Seravalli: Potential for Tyler Myers to San Jose (for Kevin Labanc?)

Skallagrim

Sep 22, 2011
Bay area
As a Canucks fan living in the Bay Area, I try to attend at least a game every year when the Canucks visit. This year it's either a Thursday night (bad to bring kids along), or the Saturday after Thanksgiving (bleh...).

Wasn't sure if I could make it this year, but if Chaos Giraffe is traded to SJ, it's too much excitement to miss.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
I doubt he’d waive his nmc he lives in Kelowna and SJ is dumpster fire right now.

We’re probably stuck with him.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I wonder if there wouldn't be a market for Myers to Montreal once Edmundson is moved, for Dvorak, who seems to fill a need in Vancouver.

Myers+3d rounder for Dvorak?
I'd consider it straight up, but we've hemorrhaged picks already moving cap hits out.

What's the cost on Edmundson though? Or Savard. For that matter?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I doubt he’d waive his nmc he lives in Kelowna and SJ is dumpster fire right now.

We’re probably stuck with him.
He has a 10 team no trade list. We can find someone else to take him if needed. But dumping him isn't needed, at least not yet.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
I'm still laughing that this trade is even being discussed. Gives me 'nam flashbacks when the rumored Bieksa to SJ trade was supposed to go down years and years and years ago that thankfully never did. Hopefully this one is the same.

Reactions: Grinner

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I dont understand why the Canucks would trade Myers now.

1. His bonus isnt paid yet. Sharks would be on the hook in paying him like 5million in bonus. I believe its due in September. With that in mind, the Canucks would have to be adding a sweetner to get rid of Meyers now.

2. If they wait until the bonus is paid, in Sepetmber lets say, then the Sharks would only be on the hook for 1 million dollars. The sweenter in trading Myers goes way down at that point since its not going to cost the owner 5mil to obtain him.

3. Why doesnt the Canucks just wait until the trade deadline to move him. Myers is on an expiring contract. He is right shot, big, skates very well and plays physical. Those type of players are always in demand. If Luke Schenn can get a 3rd at the deadline then the Canucks can get that as well and maybe even a 2nd.

In my opinion this is what a Myers trade would like like.

Now- Myers and 3rd 2024 to Sj for futures ( Sj can flip him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder at TDL)
September- Myers and 6th 2024 to Sj fo for Futures ( Sj can flip him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder at TDL)
Trade Deadline- Canucks get a 2nd or 3rd rounder

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Is he a little overpaid? Yes
Do you overpay for RHD with size? Yes
Is he a legit NHL Defenseman? Yes

Myers can play second pairing with a better partner, he just can't carry the 2nd pairing.
Does he totally stink? Resounding yes

Wouldn't his NTC also be a potential issue?
Canucks should be willing to commit corporate fraud to surreptitiously remove that from his contract

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I'm still laughing that this trade is even being discussed. Gives me 'nam flashbacks when the rumored Bieksa to SJ trade was supposed to go down years and years and years ago that thankfully never did. Hopefully this one is the same.
That trade was when the Sharks were still good and would've made them worse, which we didn't want. This one is when the Sharks are bad and would make us worse, which we do want.

Jul 10, 2010
He would not be an EK replacement in ANY way.
he means EK replacement in terms of minutes. When the Sharks trade EK they dont want to put young guys into roles they cant handle. You take the cap dump, the assets along with it, and have Myers play 20+ a night and accept youre going to lose games

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
That trade was when the Sharks were still good and would've made them worse, which we didn't want. This one is when the Sharks are bad and would make us worse, which we do want.
Again, I do not believe this would be a dump move. Grier would be giving up assets, which we don't want.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Is he a little overpaid? Yes
Do you overpay for RHD with size? Yes
Is he a legit NHL Defenseman? Yes

Myers can play second pairing with a better partner, he just can't carry the 2nd pairing.
OEL carried him in his first year with Vancouver. Myers is a tire fire that is always the worst D man on his pairing...

Thank god his deal is up in a year with the likelyhood he will be gone at latest at the 2024 TDL, yet another horrible signing by the former GM...

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'd consider it straight up, but we've hemorrhaged picks already moving cap hits out.

What's the cost on Edmundson though? Or Savard. For that matter?
Edmundson is likely a 2nd at 50%. He'll fetch that at the deadline, though that forces a lot of kids to play lesser roles until then.

Savard would likely be expensive, since he's a rare RD who is a leader on D. He'll eventually fetch a first as a rental. Unlike Edmundson he isn't surplus to requirements.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
In my opinion this is what a Myers trade would like like.

Now- Myers and 3rd 2024 to Sj for futures ( Sj can flip him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder at TDL)
September- Myers and 6th 2024 to Sj fo for Futures ( Sj can flip him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder at TDL)
Trade Deadline- Canucks get a 2nd or 3rd rounder
after his bonus is paid he's an asset. artifical cap hit at low owed money
as hes rhd, big, and can skate some gm will get crazy and go above and beyond a 2nd at tdl

Reactions: THE Green Man

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
after his bonus is paid he's an asset. artifical cap hit at low owed money
as hes rhd, big, and can skate some gm will get crazy and go above and beyond a 2nd at tdl

Exactly why i dont see why Canucks should trade Myers now.

Any smart, non playoff team should be lining up to trade for Myers now or September.

-Get a sweetener from Canucks
-Flip Tyler Myers at Trade Deadline.

This isnt our first rodeo, we all know what someone like Tyler Myers can fetch at the trade deadline. Big Dmen are the cream of the crop come March. It shouldnt come as asurprise to anyone if Myers gets a 2nd or even a conditional 1st at the TDL. Far worse Dmen have obtained such.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad