Speculation: Power Speculation: SJS need to clear 2 mill to acquire Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They definitely need to get rid of Melker Karlsson because of how awful it’d be seeing E. Karlsson or M. Karlsson on the back of the jersey.
They need to get rid of Melker Karlsson because he's trash.

Except for the 10 times a year that he scores a really sweet goal. I really have no use for him.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pacioretty for Pavelski?

52be1cb952531f7bc919d5a39f380d90
If you want my honest opinion, I'd rather have Pacioretty than Pavelski going forward. He's 4 years younger and Pavelski is a UFA after this year and probably wouldn't take a 1-2 year deal. I feel like Doug Wilson has really gotten way too comfortable with the contracts he's handed out recently.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
There are many teams, like Tampa, Colorado and Dallas for instance, that can easily top any package that San Jose can offer. What's their best young cheap asset? Merkley? Not much value there compared to other teams.

San Jose could put together a good trade. Sure teams like Colorado and Tampa could top it, but I doubt they would.

Something like Timo Meier + Braun + Merkley would certainly be a great start to a package for Ottawa. A Top 4D replacement for EK, a young Top 6 forward with a lot of upside in Meier, and a pretty good prospect in Merkley.

Throw in a high draft pick and they'd have an offer competitive with what other teams are going to be offering.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Also, San Jose doesn’t need to clear a god damn thing for Erik Karlsson. Yeah, they’ve only got a little over $4.3M in cap space right now according to CapFriendly, but that’s also an inaccurate lineup on CapFriendly with 23 players, including Maxim Letunov; a player who is probably no higher than 18th on San Jose’s depth chart at forward, and who is unlikely to play in the NHL for a single second this year.

If San Jose wants Erik Karlsson right now, cap space is absolutely not an issue in any way, shape, or form. They can fit Erik Karlsson on the roster right now with 21 players.

Reactions: olli

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Honestly i dont see what the Sharks could offer. They dont draft very well and dont have a very good prospect pool.. Yet also cant see them moving someone like Meier and/or Hertl in a package to Ottawa.

I dont see it happening unless Sens are obsessed with someone like Merkley or Norris or something in a pure top prospects/picks return.

And i mean that in no disrespect to Sharks fans.. I dont mind the team, just have always thought their drafting has been poor

The Sharks hold the lowest average draft position of all 31 teams Since 2003, yet their draft pick performance amongst those teams ranks, 5th in games played, 5th in goals, 7th in points in those 15 years. They're constantly churning out good players and have a better than average prospect pool. Pronman just put them at 17. I'd personally put them 14.

They draft very well and have a solid prospect pool. One of the best scouting departments in the league considering how many late round gems they continually find. Labanc for example is a 6th rounder. Balcers who is the best kept secret in all of hockey was a 5th.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I do agree with the idea that they likely don't have enough to get it done without trading one of Meier, Labanc. Which is why I said my trade idea on page 1 was light.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Not when a crucial part of it indicates that SJ is a good fit/likely team to make this deal.

It didn't say it was a good fit or more likely than the other teams mentioned in the article. It didn't even mention it as equally likely as other teams mentioned.

It said it was possibly most intriguing if SJ could get three big name defensemen together. But Tampa has an already good defense corps he would join also.

At any rate, this article talks about multiple teams rather equally and doesn't really say anything new. This could have been put in the other thread about Karlsson or just quoted as a general article about Karlsson, nothing about it is singular to San Jose.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A Sharks team with Burns and Karlsson would have to be among the absolute favorites for the cup.

Who cares about Braun? I'd throw him in a dumpster to add Karlsson.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It didn't say it was a good fit or more likely than the other teams mentioned in the article. It didn't even mention it as equally likely as other teams mentioned.

It said it was possibly most intriguing if SJ could get three big name defensemen together. But Tampa has an already good defense corps he would join also.

At any rate, this article talks about multiple teams rather equally and doesn't really say anything new. This could have been put in the other thread about Karlsson or just quoted as a general article about Karlsson, nothing about it is singular to San Jose.

Good use of the thread recycling initiative.

220px-Recycle001.svg.png

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
This potential move could shake up the Western Conference. All the VGK bandwagoneers will jump off so fast and throw back on their teal coloured sharks jerseys. Done so fast it'll make your head spin.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Do I have to highlight it in pink? I will.

"As far as intrigue goes, though, San Jose might be the prime destination for Karlsson."

"As far as intrigue goes, though, San Jose might be the prime destination for Karlsson."

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
There are many teams, like Tampa, Colorado and Dallas for instance, that can easily top any package that San Jose can offer. What's their best young cheap asset? Merkley? Not much value there compared to other teams.

It was rumored OTT scrambled after Merkley was taken, implying he was the guy on the board they wanted. They may value him more than some think.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm sure Vancouver would be content with another Ehrhoff like situation, should San Jose need to move salary. I don't see a ton of ballast on that roster though.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Honestly i dont see what the Sharks could offer. They dont draft very well and dont have a very good prospect pool.. Yet also cant see them moving someone like Meier and/or Hertl in a package to Ottawa.

I dont see it happening unless Sens are obsessed with someone like Merkley or Norris or something in a pure top prospects/picks return.

And i mean that in no disrespect to Sharks fans.. I dont mind the team, just have always thought their drafting has been poor

First/future first line wing+ for a top 3 dman? Even if it is a big plus, I'd support that

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
San Jose would have to completely deplete the farm to get karlsson and then be cap strapped for the foreseeable future

Can't see it happening or working out well for San jose

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Do I have to highlight it in pink? I will.

It's not even about recycling threads. It's about a misleading, clickbait title. I don't think I'm the only one in the first page of posts who pointed it out.

Do you realize that is saying that San Jose is the prime destination for intrigue? That's not the same as San Jose being the prime destination for him. It's just a fancy way of saying, "San Jose might be the most fascinating destination."

Fascinating because they would have three really good defenceman that's it. That doesn't say they think it's THE prime destination for him. I said that in my first post.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sharks are completely fine with cap space. Get rid of Tierney, Braun, Karlsson and they’ve cleared enough.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
It's not even about recycling threads. It's about a misleading, clickbait title. I don't think I'm the only one in the first page of posts who pointed it out.

Do you realize that is saying that San Jose is the prime destination for intrigue? That's not the same as San Jose being the prime destination for him. It's just a fancy way of saying, "San Jose might be the most fascinating destination."

Fascinating because they would have three really good defenceman that's it. That doesn't say they think it's THE prime destination for him. I said that in my first post.

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad