News Article: Power Ranger Leaves to Play in Switzerland

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He should be ashamed of how bad he was he cost us multiple games by himself. I think an argument can be made that his play cost us a playoff spot.

Cory Cross was better and Cory Cross was garbage

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He should be ashamed of how bad he was he cost us multiple games by himself. I think an argument can be made that his play cost us a playoff spot.

Cory Cross was better and Cory Cross was garbage

Spent most of last season addressing exactly this.

Ranger were on for very few goals against. Actually most result-based numbers were good.

One can criticize his play and him as a player, but saying that he cost us games is just flat out false. Just like one can criticize Robidas this season, but for whatever reason his weak play didn't end up costing us.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Spent most of last season addressing exactly this.

Ranger were on for very few goals against. Actually most result-based numbers were good.

One can criticize his play and him as a player, but saying that he cost us games is just flat out false. Just like one can criticize Robidas this season, but for whatever reason his weak play didn't end up costing us.

Really? Because I saw him cost us game after game I can think of a game a couple games especifically both against boston if I remember right

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Ranger is just an example at how competitive the NHL is. Falling behind is fatal in almost all instances to an NHL career. He was a good defenceman in Tampa. But it's really difficult to fault a guy who was -1 when there guys who were -20, -15, -14 on your team. FWIW, VOKUTA has him slightly above replacement value (http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck/sortable/).

Sure, he 'cost us some games'. Hockey is a game of mistakes. He didn't make more than his fair share of them when he was here. And he played on Carlyle-coached teams that put a great deal of pressure on the defencemen in the defensive zone. The Leafs got every ounce of good hockey that was left in him, and dropped him before playing him was a mistake.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Really? Because I saw him cost us game after game I can think of a game a couple games especifically both against boston if I remember right

Really? He cost us game after game, without getting scored on much? How does that work, exactly?

And you mention "both" against Boston? Well the first one he had 1 point and was +1 in a 3-1 defeat. How did he cost us that game exactly? In the second he was -1 with 18 minutes played in a blowout victory for Boston. In the third he didn't play, and in the fourth he had 1 point and was a +1.

On top of that he was the second best in goals against on defense that season, and was way ahead of everyone else when he was actually playing bad.

He played bad, but we got lucky and it didn't cost us at all.

I'm very much looking forward to hear you explain just how exactly he cost us so much. Because in my book, for a player to cost his team something, bad things actually have to happen.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I thought Phaneuf and Kessel cost the Leafs all the games?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

Ranger was pretty good with us. He just had a hard-time because of his history with drugs and injuries. Killorn pretty much ended his NHL career with a terrible hit from behind

This thread isn't exactly relevant to anything unsure about the bump

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
With Kessel gone, can Phaneuf pick of the slack this coming season? :naughty:

With the Leafs luck he'll end up with a season ending injury and they'll win the division.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Really? He cost us game after game, without getting scored on much? How does that work, exactly?

And you mention "both" against Boston? Well the first one he had 1 point and was +1 in a 3-1 defeat. How did he cost us that game exactly? In the second he was -1 with 18 minutes played in a blowout victory for Boston. In the third he didn't play, and in the fourth he had 1 point and was a +1.

On top of that he was the second best in goals against on defense that season, and was way ahead of everyone else when he was actually playing bad.

He played bad, but we got lucky and it didn't cost us at all.

I'm very much looking forward to hear you explain just how exactly he cost us so much. Because in my book, for a player to cost his team something, bad things actually have to happen.

That 3-1 game you brought up he was responsible for the GWG if I remember right he fell on the goalie, making it impossible to make a save and in the process injured him.

The other game I was thinking of must not have been against the bruins but I do remember it being a game we lost in Over time where both the GTG and GWG were DIRECT results of Paul ranger taking dumb, shellfish penalties. That's just 2 examples there are many more.

You cNt bring up a player +\- either because that is the most useless stat in hockey

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ranger was pretty good with us. He just had a hard-time because of his history with drugs and injuries. Killorn pretty much ended his NHL career with a terrible hit from behind

He had a hard time because he was garbage. Stop making excuses

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That 3-1 game you brought up he was responsible for the GWG if I remember right he fell on the goalie, making it impossible to make a save and in the process injured him.

The other game I was thinking of must not have been against the bruins but I do remember it being a game we lost in Over time where both the GTG and GWG were DIRECT results of Paul ranger taking dumb, shellfish penalties. That's just 2 examples there are many more.

You cNt bring up a player +\- either because that is the most useless stat in hockey

Yeah, Shellfish penalties are really bad.

+/- is bad when judging player performance. When it comes to whether or not your play hurt your team though, it does its job.

Classic example of scapegoating here. By your standards, every player on our roster cost us the season. Everybody has taken dumb penalties or had a few bad shifts that end up in the back of the net. Ranger had that happen to him less than pretty much anybody on the team.

You don't cost your team game after game, when you are the least victimized defenseman on your team. You don't cost your team the season when you barely get outscored over the season. A few isolated events is not going to change that. Period.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, Shellfish penalties are really bad.

+/- is bad when judging player performance. When it comes to whether or not your play hurt your team though, it does its job.

Classic example of scapegoating here. By your standards, every player on our roster cost us the season. Everybody has taken dumb penalties or had a few bad shifts that end up in the back of the net. Ranger had that happen to him less than pretty much anybody on the team.

You don't cost your team game after game, when you are the least victimized defenseman on your team. You don't cost your team the season when you barely get outscored over the season. A few isolated events is not going to change that. Period.

yeah Ranger was fine, he certainly wouldn't be one you'd want to point fingers at.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario

really? I've never heard about that. Can you explain?

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
Ranger had more points than David Clarkson. At least we'll always remember him for that.

And this

Ranger-Gif.gif

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

I wanted an update on what he was up to.

That hit was brutal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad