Oskar-Pimp-Simmer
Laughton-Weal-Raffl / Raffl-Laughton-NAK

Provy-Myers
Sanheim-Ghost
Hagg/AMac-Gudas

Stolie
Hart

This is my dream.

Forward lines look great, as do the first two D pairings. Stolarz as starter has more nightmare potential than dream. It's Groundhog Day with the goalie situation. That being said, after sleeping off last night's poopshow, I begrudgingly believe that Elliott will in all likelihood get back to his level of mediocrity and get the team through the start of the season while doctors 3D print a new groin for Neuvirth and Lyon gets back on his paws. Like it or not, Elliott is the team's best hope in the short term as the starter.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Forward lines look great, as do the first two D pairings. Stolarz as starter has more nightmare potential than dream. It's Groundhog Day with the goalie situation. That being said, after sleeping off last night's poopshow, I begrudgingly believe that Elliott will in all likelihood get back to his level of mediocrity and get the team through the start of the season while doctors 3D print a new groin for Neuvirth and Lyon gets back on his paws. Like it or not, Elliott is the team's best hope in the short term as the starter.
Stolie is better than Lyon for me. But there was point that Hart would be in about 45 games, Stolie 37 games. 1A-1B combo.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Nosing my way into the conversation, I have only been to Dubai, which (I understand) is Middle East Disneyworld.Israel is at the top of my bucket list.

I definitely believe it. I've only been to a couple of major cities for work-related conferences, but the difference between Dubai and even something like Abu Dhabi was significant.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I definitely believe it. I've only been to a couple of major cities for work-related conferences, but the difference between Dubai and even something like Abu Dhabi was significant.

Thanks, Jojo. I have no comparative context whatsoever and have been told that Dubai is night-and-day different from anything else in the ME, which I believe. Just walking around my hotel and seeing a guy in a full-length traditional Arab garment at a bar with a super tall beer in front of him was a smh moment. And the indoor ski hill. And the mall where there was (I kid you not) a Tim Horton's knockoff.

Our client's head office was in Jeddah, and we were supposed to organize a meeting there for their employees, but that fell through, unfortunately.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Stolie is better than Lyon for me. But there was point that Hart would be in about 45 games, Stolie 37 games. 1A-1B combo.

I think Stolarz is the better goaltender, too. But Stolarz missed all of last season and just completing a solid AHL season this year would be an accomplishment for him IMO. I've said my piece elsewhere about being ultra-cautious with Hart.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks, Jojo. I have no comparative context whatsoever and have been told that Dubai is night-and-day different from anything else in the ME, which I believe. Just walking around my hotel and seeing a guy in a full-length traditional Arab garment at a bar with a super tall beer in front of him was a smh moment. And the indoor ski hill. And the mall where there was (I kid you not) a Tim Horton's knockoff.

Our client's head office was in Jeddah, and we were supposed to organize a meeting there for their employees, but that fell through, unfortunately.
Never been to the Middle East. But you know how in the winter some malls/stores have really hot air coming down in between the double doors for when people come in or out? Well once I got stuck in there for like a whole two minutes because I held the door open for someone (like a good boy) and there were so many people coming in/out in close proximity that I couldn’t let go. So I think I kinda had the same experience.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
Never been to the Middle East. But you know how in the winter some malls/stores have really hot air coming down in between the double doors for when people come in or out? Well once I got stuck in there for like a whole two minutes because I held the door open for someone (like a good boy) and there were so many people coming in/out in close proximity that I couldn’t let go. So I think I kinda had the same experience.

Thanks for sharing your harrowing story, and thank goodness for Amber Alerts or you might still be there. :sarcasm:

Seriously, though, I consider it a privilege to visit somewhere else in the world and the differences just give me just a slightly broader view of everything.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Meh, MacDonald was a bit rusty, since he's hardly practiced and this was his first game, but after the first few minutes, settled down and was what he is, a smart but limited veteran 3rd pair defenseman. Don't know what you expect from him, but he's what most of the better teams, even Nashville, have on their 3rd defensive pair (Alexei Emelin and Matt Irwin).

Giroux had his share of screwups, a whiff that lead directly to a goal and a whiff that killed a drive at a key moment of the game. It's preseason.
No offense but the misses I saw were in the third. He did not settle down. Yes he is rusty. But your comment was he didn’t embarrass him self which in fact is a very low bar that he missed. Stop but your agenda in there. I didn’t comment on giroux don’t dodge you look stupid. Did he mess up sure but he was also the best player on the ice yet again.

Reactions: Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No offense but the misses I saw were in the third. He did not settle down. Yes he is rusty. But your comment was he didn’t embarrass him self which in fact is a very low bar that he missed. Stop but your agenda in there. I didn’t comment on giroux don’t dodge you look stupid. Did he mess up sure but he was also the best player on the ice yet again.
He's defending MacDonald and complaining about Giroux.

There is no clearer proof of mind melting bias. :laugh:

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, I'm defending MacDonald as a 3rd pair defenseman, wow, that's a high hurdle!
MacDonald fumbling a couple passes isn't a big deal, except for those with a bias.
And I'm complaining about Giroux being rusty and fanning on a couple passes, that's really slamming him.

So who has an agenda?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Yeah, I'm defending MacDonald as a 3rd pair defenseman, wow, that's a high hurdle!
MacDonald fumbling a couple passes isn't a big deal, except for those with a bias.
And I'm complaining about Giroux being rusty and fanning on a couple passes, that's really slamming him.

So who has an agenda?

MacDonald fumbles the puck in every game regardless of however long he's been out.

You going to say it's rust all year long?

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And what's the big deal?
MacDonald has never looked pretty, but gets the job done.
He's a solid 3rd pair defenseman by any standard (Corsica has him around 120th in the league), it's not his fault Holmgren was an idiot and overpaid him. He's been overused b/c the young defensemen have been erratic, neither Sanheim or Hagg were reliable last year, Gudas was out to lunch.

Sanheim and Myers are more talented, but less reliable, because like most young players, when they screw up, it's often a dandy.
Eventually they'll settle in and learn to play, but I'm disappointed with both their hockey IQs, of course, I'm spoiled by Provorov.
It's easy to forget that most NHL defensemen, even top 4 defensemen, don't hit their stride until 22-24.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
My only concern with Vorobyev is how is he going to look when his wingman is inevitably going to be Simmonds and not Giroux/TK? He looks great with those guys because they are creative and easy to play off of as a heady player like Misha, but Simmonds is very straightline, cookie cutter, not creative, etc. He's going to be forced to be the primary creator.

That and is he going to get special teams time to make his stay worth while?

Giroux and Tk have some unreal chemistry. Good lord. ANd TK looks like he is going to be a star.

Reactions: Adtar02

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
And what's the big deal?
He's a solid 3rd pair defenseman by any standard (Corsica has him around 120th in the league), it's not his fault Holmgren was an idiot and overpaid him. He's been overused b/c the young defensemen have been erratic, neither Sanheim or Hagg were reliable last year, Gudas was out to lunch.

Sanheim and Myers are more talented, but less reliable, because like most young players, when they screw up, it's often a dandy.
Eventually they'll settle in and learn to play, but I'm disappointed with both their hockey IQs, of course, I'm spoiled by Provorov.
It's easy to forget that most NHL defensemen, even top 4 defensemen, don't hit their stride until 22-24.

No...he doesn't get the job done. He's terrible at playing defense.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
In the last few days, I've learned that "by any standard," MacDonald is a solid 3rd pairing Defenseman and Voracek is not great. That's quite the pair of statements (and standards).

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
He's defending MacDonald and complaining about Giroux.

There is no clearer proof of mind melting bias. :laugh:
Also referenced a Play by Myers. as a negative. I saw that same play all night long almost like they are being coach to pull it off the boards and throw it towards the middle it was everyone all night. the difference on this play and the rest of the night Is what the team mates did. Hagg was in the spot the puck went towards and instead of going to it he backed in to the goalie. This is the gap problem Hak mentioned before. He left to much space and in the middle of the ice. Its a shame his nature is to stand infront of his goalie. #safeand relieable.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

So who has an agenda?
I counted 10 in the third
And what's the big deal?

You mean like when Mac passed it to the other team. Myers only big miss cue was actually him doing what the coach is telling them to and his team mate basicly skated backwards instead of going to the puck . Hagg should have been able to get that pass

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What do you think the standard for a 3rd pair defenseman is? Look around the league.
You're talking basically the guys between 100-150th among defensemen (the guys below 150 are 3rd pair defensemen for bad teams).
Hagg and Folin are #6/#7 guys, Folin played half-time for the Kings.

And no, Voracek is not a great player, go find me where he's in the top 20 or 30 in the league.
He's in the 50-100 range or so, whether it's metrics or just opinion.

Last three seasons (sizeable sample) he's way down in pp/60 at 5x5, 117th at 1.67 pp/60. 137 in xGF% among forwards (behind Lehtera!).
He's 26th among forwards in PP scoring.
Know who has outperformed him the last three seasons at both full strength and PP scoring? JVR.

If you just want to go off last season - 76th among forwards in 5x5 scoring, 102 among forwards in xGF%
18th among forwards in PP scoring.

Corsica rates him 79th among forwards, behind Couts, Giroux, JVR (and B Schenn).

Only a "homer" could possibly consider Voracek to be a great player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad