, is more likely to be called up for short-term injuries than Myers, because he can sit in the pressbox for a few games if a starter is "iffy" as insurance. So giving him a long look and some PT is preparation for later in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad