News Article: Power Ranger Leaves to Play in Switzerland

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Always felt he got way more grief than he deserved.

Had a poor first month and by that point people had made up their minds. Sad, really. Felt he would have been a good bottom-pairing D for us this season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Had a poor first month and by that point people had made up their minds. Sad, really. Felt he would have been a good bottom-pairing D for us this season.

It's been that way for a long time. People have unreal expectations of bottom pairing players, it's called the Berg Syndrome.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This does open a spot for a Marlie and perhaps the main reason why Leafs didn't really feel the need to bringing him back even at $1mil.

Going to be interesting to see who replaces him now on the depth chart as the #6/7 dman on the roster.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I would have been fine bringing him back as a #7, though it'll be nice to see his spot go to one of the team's prospects. I wish him the best in Geneva.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
I thought he was solid in the 2nd half, probably would've gotten better this year as well.

but i'm not crying over it, we have a tonne of depth at the bottom pairing position, especially with Granberg and Holzer ready, as well as probably a couple dark horses.

its a top 4 guy we lack, and he didnt seem like a top 4 guy anymore.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Switzerland is a beautiful country both quiet and peaceful and very picturesque.

Ranger seems to like being out of the spotlight and live a peaceful quiet life without the stress and pressure of the NHL, nor the hectic travel.

I have a feeling that at $1 mil his former NHL salary he is likely getting similarly paid by the Swiss to play less games and enjoy life more.

This ist true and he has to pay less taxes also, so my guess that in case of money it's probably quite similar with a contract he'd get in the NHL right now.

Mar 12, 2009
I would probably take the pay cut if I were him too. It's worth it to live in a nice city in Switzerland than in Toronto or it's suburbs.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Good Luck to Ranger he started to pick up his game near the end of the season and I thought we might sign him, nice guy and I hope he does well in Switzerland.

If we go with 8 D this year, likely Granberg, plus Holzer, Percy or Marshall will be penciled in to fill out the back-end.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
He had a few bad games at the start of the season which made him a scapegoat for the rest of the season.

He was really good in the 2nd half of the season. People only seem to remember the first few games.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

Yep. I was thinking the same thing. He was a fine bottom pairing guy by the end of the year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This ist true and he has to pay less taxes also, so my guess that in case of money it's probably quite similar with a contract he'd get in the NHL right now.

"Ja das ist wahr" ;)

However the cost of living as you know is likely much higher even compared to prices in Toronto in comparison.

Switzerland is an expensive country to live in, so I wonder if along with his contract Ranger is also receiving a discount of his accommodations for living as part of the deal?

Do you know if Swiss import players receive any sort of this type of benefit/compensation to play in the Swiss league? Does the team provide assistance ?

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Income tax in that bracket is significantly higher in Switzerland than in Canada, 46% vs 29%(Ontario).

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
Dear danger... your pre season penalty shoot was awesome, gl hf in switz

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
He was pretty decent after the horrible first 1-2 months of the season which was expected to be an adjustment period. He had a mean streak that I liked as well. I wouldve taken him back on a cheap contract for sure.

Like mentioned above i'm guessing this was a money thing, he was out of the NHL for a while so that's like 4-5 years of him not getting paid in a career that only lasts until youre around 35. I can see why he would want to make as much as possible right now.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
It's too bad he was a much better option than Holzer or MacWilliam.

Anyways I wish him the best.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
It's been that way for a long time. People have unreal expectations of bottom pairing players, it's called the Berg Syndrome.

especially for a guy who missed what 4 season's? nobody steps back into the best league in the world after missing that much time and not have to take some time to get back up to speed.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Good for him and hopefully it goes well.

I'd say he had a decent last few months (before the truck went over the cliff), but he didn't have a good year. Certainly didn't want him back to spend a year hoping he'd regain NHL form. I really don't think this was a case of a guy not getting a break. People tried to give him a pretty wide timeline to get up to speed. He just didn't do it.

It was worth a gamble, didn't pay off and now we move on. Will certainly hope he has a good time out in Switzerland though. Not a bad guy after all.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Power Ranger? :laugh: That's awesome, which one would he be?

Best of luck to him, his play deff improved down the stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad