Speculation: Power Speculation: SJS need to clear 2 mill to acquire Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Not when a crucial part of it indicates that SJ is a good fit/likely team to make this deal.

It didn't say it was a good fit or more likely than the other teams mentioned in the article. It didn't even mention it as equally likely as other teams mentioned.

It said it was possibly most intriguing if SJ could get three big name defensemen together. But Tampa has an already good defense corps he would join also.

At any rate, this article talks about multiple teams rather equally and doesn't really say anything new. This could have been put in the other thread about Karlsson or just quoted as a general article about Karlsson, nothing about it is singular to San Jose.

If you read the actual article, it seems to be a compilation of all of the various rumours/thoughts that have been out there before. Then the author adds a bit more of his own speculation.

I didn't see any real rumours of substance or anything particularly new or noteworthy. I'd have to agree with VK on this one.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Link

Catching up on the latest round of Erik Karlsson trade talk

Quote:

The Sharks, meanwhile, would have to clear the biggest hurdle if they wanted to not only acquire but retain Karlsson. Not only would San Jose have to clear about $2 million in salary in the acquisition — which isn’t all that far-fetched given Ottawa would certainly want a roster player as part of the return — but the Sharks would have to find a way to use their cap space, projected to be less than $22 million under a flat cap, to retain Karlsson, captain Joe Pavelski and six RFAs, including Timo Meier and Kevin Labanc. As far as intrigue goes, though, San Jose might be the prime destination for Karlsson.

Then think long term and the 11m that it will take to resign him

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I could see a trade happening. Karlsson could get the Sharks over the hump and make them a Cup winner. If I'm Ottawa I want a 2019 1st, Braun, Josh Norris and Timo Meier.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Something around Merkley, Braun, Dell, and Meir plus picks would be fair. Ottawa gets a good D today, a good D for the future, a future #1 (maybe I'm too high on Dell) and Meir who has a ton of potential. Add a couple picks, that's at least defendable.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I could see a trade happening. Karlsson could get the Sharks over the hump and make them a Cup winner. If I'm Ottawa I want a 2019 1st, Braun, Josh Norris and Timo Meier.

The proposals you were making in the other Karlsson thread were ludicrous but this is actually fair.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They’ve got plenty of expendable players that they would dump for salary reasons before Dell.
If they think Bibeau could be ready, don't be too sure. Saving 1.2-1.3 million on your backup so you don't have to weaken your everyday product is nothing to sneeze at.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I don't get why teams that need Karlsson the least are the ones most rumored to be after him. SJ has Burns, Dallas has Klingberg(and Heiskanen), TB has everyone. I wanna see a team come from out of nowhere and land him with zero rumours before hand. Karsson/OEL feeding Keller and Strome? Karlsson setting up Boeser and Pettersen? Yes please.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't get why teams that need Karlsson the least are the ones most rumored to be after him.
What is so hard to understand about contenders wanting an elite player to potentially put them over the top? It is basically the easiest thing there is to figure out.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Something around Merkley, Braun, Dell, and Meir plus picks would be fair. Ottawa gets a good D today, a good D for the future, a future #1 (maybe I'm too high on Dell) and Meir who has a ton of potential. Add a couple picks, that's at least defendable.

I wouldn't give up that package for TWO Karlssons, holy shit.

Reactions: Nighthock

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Doesn't make sense for SJ. You'd have about $20 mil locked up on two blueliners that both play RD.

Maybe in a non salary cap league it works.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
Doesn't make sense for SJ. You'd have about $20 mil locked up on two blueliners that both play RD.

Maybe in a non salary cap league it works.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Why not have one of Burns or Karlsson on the ice for at least 2/3 of every game? That sounds wonderful.

They have solid, but unspectacular forwards, a pretty good goalie, and a solid defense. Getting Karlsson would give the forwards more room to work with, and he could be paired with Vlasic, which would be a really nice pairing. Ryan- Burns is a great 2nd pair, and Dillon-Heed/DeMelo would be fine, but not asked to do too much. They need another difference maker more than someone at a specific position.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Boedker and a 2nd round pick for a 5th round pick?

With that salary and his steady decline, Boedker has negative value. Habs have the cap space to pay him, though. It's not like he's gonna fetch you much more.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If they think Bibeau could be ready, don't be too sure. Saving 1.2-1.3 million on your backup so you don't have to weaken your everyday product is nothing to sneeze at.

They could save slightly more money and literally improve their team if they just traded Melker Karlsson and replaced him with a replacement level player. They’re not going to just trade Dell.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali

With that salary and his steady decline, Boedker has negative value. Habs have the cap space to pay him, though. It's not like he's gonna fetch you much more.
Uhh what? Ottawa isn’t trying to move Boedker and they clearly thought he had some value.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
I don't get why teams that need Karlsson the least are the ones most rumored to be after him. SJ has Burns, Dallas has Klingberg(and Heiskanen), TB has everyone. I wanna see a team come from out of nowhere and land him with zero rumours before hand. Karsson/OEL feeding Keller and Strome? Karlsson setting up Boeser and Pettersen? Yes please.
Probably because those starting rumors would prefer to see Karlsson on a contender team rather than staying with a bad one.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

One of the best unintentionally funny posts I've read on hf!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad