News Article: Power Ranger Leaves to Play in Switzerland

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Like I said in the other thread, didn't like how Carlyle used him or who he was partnered with most of the year.

Gl Ranger in continuing your pro career.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
"Ja das ist wahr" ;)

However the cost of living as you know is likely much higher even compared to prices in Toronto in comparison.

Switzerland is an expensive country to live in, so I wonder if along with his contract Ranger is also receiving a discount of his accommodations for living as part of the deal?

Do you know if Swiss import players receive any sort of this type of benefit/compensation to play in the Swiss league? Does the team provide assistance ?

Usually import players don't pay for their cars and appartements.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
I ranted on him all year... He was slightly better at the end of the season but he's awful.

I like that we are letting dead weight be dead weight... Mclement, ranger, Raymond, Bolland etc

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nothing wrong with getting a good salary to play a game at a level you'll excel at in a picturesque and beautiful part of the world. Great for Paul Ranger on a personal level and good for the Leafs.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Good luck Ranger. I didnt mind him as a bottom pairing guy. Once he got away from Fraser he was fine.

Fun fact: Paul Ranger had more goals then Franson despite not getting PP time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
So much for being the Gunnarsson replacement.

:laugh:

Leafs aren't perfect, so just because they sign someone doesn't mean they are better than what is already there.

Good for him personally, and good for Leafs' fans.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Good luck Ranger. I didnt mind him as a bottom pairing guy. Once he got away from Fraser he was fine.

This ^ way better Dman than Franson at a fraction of the price way to go NoNuts .

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Too slow.

Disliked his penchant for dumb penalties.

Other than that, was fairly decent and added some nastiness to the back end.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I would have been happy to have Ranger back in the 6-7 role next season.

I was pulling for him to regain his Tampa Bay form, and he was coming back nicely by the end of the season.

While the reason's he stepped away remain his own, I will always respect his ability to look at the big picture and realize that in the course of his lifetime, being a pro hockey player is a short, and inconsequential time, in the grand scheme of things.

Whether you like him or not, you have to give him props for making it into the most competitive hockey league in the world, and stepping away on his own terms when he is at the peak of his career, because he didn't feel he had what he needed to live the life that he needed.

I respect him, and I wish him well.

BB

Tyler Biggs*

http://theleafsnation.com/2014/7/15/paul-ranger-heads-to-switzerland

In a move that surprised a few, Paul Ranger has signed for an organization that isn't the Toronto Maple Leafs. in that's surprised everybody, Ranger has gone as far away as possible, signing in Switzerland with Genève-Servette.

Ranger's story is an interesting one. Not much is really known, but the 29 year old defenceman suddenly retired from the NHL while in entering prime age with the Tampa Bay Lightning. It's been generally accepted that he had personal issues that needed to be addressed. Ranger spent most of his time as close to his home in Whitby as possible, went back to school, kept training, and even coached a AAA team.

Eventually, he got the urge to play hockey at a higher level again, and signed with the Toronto Marlies. Not wanting to risk being moved away from home, he signed an AHL-only deal, and entered camp by dominating every possible fitness test. His on-ice performance was solid too, putting up 29 points in 60 regular season and playoff games while being one of their steadiest players on the back end.

Tyler Biggs*

Ex-Leaf Ranger ‘excited’ to play in Switzerland: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...man-paul-ranger-geneva-switzerland-ufa-signs/

Paul Ranger, an unrestricted free agent, has landed a new contract overseas.

The former Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman has agreed to a two-year deal to play for Geneve-Servette in Switzerland’s National League A.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve been so excited to meet a new challenge,†said Ranger, via team press release. “I hope to live up to the expectations of our fans.â€

Tyler Biggs*

We need someone from within to step out of the farm club, or at least give someone a chance, I think that's the strategy Shanny's gonna try, hope the scouts did their jobs.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

They had a bunch of players who hurt the club much more than he did. I wanted him back, and like the Gunnar move I am not certain they have a better option ready. People talk about all the Marlie players who can step into a spot but we see this every year and prospects are seldom the impact players we hope. Having said that, a 5-6-7 D is a much lower risk spot to tinker with than the Gunnar move and your #6 D in TOI is not likely to be the tipping point for a playoff spot. Hopefully this means they are so sold on Granberg they see the move as a no brainer, but he only played 12 minutes with the big club so it might be optimistic.

After being away from the NHL as long as he was, I saw last season as a development year and that we could reasonably expect Ranger to improve on. Looking at his past I am not sure he had the tools to improve to a #4 guy on a good team so the move is a little bit of short term pain at worst as they juggle the bottom pairing for a fit. Based on the healthy scratches perhaps he just wasn't a Randy guy and they might still be shopping outside for a more physical type like Fraser as a 6-7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad