News Article: Power Ranger Leaves to Play in Switzerland

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ranger Danger!:laugh:

Terribly bad in the first half. Played all right in the 2nd half.

Meh.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
I wonder if this was his choice or if he simply didn't get any strong one-way offers from any NHL teams? Good luck to him but I won't miss him around the Leafs.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This puzzles me. The guy signed in Toronto, with the Marlies, then the Leafs, to be close to family, due to family issues. Then goes to Switzerland? Could he have signed somewhere further from home? Strange.

Not disappointed he isn't back with the Leafs, just find it to be strange.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
All the best Ranger! Got better as the season progressed but for the Leafs they have a lot of up and coming young d-men in the system

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
He played really well down the stretch. Best of luck to him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Switzerland is a beautiful country both quiet and peaceful and very picturesque.

Ranger seems to like being out of the spotlight and live a peaceful quiet life without the stress and pressure of the NHL, nor the hectic travel.

I have a feeling that at $1 mil his former NHL salary he is likely getting similarly paid by the Swiss to play less games and enjoy life more.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Bye Paul. I hope you get what you're looking for in, Switzerland. he may not have been the best here, but I always loved this quote.

"I'm not playing now and I understand that - but I hope I get another chance to play because I feel that I have so much more to give." - this was when he was in the press box for a month. no "i deserve to be there." just - understanding and wanting to show what he's got.

also his comment of "We're not sitting here thinking of ways to lose. We WANT to win. our FANS want us to win, and if you look, deep, deeep down, you media types want us to win too. So we're going to have to ALL come together and support that." :laugh: Ranger was frank - i loved it.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
This is probably a good move for him, for the reasons others said above.

I would've liked to have him back on the same contract. I would rather have Ranger sitting in the press box than a kid, and there is still the (limited) potential he returns to prior form.

Oct 19, 2007
Despite his occasional bad plays, I liked him . Now that he is gone I guess the search is on for another cheap 7th defenseman. There are many defensemen on the Marlies that can fill that role but I would rather that they continue to develop in the AHL rather than stunt their growth playing 6 minutes a night with the Leafs in tha role. Any guesses as to who will be that 7th defenseman ?.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Despite his occasional bad plays, I liked him . Now that he is gone I guess the search is on for another cheap 7th defenseman. There are many defensemen on the Marlies that can fill that role but I would rather that they continue to develop in the AHL rather than stunt their growth playing 6 minutes a night with the Leafs in tha role. Any guesses as to who will be that 7th defenseman ?.

Holzer in that #7 role would be pretty good. He's got a 1-way contract for this season and I think it's time for him to be on the Leafs permanently.

Him and Granberg will definitely battle it out for that #6-7 spot.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Ultimately he couldn't regain what he lost during his time out of the game in time to rebuild his value. Next year he might have returned to form, but NHL teams can't depend on "might be" or "could be" for too long. The league has too much parity and a string of bad games can be disastrous as we all know. It was nice to see him try. Good luck Ranger.

Last edited:

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
Switzerland is a beautiful country both quiet and peaceful and very picturesque.

Ranger seems to like being out of the spotlight and live a peaceful quiet life without the stress and pressure of the NHL, nor the hectic travel.

I have a feeling that at $1 mil his former NHL salary he is likely getting similarly paid by the Swiss to play less games and enjoy life more.

I assume he will get approx. 560000-780000 USD net.

I am wondering how he will do over here.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I always liked Ranger, and no doubt he spent a lot of last season getting his game form back, but it was coming around nicely. ... but obviously he's got higher priorities than playing in the NHL. Damn, i wish i could live in Switzerland...

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
He struggled initially but his game came around and he was a decent #6-7.

Just got pushed out of Toronto due to the youth coming up the system.

A little bit surprised he signed in Switzerland, given that he signed in Toronto to be close to home, but I wish him luck nonetheless.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I liked him. He was never a burden on the cap nor did I really expect a ton out of the guy. Hope he has a good career in the Swiss league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad