Seravalli: Potential for Tyler Myers to San Jose (for Kevin Labanc?)

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
The main reason would be to free up cap room for the season after, and gain a return renting out Myers at the deadline.
Myers + 3 does not equal Dvorak. Christ. Dvorak is slightly overpaid but he’s Montreals best faceoff guy and is defensively reliable. Myers is a $6m bottom pairing D. Taking him on not only eats valuable cap but blocks one of Montreals younger (better D) from playing. Someone like Kovacevic (who requires waivers).

Short of a 1st AND a 2nd coming back from Vancouver I can’t see any reasonable scenario for Montreal taking Myers

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Feels like this was already a bargain. Both Ed and CD are likely to fetch at least 2nd rounders at the deadline...
Value wise, it could very well be, from our side I'm a little hesitant to give up picks in multiple years (like we did this last year).

Is there a spot on your roster that needs a filler or is there a prospect type you're short on?

Edit: You nailed the value, bravo.

Last edited:
Reactions: pth2

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Curious as you’re a sharks fan. Both on expiring deals and Sharks take the higher cap hit here. Are you being sarcastic or do you just hate Labanc even more than Van hates Myers?
I've been waiting 6 years for Labanc to f*** off, I would trade him for anyone and anything. At least with Myers you get a goofy giant.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I've been waiting 6 years for Labanc to f*** off, I would trade him for anyone and anything. At least with Myers you get a goofy giant.

Same feeling with us and Myers

Everyone who plays with him struggles
Literally everyone

So if you have young guys, it essentially like rubbing their skate blades on concrete before a game.

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
Myers + 3 does not equal Dvorak. Christ. Dvorak is slightly overpaid but he’s Montreals best faceoff guy and is defensively reliable. Myers is a $6m bottom pairing D. Taking him on not only eats valuable cap but blocks one of Montreals younger (better D) from playing. Someone like Kovacevic (who requires waivers).

Short of a 1st AND a 2nd coming back from Vancouver I can’t see any reasonable scenario for Montreal taking Myers
you wouldn’t take just a 1st to take on a one year cap dump…lol. The deal expires next year. Anyways, he will remain a Canuck. Cest la vie

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
Same feeling with us and Myers

Everyone who plays with him struggles
Literally everyone

So if you have young guys, it essentially like rubbing their skate blades on concrete before a game.
Labanc is the same way. It's essentially like having a line with 2 forwards unless you put him with someone incredibly skilled and he doesn't fall to the ice trying to get into position to shoot, half the time missing anyway.

Not sure why this didn't happen. I know these two GM's haven't exactly shown to be the brightest so far but sometimes it'd be nice to do something for the fanbases :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: notsocommonsense

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Haha, love it. Exact same deal for us. Sadly, we prob need Myers on our bottom pair this year as it currently stands and we’re loaded on wing but I’d love that deal as a Van fan as much as you do for the Sharks

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Honestly Myers on the 3rd pair playing under 18 mins will be fine. He was really good the previous year, but went back to his "chaos" form this last season because he was way overused. With Soucy and Cole hopefully that keeps Myers down.

I'm really glad this deal didn't happen.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I'm sure this has been a game for months.

I'm sure the deal has been Myers for Labanc, whichever player noticeably impacts the outcome of a game for the positive also returns a 7th rounder....and both GM's have been waiting for that to happen ever since

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Honestly Myers on the 3rd pair playing under 18 mins will be fine. He was really good the previous year, but went back to his "chaos" form this last season because he was way overused. With Soucy and Cole hopefully that keeps Myers down.

Myers was a tale of 2 seasons last season, before Foote and Gonchar and after.

In general the whole team was better defensively after the change but Myers looked like a completely different player. Him and Quinn were the only guys that were on the NHLfor the last 20 odd roster and 5 of the 7 D were either from Abby or NCAA. Quinn averaged 28 minutes the last 25 games and Myers 22 and while Quinn finally tired out the last 7 games only getting 4 points (his worst stretch) he was real good defensively and it was noticed
But as per usual Myers got zero love but he was absolutely fantastic and full credit to Foote and Gonchar who were able to slow the game down for him and instead of icing, the puck, throwing it up the middle or passing it in the skates of his partner when under pressure, he kept it simple which cut down on turnovers which translated to not being hemmed in, giving up 2nd chances and taking stupid penalties.

But despite all of that and even if Myers is +15ý like he was in 2021-22 most of our fanbase will never give the guy any kind positive acknowledgement, despite being the 1st guy to beat the shit out of anyone who F's around with any of our stars. He's very very well liked by his mates.

I've had a soft spot for him ever since he rocked Keith and then beat the shit out of the oiler (forget who) who went after him right after. Seeing both oilers lying on the ice at the same time was hilarious.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Meh, would much rather get the pick for taking him.

Why so obsessed with moving Labanc? Hes a fine winger we can just ride out instead of getting negative value back for him

Reactions: Patty Ice

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
If Myers was making league minimum ( 700k ) is there a single playoff team that wouldn’t take him as their 6th dman?

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Seravalli—The VAN/SJ deal discussed was Tyler Myers for Kevin Labanc straight up

If there had been a way to deal one of the Canucks other ~4-6M wingers, and use the cap savings on a cheaper Myers replacement and a 3C, I would've been alright with it. But obviously there was little appetite to take on cap without sweeteners.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

Yes, this is the weird truth about Myers. If you don't play him much, or in demanding situations, he can play fine as a bottom pairing guy, which of course is a complete waste of 6 million dollars. The weird thing is, for a couple to six games a season, he'll play like a top pairing guy. Physical, clearing the net, breaking up plays, moving the puck smoothly, rubbing out players on the boards, covering for his partner, etc.

Then he gradually falls apart and returns to chaos. I think he's played like that on every team he's been part of, except for his Calder season where he seemed to maintain his better play much longer.

It's infuriating this player didn't end up being a stud.

I doubt he gets moved now, and the only way he get's moved later would be at the deadline if the Canucks are well out of the playoffs again. It seems highly unlikely then that he doesn't play out his contract with the Canucks. Un-be-lievable

Reactions: Grantham

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Tyler Myers getting a 5 Million dollar signing bonus this year is proof that many, if not most, NHL GM's are idiots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad