GDT: Pre-7: Rangers 4 at FLYERS 2, Thursday, Sept. 27, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I would like to give Stolie the chance to show he can be the backup. Hart should, hopefully, be the main goalie here for the next decade.

Stolie of two years ago would be a very good NHL backup IMO. Hopefully he can regain that form. That was one ugly injury he dealt with.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I would love to see a 4th line of
Laughton-Weal-Raffl

They need to trade Weal for a mid round pick and be done with it. I still am of the conviction he can be a net positive full-time NHL player, maybe as a 3rd line winger/PP2 player, but his days are numbered here, and he doesn't deserve to sit in the press box full-time again. They've played Weise, Lehtera, VandeVelde, now Knight above him. Role schmole. Just cut ties.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I didn't have a problem with him playing as an overager (considering he didn't exactly dominate his D+1 year) but you kinda made my point. One year later he's jumped all of those guys? He would have had to have taken an incredible leap forward in his development for that to happen. While I am more optimistic about his potential than I was this time last year, history suggests he's not an NHL player at this time (or at least an effective one).

I don't think him being an overager is relevant. As a 3rd round pick who only scored 43 in 64 games points in his 3rd CHL season, I doubt skipping his 4th CHL season to play in the AHL was even a consideration. He's not an Anthony Mantha level prospect.

He only got his ELC in March, five months after they cut him from Phantoms camp.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They need to trade Weal for a mid round pick and be done with it. I still am of the conviction he can be a net positive full-time NHL player, maybe as a 3rd line winger/PP2 player, but his days are numbered here, and he doesn't deserve to sit in the press box full-time again. They've played Weise, Lehtera, VandeVelde, now Knight above him. Role schmole. Just cut ties.

We need Weal as insurance in case of injuries in the top 9, which we already have two of in Couturier and Simmonds. Otherwise you'll get Weise playing up there.

Reactions: macleish1974

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Should I pick you up a new pair of Jorts too while I’m at it?

tenor.gif

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
We need Weal as insurance in case of injuries in the top 9, which we already have two of in Couturier and Simmonds. Otherwise you'll get Weise playing up there.

There's perhaps some comfortability moving Vorobyev into a top 6 center spot temporarily, if need be. Raffl and Laughton can go on a top 9 line short-term and not look out of place, while they can call up NAK perhaps to fill a low spot. Or one of the vets they send down (it HAS happened before *ahem*).

I get keeping Weal as top 9 "insurance." But to me that's code for: "should already be in your starting 12."

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Weal played on the 4th line at times last year.

He did, although never long-term and always teetering on the edge of being scratched. That's the top 9/4th line role mentality.

So, will he play on the 4th line this year as a regular? Based on camp, it's not looking terribly likely. At which point I'd repeat what I said above.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think him being an overager is relevant. As a 3rd round pick who only scored 43 in 64 games points in his 3rd CHL season, I doubt skipping his 4th CHL season to play in the AHL was even a consideration. He's not an Anthony Mantha level prospect.

He only got his ELC in March, five months after they cut him from Phantoms camp.
It's relevant if we are talking about one making an NHL roster as a 1st year pro. I don't mean to generalize, but I think it is appropriate in this case- overagers are usually low upside players that take time to develop into NHL players, if they even have that potential. The guys that make the NHL straight out of Junior improve leaps and bounds in their late teens/early 20s. Not a 4th year WHL player that was barely above a PPG, playing with 2 future NHLers. That doesn't mean he can't become Ryan Callahan and be a solid NHLer someday, but it's going to take time. Tbh, I'm starting to buy his potential as a straight line, bottom 6, complimentary piece, but I don't think that is any time soon.

A 3rd round pick isn't exactly a long shot. Frederic Allard went 4 picks before Twarynski and he played in the AHL last year and had success as a defenseman. The Flyers will have to make a decision on Wyatte Wylie next year. If he somehow manages to be a PPG player this year, I think there is a pretty good chance he plays in LHV next year. If he spends another year in the WHL I don't think anybody will be penciling him into 20-21 Flyers lineups.

I'm not arguing that Twarynski should have played in the AHL last year. I'm arguing that I don't think he's realistically an NHL player this year.

And as far as his contract, I haven't gotten clarification on this, but I think there is a quirky rule with overagers that if you sign them before March 1st, you burn a year off of their ELCs. I wouldn't read too much into the signing date.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't see Twarynski making it this year, but he showed me more than NAK, especially in terms of offensive skills, NAK is faster, Twarynski bigger and still skates well. So he may be getting an extended tryout b/c early in the season it's him or NAK as forward call ups. Rubtsov probably needs a few months of seasoning and I can't see Kase or Bunnaman until next year at the earliest. Of course there's Goul, MV and Bardreau, but this camp was probably their last hurrah.

Friedman is in the same boat, first call up from LHV, when Myers gets called up it'll probably be when Ron deems him ready to start on a regular basis, they won't want to yo-yo him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Stop sucking up to Striiker.

I think Weal will go somewhere else, have that one 35-40 point year, everyone will say how stupid Hextall was to give him away, and then he'll revert to 25-30 points for a couple years before fading away. He's one of those "tweeners" who don't quite fit but with the right linemates in the right season can score, like he did at the end of 2016-17. I'm just not convinced he can sustain that kind of production, and brings little else to the table.

If he had an inch and 10 lbs, or conversely, was a stride or two faster, he'd be a viable 3C.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think Weal will go somewhere else, have that one 35-40 point year, everyone will say how stupid Hextall was to give him away, and then he'll revert to 25-30 points for a couple years before fading away.

25-30 points sounds good to me! Don't minimize it. Dale Weise has 23 points in his 2 year Flyers career. Lehtera 8. Filppula, as 2C and on the PP, would've had that many too if it wasn't for empty net points. I would love to have a bottom 6 player, with sparing PP time, get 25 points. That's called a positive contributor AKA not white noise.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad