GDT: Pre-6: Bruins 4 at FLYERS 3, Monday, Sept. 24, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I counted 10 in the third

You mean like when Mac passed it to the other team. Myers only big miss cue was actually him doing what the coach is telling them to and his team mate basicly skated backwards instead of going to the puck . Hagg should have been able to get that pass

You are kidding? It was a blind pass to no one in front of his net. No coach tells a player to do that.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
What do you think the standard for a 3rd pair defenseman is? Look around the league.
You're talking basically the guys between 100-150th among defensemen (the guys below 150 are 3rd pair defensemen for bad teams).
Hagg and Folin are #6/#7 guys, Folin played half-time for the Kings.

And no, Voracek is not a great player, go find me where he's in the top 20 or 30 in the league.
He's in the 50-100 range or so, whether it's metrics or just opinion.

Last three seasons (sizeable sample) he's way down in pp/60 at 5x5, 117th at 1.67 pp/60. 137 in xGF% among forwards (behind Lehtera!).
He's 26th among forwards in PP scoring.
Know who has outperformed him the last three seasons at both full strength and PP scoring? JVR.

If you just want to go off last season - 76th among forwards in 5x5 scoring, 102 among forwards in xGF%
18th among forwards in PP scoring.

Corsica rates him 79th among forwards, behind Couts, Giroux, JVR (and B Schenn).

Only a "homer" could possibly consider Voracek to be a great player.
Your bar was didnt embarass himself My comment was on the fact that he did. not Giroux or anything else in that post that is so wrong. stay focused put the bong down and have a convo not an agenda.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Myers is only making the roster if Folin completely shits the bed, and even then, that would require Hakstol to run one of Hagg, MacDonald, or Gudas as the number 7 since Hextall won't keep Myers up just to sit in the press box 40 times a year. He's definitely not playing without major roster moves once Morin is back. As much as he could help the roster, I have almost no hope that we see him this year beyond injury call up.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
You are kidding? It was a blind pass to no one in front of his net. No coach tells a player to do that.
Go watch the game they were pulling that play all night. Everyone was. Albiet most werent so long. But where he threw the puck Hagg had a chance untill he decided to back up. Not saying its haggs fault but he certain shares some he as does myers. I dont like that type of play because of what happen there. Dont like it when the rest of the team does it. it was all night long

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hagg was backing up because if Myers loses the puck battle Boston is going to try to get the puck in front of the net for a scoring chance.
If you aren't passing to someone directly (and that wasn't a pass, it was just blindly thrown out in front of the net), then make the safe play and just chip it out of the O-zone.
Yeah, "boring" - but that's better than a goal against!@#

It's not the end of the world, it was a learning experience, Myers now knows that mistakes you get away with in the AHL are goals against in the NHL.

Hextall won't make his decision on one play, but Myers hasn't shown the instincts that you can really trust him at the NHL level yet, the same way Sanheim looked shaky at the beginning of last season. Hextall has to have confidence in Myers as a starter to keep him up, because he's not going to carry him as the 7th defenseman. That's why they signed Folin, an expendable player who can be put on waivers if need be when Morin returns.

On the other hand, if Sanheim-Gudas are your second pair, you can live with MacDonald - Myers as your third pair, with Myers playing 15 minutes and MacDonald getting PK time. But if Myers isn't ready for PK, then Ghost or Sanheim have to PK. So Myers may go back to the AHL where he can PP and PK and play 20+ minutes in all roles.

Reactions: hatcher

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Myers deserves at least a look when the regular season starts. If he gets overwhelmed then you send him back down. Got to see what you have in him when the games matter.

Who is he going to play over? Farmer? Hagg? Surely you jest?!

Reactions: Adtar02

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Who is he going to play over? Farmer? Hagg? Surely you jest?!
yeah, both …. let's give him some time to learn and adjust to the speed on the NHL, kid has skills that can't be taught. Sanheim isn't physical or strong enough yet, Hagg's overall game is just OK and McD is getting on in years and it shows. Live thru Myers mistakes early and hopefully he learns from them and progresses. Last night the Bruins were up on their skates and the Flyers WERE NOT, at home ?? isn't that coaching ?.....frustrating :thumbd:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
yeah, both …. let's give him some time to learn and adjust to the speed on the NHL, kid has skills that can't be taught. Sanheim isn't physical or strong enough yet, Hagg's overall game is just OK and McD is getting on in years and it shows. Live thru Myers mistakes early and hopefully he learns from them and progresses. Last night the Bruins were up on their skates and the Flyers WERE NOT, at home ?? isn't that coaching ?.....frustrating :thumbd:

No shit. Doesnt mean it will happen. Hak is the coach.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Myers is only making the roster if Folin completely ****s the bed, and even then, that would require Hakstol to run one of Hagg, MacDonald, or Gudas as the number 7 since Hextall won't keep Myers up just to sit in the press box 40 times a year. He's definitely not playing without major roster moves once Morin is back. As much as he could help the roster, I have almost no hope that we see him this year beyond injury call up.
He's physically ready for the NHL, but honestly he's probably better off starting in LHV and playing a ton of minutes away from this coach. Even if he makes the Flyers, his minutes are going to be managed carefully and since he likes to play with the puck and take chances, the mistakes will get him on the hot seat. Hopefully by this time next year there is a new coach running the show.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov takes lots of chances, see his minutes get cut back?
It's not whether you take chances, it's whether you know when to take chances, and which chances to take.

Reactions: 04hockey

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
We can argue about players and coaches all year long, but I think we can agree that Elliot should not be our #1 goalie. If he is we won't get out of the first playoff round, we may not even make the playoffs.

Reactions: Philly Fanatik

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
MacDonald has never looked pretty, but gets the job done.
He's a solid 3rd pair defenseman by any standard (Corsica has him around 120th in the league), it's not his fault Holmgren was an idiot and overpaid him. He's been overused b/c the young defensemen have been erratic, neither Sanheim or Hagg were reliable last year, Gudas was out to lunch.

All I know is, when Hart is up with the big club full time, I don't want AMac anywhere around him.

Hart reminds me of Bob and Quick; great coverage down low, but not tall and, therefore, susceptible to top shelf snipes and high side chip-shot rebounds.

Defensemen who cede the blue line too easily and give good shooters open looks from the tops of the circles don't help a keeper like Hart. Also, defenders who lose positioning in the slot and give opponents time and space to aim rebound shots under the bar can contribute to a very good goalie looking very bad.

For all of Andy's skills (primarily, his skating), he's relatively weak in the two areas where a goalie like Hart needs the most help.

It sounds like Hexy is intent on slow cooking Hart, and that's probably the right decision. But we need to be building a D corps now that will help take advantage of his style (and protect his weaker areas) when he's ready.

As frustrating as it can be to watch Elliott some nights, the guy is a mentally solid vet who can take errors by his defensemen in stride. In that way, he's actually not a bad guy to have in the net while you're trying to develop young defensemen. I'd much rather see the mistakes in front of him this season being made by Sanheim and Myers as they are given the minutes and opportunities to grow their games. Hopefully, they will be well on their way to reaching their potential by the time a guy like Hart joins the club as a regular.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Sorry if I missed it, did Hak defend AMac after the game?
That’s almost a rhetorical question. I take it Amac falls into the profound spectrum of “reliable vets” that gets Hakstol hard during each game.

I didn’t watch after the conclusion, but I can almost assure you he said something along the lines of “Elliot is coming back from surgery and is getting back to his formet self” ... “Amac is a reliable guy on the backend who is a role model and teach to our young inexperienced guys like Ghost, Sanheim, and Myers” ... “DID YOU SEE THE WAY LEHTERA AND WEISE PLAYED!!!!!!!!!!!”

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
Photo taken for the opening night program at the Wells Fargo...
IMG_2749.JPG

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This was Hextall's decision, don't try and deflect the blame.

Hextall is conservative with player development (not crazy conservative like some would claim, but a bit cautious), and Myers is relatively inexperienced and doesn't look like he's really comfortable out there right now.

Just look at Vorobyev, same age, also relatively inexperienced, but his instincts are off the chart, every time you look up, there is #46, making a subtle little play to steal the puck, get in the way of a pass, make a nifty little move to retain possession, etc. That's what a NHL prospect should look like. Not the flashy play which is pure athleticism, but the little plays that show you he understands the game and can anticipate what is going to happen next instead of always reacting and always be a half step behind.

Other players need that year or two in the AHL so those decisions become second nature and they can just play and use their athleticism without constantly facing paralysis by analysis, thinking too much instead of playing instinctively, pressing instead of going with the flow of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad