Waived: Poulin, Leggio, Zolnierczyk, Ness,(Cleared), Skille (Claimed by CBJ)

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
I could see the Avs picking up Poulin if they have room. It's up to Roy.

Their current back-up is Reto Berra.. a 27 year old veteran Swiss-league player who came over about a year ago, for whom they traded a 2014 2nd to Calgary this past March and then immediately signed to a 3 year, $1.435M/per (one way) deal before he even played a game for the team..

Snippet from NHL.com article: "He was on the top of our list," coach Patrick Roy said. "He's [6-foot-4], a big kid, and he's worked with (Avs goalie coach) Francois (Allaire) in the past. Francois is very confident in him. We've been saying all along we don't want rental players. We wanted someone we believe will play for us long-term. He's been very receptive to what Francois wants. He's doing well, and I'm sure he'll be ready for his game against Winnipeg."

Given his contract and all that I doubt they're gonna want Poulin.. they certainly don't need him..

Article link for the curious: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=709542

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
Right?

At least give them a few games together before pulling the "it's best for the team if...." speech before putting them on different lines!

They're still rolling 5 lines in practice. This is just for now. After Tuesday's cuts, if they aren't on the same line, then fine. That's when you can complain.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
They're still rolling 5 lines in practice. This is just for now. After Tuesday's cuts, if they aren't on the same line, then fine. That's when you can complain.

If we lose I will complain and question Snow, Cappy, everyone..

If we win I will not complain nor question anything or anyone.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Not thrilled about Poulin. I still feel he could be good one day, he's had his growing pains but has also impressed from time to time.

Anyhow, with today's acquistions, no Isles fans could be upset.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Actually Grabovski said in an interview that neither of them had prior knowledge of the other's signing and it was all their agent. It's what he said. Though his statement seemed credible.

That is surprising. Kind of hard to believe the agent could steer them to the same team, without making them a 'package deal'.

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
So far:

Back to Bridgeport, no waivers: Collberg, Galant, Halmo, Mouillierat, Persson, Quine, Sundstrom, Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech, Pokka

Waived: Poulin, Leggio, Zolnierczyk, Skille, Ness

Back to Juniors: Ho-Sang, Dal Colle

Still left:
Forwards (16) - Tavares, Grabovski, Kulemin, Bailey, Grabner, Okposo, Clutterbuck, Nielsen, Martin, Cizikas, Nelson, Strome, Boulton, McDonald, Conacher, Lee
Defense (11) - Visnovsky, Hamonic, de Haan, Carkner, Czuczman, Reinhart, Strait, Hickey, Brennan, Pulock, Donovan
Goalies (2) - Halak, Johnson

Anything missing?

Brennan is gone- Leddy deal

I'm surprised at the ones that are still here.
1-Donovan- defensive liability
2-Boulton- Strictly offensive enforcer. Waste of a roster spot. Martin and Clutterbuck can do the fighting. I heard through the grapevine the Flyers won't be carrying an enforcer. Why should the Isles.
3-Visnovsky- old, injury prone.
4-Carkner- Strictly defensive enforcer, and a bad one at that. Boychuk should more than make up for him

Don't care if Poulin gets claimed. Except for Isles have no one decent in pipeline with Nilsson gone.
Skille may be claimed.

I'm thinking Pulock goes back to Juniors. Reinhart probably the AHL

I'm thinking at least one of Nelson/Lee/Strome starts in the AHL. unless McDonald is waived instead. But then that kills the 4th line. unless Cappy puts Clutterbuck there, which he won't. He may be a bottom6 but I doubt coaching staff think of him as a bottom 3. Only problem is he doesn't have the speed to keep up with Grabner and Nielsen. So it looks like it's the 4th line for him.

Last edited:

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
Brennan is gone- Leddy deal

I'm surprised at the ones that are still here.
1-Donovan- defensive liability
2-Boulton- Strictly offensive enforcer. Waste of a roster spot. Martin and Clutterbuck can do the fighting. I heard through the grapevine the Flyers won't be carrying an enforcer. Why should the Isles.
3-Visnovsky- old, injury prone.
4-Carkner- Strictly defensive enforcer, and a bad one at that. Boychuk should more than make up for him

Don't care if Poulin gets claimed. Except for Isles have no one decent in pipeline with Nilsson gone.
Skille may be claimed.

I'm thinking Pulock goes back to Juniors. Reinhart probably the AHL

I'm thinking at least one of Nelson/Lee/Strome starts in the AHL. unless McDonald is waived instead. But then that kills the 4th line. unless Cappy puts Clutterbuck there, which he won't. He may be a bottom6 but I doubt coaching staff think of him as a bottom 3. Only problem is he doesn't have the speed to keep up with Grabner and Nielsen. So it looks like it's the 4th line for him.

The Isles sent down the ones they had definitely decided were not going to make the cut and see if the Bridgeport bound players make it through waivers in time for Bridgeport training camp (starts Monday?). The ones still here could go either way and are harder decisions that are being put off depending on injury status or other considerations.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I thought the AHL has an age restriction of 20 min?

Sing him happy birthday because he turns 20 on Monday!

And what's with all these negative posts demon - these were great moves today! Be happy!

giddy up*

Sing him happy birthday because he turns 20 on Monday!

And what's with all these negative posts demon - these were great moves today! Be happy!

He's not really an Islander fan.

Want proof? Ask him for his opinion on Tavares.

islesforlife

Dec 13, 2013
East Coast USA
From what I read they have the same agent and only agreed to sign if they were guaranteed to play on the same line. wish I could remember I read it

I think that was more of an wide-spread assumption from the fact that their agent got them signed as a package (he was trying to sign them together) and that they both had their best years together.

Would it be smart to separate them? Maybe, maybe not. I'd like to see how that line of Grabo-Nelson-Strome looks. I'd also like to see a Grabo-Nelson-Kulemin and a Kulemin-Grabo-Strome line.

That's the great thing about this roster, there's so much flexibility. It's great!

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Not thrilled about Poulin. I still feel he could be good one day, he's had his growing pains but has also impressed from time to time.

Anyhow, with today's acquistions, no Isles fans could be upset.

I doubt Poulin gets claimed. Every team is set with goaltending for now and most teams have their own version of Poulin.

It will be good for Poulin and the Isles to see what he can do getting 60 games in the AHL.

I would rather Skille than Cmac. I guess being buddies with JT helps sometimes

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad