Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Link

Catching up on the latest round of Erik Karlsson trade talk

Quote:

The Sharks, meanwhile, would have to clear the biggest hurdle if they wanted to not only acquire but retain Karlsson. Not only would San Jose have to clear about $2 million in salary in the acquisition — which isn’t all that far-fetched given Ottawa would certainly want a roster player as part of the return — but the Sharks would have to find a way to use their cap space, projected to be less than $22 million under a flat cap, to retain Karlsson, captain Joe Pavelski and six RFAs, including Timo Meier and Kevin Labanc. As far as intrigue goes, though, San Jose might be the prime destination for Karlsson.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Outside of Meier and Labanc the RFA's are inconsequential. Ryan is a good, underrated player but if you have Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, Braun, you could do what Nashville did and roll with a Irwin/Weber type pairing.
I don't think the team would lose sleep over losing Goodrow. The others likely aren't even in the NHL.

If they got rid of M. Karlsson, Thornton came back and took yet another salary cut, traded Dell and Dillon for cheaper options, and the cap continued to climb, they could make it work for a few seasons. Which is likely the window they have. It makes sense, especially given their recent attitude change towards the draft (see what there thoughts were on Kane and why that made sense). The real question is if they have enough without dipping into those previously mentioned upcoming RFA's in Meier and Labanc.

Dillon
2020 1st
2019 2nd
2019 2nd
Merkley
Roy

Which looks light on a signed Karlsson. Maybe get Chmel is in there since there's an Ottawa connection.

Such a catch 22, their window is closing, so do they go all in, or keep their 2 young bright spots.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Outside of Meier and Labanc the RFA's are inconsequential. Ryan is a good, underrated player but if you have Karlsson, Burns, Vlasic, Braun, you could do what Nashville did and roll with a Irwin/Weber type pairing.
I don't think the team would lose sleep over losing Goodrow. The others likely aren't even in the NHL.

If they got rid of M. Karlsson, Thornton came back and took yet another salary cut, traded Dell and Dillon for cheaper options, and the cap continued to climb, they could make it work for a few seasons. Which is likely the window they have. It makes sense, especially given their recent attitude change towards the draft (see what there thoughts were on Kane and why that made sense). The real question is if they have enough without dipping into those previously mentioned upcoming RFA's in Meier and Labanc.

Dillon
2020 1st
2019 2nd
2019 2nd
Merkley
Roy

Which looks light on a signed Karlsson. Maybe get Chmel is in there since there's an Ottawa connection.

Such a catch 22, their window is closing, so do they go all in, or keep their 2 young bright spots.

No chance Sens take that.

Reactions: SensFactor and bert

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
SJ is a rumoured destination,

They were rumoured to have offered Tavares $2M+ more per season and have been seeking a marquee player. Getting a high calibre player like EK, would be a tremendous trade. Just don't know if they have enough pieces and Sens willing to take any salary dumps.

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
SJ is a rumoured destination,

They were rumoured to have offered Tavares $2M+ more per season and have been seeking a marquee player. Getting a high calibre player like EK, would be a tremendous trade. Just don't know if they have enough pieces and Sens willing to take any salary dumps.
I still don’t see how San Jose could have offere Tavares 13 million. They just don’t have the cap room

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Some wild offensive talent in Sharks if they land Karlsson.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I've always been preaching SJ as the destination for Karlsson from the very beginning

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
There are many teams, like Tampa, Colorado and Dallas for instance, that can easily top any package that San Jose can offer. What's their best young cheap asset? Merkley? Not much value there compared to other teams.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
If Ottawa send Karlsson to the Sharks, I would not be surprised if one of each of Meier/Hertl and Dillon/Braun came back Ottawa's way.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I just can't help but look at the Sharks roster and prospects and honestly this makes absolutely no sense.

First, the Sharks already have Burns that plays the first pairing RD. Fair, they could then have the best 6 man unit in the league (or one of the best - not looking for a debate here) but I really don't see the pieces to make it happen.

Their first rounder will very likely be a late one, after that I doubt they want to subtract from their current roster (Meier for example or else) and their prospects are underwhelming. I mean of course they have fine prospects like Roy and Merkley but considering they're talking about a signed Erik Karlsson it would need to be a lot more than these guys.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
IF (big if) we were trading for Karlsson, we’d ditch Braun, either in that trade to the Sens or in another separate trade. Easy.

I don’t think salary is the biggest hold up in an EK to the Sharks trade.

But it’s sure as heck fun to think about having either Erik Karlsson or Brent Burns on the ice for 50 minutes a game. Constant offensive pressure. And I’ve always said Vlasic is the ideal partner for Karlsson.

Shad

Mar 5, 2011
Pacioretty for Pavelski?

52be1cb952531f7bc919d5a39f380d90

Reactions: vuvuzela and olli

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Honestly i dont see what the Sharks could offer. They dont draft very well and dont have a very good prospect pool.. Yet also cant see them moving someone like Meier and/or Hertl in a package to Ottawa.

I dont see it happening unless Sens are obsessed with someone like Merkley or Norris or something in a pure top prospects/picks return.

And i mean that in no disrespect to Sharks fans.. I dont mind the team, just have always thought their drafting has been poor

Last edited:

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I did a Franchise Mode with the San Jose Sharks on NHL 18 where I discovered their prospect pool was underwhelming. Personally, I do not believe the Sharks have enough assets to acquire a player like Karlsson.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I've always thought that SJ being interested in EK was a little odd considering they already have Burns on the right side with Braun on the 2nd pairing. What do Sharks fans think?
Braun sucks anymore.

I don't believe having both Karlsson and Burns is over-excessive in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad