Potential Hall of Famers

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Alex Mogilny - Forget debating Bure, why not Mogilny? Peak wise he was as good as Bure or pretty close. He battled with bouts of inconsistency but when he was good he was fabulous. 2nd team all-stars in '93 and '96. He had 100 points seasons twice. He won a Cup with New jersey but surprisingly wasnt as effective as he should have been. In 2001 he had 43 goals and coincidentally it was his contract year and he excelled in the playofs that year to helping NJ back to the Cup final. He lacks overall playoff numbers and that hurts him.

Sergei Zubov - So far only has one 2nd team all-star to his credit ('06) but will that be good enough? Consider this: He has been a two time Cup winner and a good playoff performer. He led the Rangers in points as a defenseman the year they won the Cup. Offensively he's put up some very good numbers. He hasnt really been dogged by inconsistent seasons either. But was he ever great at any time in his career? I dont know

Zdeno Chara - A first team all-star and a second team all-star so far in his career. Chara has been an imposing prescence all of his career. I think he hurt his career badly when he left Ottawa. But so far despite his good seasons I have yet to see some good playoff calibre hockey from him. So far that will hurt him. The only thing is that at the end of his career he'll be remembered as the biggest player of all time and even if he has a below calibre career that may push him over the top. So far its 50/50

Markus Naslund - He's had one of the weirdest careers ever. So good at one time and then fell off theface of the earth after that. After the lockout he's been okay and he's only had 3-4 seasons of elite Hockey. But in those years he was a first team all-star three times. He won the Pearson in '03, he was a top 3 scorer in three years in a row. Yet he has no Cups, lacks playoff succes and even when Sweden won the Gold in '06 he wasnt on the team. That and he's well below a point per game in his career. He may have been hurt the most by Bertuzzi's "thing". You want to see him in there but you just feel you cant justify him getting in.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'd say no to all of the above. Chara has a shot, but he needs to step his game back up to where it was when he was with Ottawa and maintain that level.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Chara's a not yet. A Norris finalist and a first-team all-star in 2004, and a second-team all-star in 2006. He's also a pretty important player in his generation. Not just that he's the tallest player in NHL history (there are a couple other 6'9" guys, but they were enforcers). He's the only player taller than 6'6" to really thrive in the show. The downside? Two all-star seasons. One or two other seasons in which he was viewed as a high-end player. And his playoff performances have left a lot to be desired.

No to the other three. Mogilny had two seasons in which he met expectations. The guy should have been a perennial 50-goal scorer. I've always maintained that he had the most offensive potential of the three star 89 forwards from the USSR. He had the potential to lead the league in goals each year, but he was a magnificent playmaker, too. HHOF talent, without question. But not an HHOF player. And he had some pretty underwhelming playoffs. A chronic underachiever, and an occasional malcontent.

MS can give you a thorough breakdown of why Zubov shouldn't be in the HHOF. My bottom line is this: just not enough time among the league's elite. He has two rings, and he was really good in the playoffs (which is why I'd vote for him ahead Phil Housley), but there are several eligible defencemen not in the HHOF - Mark Howe, JC Tremblay and Carl Brewer - who are more deserving.

Naslund will generate debate. He brokethrough in 98-99, when he was near the league lead in goals for much of the season. And he was fabulous from 2000-01 to 2003-04. Three first-team all-star selections (granted, at the weaker LW position, but he would have been a first-team guy in 2002-03 regardless of how they determined the all-stars), and if not for a broken leg in 2000-01, he probably has a fourth. A Pearson winner and a Hart finalist. Biggest qualm? (Even bigger than the LW thing). Never elevated his play in the playoffs. Numbers don't look bad, but his play was never as good as the numbers indicated. I wouldn't put him in, and I don't think he belongs. I think Mats Naslund deserves it more.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My list of future Hall of Famers currently play in the NHL.

** Only putting players who have already played at least 10 seasons

Jagr
Shanahan
Brodeur
Lidstrom
Hasek
Fedorov
Sakic
Neidermayer
Pronger

** Borderline .. Sundin, Recchi & Modano

Last edited:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Not yet for Chara
No for Mogilny
No for Naslund
Probably not for Zubov

The reason I think Zubov has at least an outside shot is that he's had the 2nd best NHL career of any Russian. Of the Soviet-born guys who go ahead of him in the ATD -- Kharlamov, Tretiak, Makarov, Fedorov, Mikhailov, Kasatonov, Bure, Petrov, Larionov -- only Fedorov has done more in North America. Fedorov is a stone-cold lock, so there's at least a chance the guy right behind him sneaks in as well.

The_Hockey_Guy18

Dec 27, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
My list of future Hall of Famers currently play in the NHL.

** Only putting players who have already played at least 10 seasons

Jagr
Shanahan
Brodeur
Lidstrom
Hasek
Fedorov
Sakic
Neidermayer
Pronger

I think Sundin should be on that list of sure-fire players. The guys numbers are just too good to pass up, as well, he's pretty much been Mr. Consistancy over the past decade. The only thing really holding him back would be the lack of a cup win, and even if he doesn't win the big one, I still believe he should be there. Just my opinion.

Also, I'm going to have to say no to the four mentioned above.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Chara - he is not even close yet.... I doubt he ever is even in the running... but say if next season and for 2 or 3 more seasons he wins the Norris or is a First team All-star he starts to make a case.... I am a Sens fan and I love Chara.. and his game... and the guy has a great character but I can't picture him making the Hall ever.

Mogilny.... close but no cigar. HHOF talent that comes a bit short with some inconsistent seasons and a few injuries. A joy to watch though.

Naslund.... I truly great player but only for what 3 or 4 seasons. Before and after that great run he has not been very good... not even close to Mogilny in his off years IMO. A no from me.

Zubov is a no for me.... but to add to the debate... Larry Murphy is a HHOFer and was considered something of a lock when he retired.... but like Zubov he was not the best D-Man ever in any season of his career nor was he really close... no Norris's... somewhat one dimensional. Basically Very Good for a long time but not ever that truly elite. Zubov is very similar and he has some great postseasons and a couple of Cups he played a big role in. I am not going to beat down the door for Zubov... but Murphy is in and IMO he is quite comparable... Zubov is still active... Murphy played a ton of games but if Zubov plays a few more seasons as a pretty good D-Man is he that far from the HHOF?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
The case for Zubov... Comes to North America 22 year old...burns up the AHL for half a year and then is an awesome rookie for the second half of his first North American season. Gets 89 points in his first full season and is a very important contributer to the Rangers Cup win that season... 19 points in 22 games. Over his next two seasons average exactly a PPG as a D-Man... impressive. Gets traded to Dallas and is a key D-Man... on a very good team that ends up winning a Cup. Never misses more than a handfull of games his entire career... gets more than 50 points a season on average through the dead puck era as a D-Man.

1038 games 754 points... when most of his career is in the deadpuck era.... who has outscored him or equaled his D scoring through his career? Lidstrom, maybe Gonchar, perhaps Pronger. I think he has outscored Niedermeyer when they were both playing. 153 playoff games 111 points. Zubov is only 37 years old right now and he has 22 points in 26 games this season. If he keeps putting up 50 point seasons or more for 2 or 3 more seasons... and keep finishing in the top 5 or 6 in Norris voting he does have a pretty good case. He may be an offencsive D-Man but he can play competent defence... he is not Ozolinch or something.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think Zubov can still earn a place in the HHOF. Because somehow, the Larry Murphy comparison will come out at some point, in regards to their achievements. And don't forget Zubov has probably 4 or 5 good years ahead of him. I wouldn't be surprised if he would pull a Chopper and win the Norris past 35.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think Zubov can still earn a place in the HHOF. Because somehow, the Larry Murphy comparison will come out at some point, in regards to their achievements. And don't forget Zubov has probably 4 or 5 good years ahead of him. I wouldn't be surprised if he would pull a Chopper and win the Norris past 35.
Murphy was an all-star three times (compared to one for Zubov). And he won back-to-back Cups with two different organizations. He was Pittsburgh's top defenceman in 1991 and 1992 (Coffey was injured for half of the 1991 playoffs) and he was the final piece, the steadying, experienced, veteran influence, for the Red Wings in 1997.

Murphy was efficient, productive, consistent, and very, very good in the playoffs.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Murphy was an all-star three times (compared to one for Zubov). And he won back-to-back Cups with two different organizations. He was Pittsburgh's top defenceman in 1991 and 1992 (Coffey was injured for half of the 1991 playoffs) and he was the final piece, the steadying, experienced, veteran influence, for the Red Wings in 1997.

Murphy was efficient, productive, consistent, and very, very good in the playoffs.

... And Zubov has 4 or 5 more years to play.
The comparison with Murphy is only relevant if Zubov plays ... well, like he does now, for the 4 or 5 next years.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Murphy was a very good player for a long time... by no means would I wish to diminish his accomplishments... and the important thing for Murphy is his longevity and continued very goodness. I don't think he should not have been inducted inton the HHOF... nor would I be upset if he was never inducted into the HHOF... there are better D-Men like JC Tremblay and Mark Howe that are not inducted. But Zubov... is consistent... is very, very good for a long time... he plays on winning teams and helps them to be winning teams. I am not saying Zubov should be a HHOFer... All I am saying is he is not that far off... and he possibly has 2 or 3 or 4 more good seasons left in him.

Zubov falls into the Gartner, Murphy, Ciccarelli and so on type of player. Really good for a very long time but never truly eilite. But there are a lot of those types in the HHOF. And Zubov is not near done with his career. To me Zubov is a not yet but maybe..... He is far, far closer than Chara IMO. Even if Cahra improves on his game. Unlike say Housley Zubov is not nearly as one dimensional... he has a lot of playoff success and Housley will I think some day be a HHOFer as much as I think he should not be.

I am by no means a Zubov fan... if he retired today I would not be on his band wagon.... but he is closer than a lot of people wish to believe he is.

And Zubov is far from done.

2006/07 Norris voting... Zubov 9th
2005/06 Norris voting... 3rd
2005/06 Defence All-star voting 3rd

Where will he be this year and next year?

Badger Bob

Why would Sundin and Modano be considered borderline? :dunno:

Sundin piled up well over 500+ goals and 1,200 points (those kind of numbers would generally be automatic, unless your name is Dino Ciccirelli), significant international achievements with Team Sweden and ace-in-the hole captain of the Maple Leafs for years (don't think for a second that this won't carry weight).

Modano? How could he not be certain? Similar career numbers to Sundin's with top American point-getter in his pocket. Developed solid two-way play. Stanley Cup. World Cup. Is there something missing from his resume'?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Why would Sundin and Modano be considered borderline? :dunno:

Sundin piled up well over 500+ goals and 1,200 points (those kind of numbers would generally be automatic, unless your name is Dino Ciccirelli), significant international achievements with Team Sweden and ace-in-the hole captain of the Maple Leafs for years (don't think for a second that this won't carry weight).

Modano? How could he not be certain? Similar career numbers to Sundin's with top American point-getter in his pocket. Developed solid two-way play. Stanley Cup. World Cup. Is there something missing from his resume'?

I don't think the HHOF have been made to induce those players. This said, I'd have a problem with not putting those guys in. There ain't many differences between Mike Modano and Ron Francis (haven't looked about their adjusted production, but it shouldn't be very far off) except for the fact Francis was a better playmaker than Modano. Two great characters, who brought class to the game of hockey. Modano being induced at the same time than Lindros would only make everybody question even more Lindros's acceptance if you consider the character issues -- one is as good as it can get, the other is as worse as it can get. Top-american point getter serves as a clincher.

How far Sundin is from being highest swedish point getter? The Cup argument hurts Sundin a lot... And chances are, he won't win any before calling it a career.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
None from the OP's list will make it, unless they manage to win something like Conn Smyhe in their last years.

Eric Lindros is a borderline case, but I think (and hope) he'll eventually make it, because of his dominating prime years. (Had Lindros won a cup he would be a sure lock, no matter how much he sucked after concussions.)

Badger Bob

I don't think the HHOF have been made to induce those players. This said, I'd have a problem with not putting those guys in. There ain't many differences between Mike Modano and Ron Francis (haven't looked about their adjusted production, but it shouldn't be very far off) except for the fact Francis was a better playmaker than Modano.

OTOH, Modano had a definite edge in skating ability.

How far Sundin is from being highest swedish point getter? The Cup argument hurts Sundin a lot... And chances are, he won't win any before calling it a career.

Certainly, leading the Leafs to the Cup would've put an exclamation point on his career, but it doesn't detract from his other accomplishments. It helps borderline candidates (Dick Duff, Clark Gillies) but the lack of it doesn't harm accomplished greats (Stan Mikita, Marcel Dionne). Sundin should have little difficulty getting in without much resistance or controversy. He's the only Swede to surpass 1,000 points.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Chara is nowhere near at this point. By comparison Blake probably wont make it and he has the cup ring, a couple dominant post-seasons, a Norris, and a few more post-season allstar selections.

Diving Pokecheck*

How about Luc Robitaille- 8 consecutive 40+ goal seasons, the all-time leader in LW scoring, 10th all-time in NHL goals.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
How about Luc Robitaille- 8 consecutive 40+ goal seasons, the all-time leader in LW scoring, 10th all-time in NHL goals.

There's no doubt Luc will make it in, although I've never been as high on him as most. For all the crap Pierre Turgeon gets, they're very similar players in my books.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

I think it's safe to say he'll be in. Being all-time leader at his position, no matter how weak was his position, makes him a shoo-in.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Chara is nowhere near at this point. By comparison Blake probably wont make it and he has the cup ring, a couple dominant post-seasons, a Norris, and a few more post-season allstar selections.

I dont have any doubt that Blake will be in there. One Cup, an Olympic Gold, one Norris and 4 post season all-star selections (one 1st team, 3 2nd team). He's a lock. Think back to his prime and how he was considered among the elite defensemen. Chara isnt there yet, although he may be. Blake though, he's in there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad