Speculation: Power Speculation: SJS need to clear 2 mill to acquire Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
IF THEY ARE SERIOUS ABOUT WINNING A CUP, then they can’t trade Hertl.

If they are serious about winning a cup then they will trade for Karlsson and not worry so much about Hertl ! Look at Vegas....just traded for a 30+ goal scorer in Max Pac and traded a 100 point junior player who went #13 overall in his draft year in Nick Suzuki to get him. Why? Because Vegas is SERIOUS about winning a cup!

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
If they are serious about winning a cup then they will trade for Karlsson and not worry so much about Hertl ! Look at Vegas....just traded for a 30+ goal scorer in Max Pac and traded a 100 point junior player who went #13 overall in his draft year in Nick Suzuki to get him. Why? Because Vegas is SERIOUS about winning a cup!
I'm sure Vegas had that in mind when they gave up so much in trading for Tatar as well

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Of course they're going to worry about Hertl. Hertl is a contributing player to their team right now and helps them win games now. He's not some overhyped role player on the Sharks. He's their best all-around forward right now. Trading that for one year of Karlsson is foolish. Vegas didn't contribute anyone remotely close to Hertl to get Pacioretty. At most, the Sharks will pay up someone like Tierney or Labanc or maybe Meier or a combination of the three plus some other assets. Hertl's not going to happen because of how important he is to the team right now and moving forward.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I'm sure Vegas had that in mind when they gave up so much in trading for Tatar as well

Sure and it didn't work out , though they almost won the cup despite the trade and now have traded Tatar in the Max Pac deal thereby correcting the mistake and getting and signing long term the much better player. The Sharks can sit back and do nothing and keep Hertl if they like but if they do then in my opinion they'll be watching the Golden Knights or the Caps or Preds lifting the cup this coming spring!

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Of course they're going to worry about Hertl. Hertl is a contributing player to their team right now and helps them win games now. He's not some overhyped role player on the Sharks. He's their best all-around forward right now. Trading that for one year of Karlsson is foolish. Vegas didn't contribute anyone remotely close to Hertl to get Pacioretty. At most, the Sharks will pay up someone like Tierney or Labanc or maybe Meier or a combination of the three plus some other assets. Hertl's not going to happen because of how important he is to the team right now and moving forward.

I'm thinking people need to re-read what I posted originally because I suggested that Hertl would need to go the other way because of how much he makes and NOT because he's a salary dump! He might be an important piece for the Sharks but with his high salary he'd likely be going the other way in a trade for Karlsson, who's right now the much better player and an impact player ! And Max Pac was just traded for and signed long term in Vegas so why can't Karlsson be traded for and sign long term with the Sharks ?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm thinking people need to re-read what I posted originally because I suggested that Hertl would need to go the other way because of how much he makes and NOT because he's a salary dump! He might be an important piece for the Sharks but with his high salary he'd likely be going the other way in a trade for Karlsson, who's right now the much better player and an impact player ! And Max Pac was just traded for and signed long term in Vegas so why can't Karlsson be traded for and sign long term with the Sharks ?

Sharks would only need to move about 2.5-3 million to account for Karlsson. They don't need to move Hertl to accomplish that. They can send out Tierney and/or Karlsson and/or Braun to do that. If they end up re-signing Karlsson to at minimum 11 mil long term, they have Pavelski and Thornton expiring and probably one or two of those previously mentioned players that they could move as well as probably adding someone like Dillon to that list to make room if necessary. Again, they don't need to move Hertl to accommodate Karlsson.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If Karlsson is signed, I absolutely am okay with including Hertl. That said, I imagine fans of the other key teams in trade talks may be okay with including Sergachev, Heiskanen, or Glass, who would likely be a better fit given their age and upside.

I don't know that I could give up Hertl for one year of Karlsson. Sure, he is a 48 point player, but he is a world-class defensive player and absolutely dominates possession. In my opinion, he is our most important forward, though very reasonable arguments could be made for Thornton, Pavelski, or Couture.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Can you imagine Burns,Karlsson,Vlasic,Braun,Ryan,and Dillon on defense. So if I'm the Sharks I would trade 2019 1st and 4th round pick along with a 2020 conditional 5th round pick with Lebanc,Karlsson,Heed,Merkley all to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson and maybe a pick or prospect in return. Ottawa gets the picks they want they get roster players who are good to rebuild with and the Sharks get there guy who they can retain.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
WHat rumor even has SJ as a serious suitor for EK65? I haven’t seen one. Just Dallas, TB and Vegas ( who is now probably out)

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Sharks would only need to move about 2.5-3 million to account for Karlsson. They don't need to move Hertl to accomplish that. They can send out Tierney and/or Karlsson and/or Braun to do that. If they end up re-signing Karlsson to at minimum 11 mil long term, they have Pavelski and Thornton expiring and probably one or two of those previously mentioned players that they could move as well as probably adding someone like Dillon to that list to make room if necessary. Again, they don't need to move Hertl to accommodate Karlsson.

right but i'm guessing one of the asking pieces from the Sens side would be Hertl and i can't blame them, the Sharks wouldn't be getting Karlsson for free after all.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I haven’t seen anything recent to indicate the Sharks are still in on Karlsson or Panarin.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
right but i'm guessing one of the asking pieces from the Sens side would be Hertl and i can't blame them, the Sharks wouldn't be getting Karlsson for free after all.

From my perspective, if the Sharks can't get Karlsson without giving up Hertl and Meier then I don't want to make the move and would prefer to wait until free agency if he gets there. The Sharks simply don't need Karlsson that much where they absolutely need to grab him when they have Brent Burns. That sense of urgency would be there if it was someone like Tyler Seguin or John Tavares last year but not Karlsson.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I don't blame Sharks fans for being loyal to their guys, but I don't think they understand just how dangerous they would be with Karlsson and Burns. Nashville got to the final by having Josi and Subban almost always on the ice and some good wingers despite a weak middle and a goalie that was either hot or very cold. Karlsson/Burns is an upgrade on that and you still have firepower up front and an underrated goalie. The Pacific is a winnable division. Whoever makes it out of the central is guaranteed to be beat up. You add Karlsson, you got a better shot at the Cup than 2016.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't blame Sharks fans for being loyal to their guys, but I don't think they understand just how dangerous they would be with Karlsson and Burns. Nashville got to the final by having Josi and Subban almost always on the ice and some good wingers despite a weak middle and a goalie that was either hot or very cold. Karlsson/Burns is an upgrade on that and you still have firepower up front and an underrated goalie. The Pacific is a winnable division. Whoever makes it out of the central is guaranteed to be beat up. You add Karlsson, you got a better shot at the Cup than 2016.

I honestly take this as an insult. It has nothing to do with loyalty or to do with our understanding of Karlsson. These fans don't live under a rock here. We know what he is and what he brings. I don't think people quite understand what Hertl brings nor the position Ottawa is in from a leverage perspective. The Sharks don't need to acquire Karlsson to win the division and get to the Finals really. If Karlsson goes elsewhere, it's not going to be some doomsday scenario for the Sharks. They'll be competitive and they'll have their opportunity to do well and get far in the playoffs if things break right for them. The Sharks have a much bigger need down the middle opening up soon to where they can't afford to trade someone like Hertl who could step in to that spot as an interim or fill the 2nd spot or fill another top six winger spot depending on what the team has all while being their most effective all-around forward as most of the other forwards are not all that versatile.

If the Sharks can't get Karlsson on their terms which should be keeping Hertl definitely off the table and doing their best to keep Meier off the table then they should bide their time. If Karlsson is available in free agency and no top centers are then they can make a pitch for him then but he's not a must-have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad