Speculation: Potential deadline deals?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Backes is supposed to be the modern version of Sutter. Don't get me wrong, I watched Brian Sutter play his whole career and that's the most heart and soul Blue I ever saw.

Sutter can replace Backes and Unger can replace Oshie's golden locks for the ladies.

I want to see a meaner Backes. Maybe he needs to take a little break from saving the dogs.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
It's a shame Sutter went out the way he did. Guy is an instant jersey retire, then actually manages the team pretty well until he decides he can't stand Cliff Ronning because he's not a Sutter prototype player. So he's the driving force behind the trade of that whole line in the worst trade I've ever seen with one of my teams, and ultimately departs the team on bitter terms. Real shame.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I am in the minority but I actually liked Turgeon better then Weight. We let Pierre walk because we traded for Weight.

The funny part is that you might not be in the minority there. I hated to see Corson get traded, but I loved me some Turgeon. The OT goal in Game 7 against PHX in '99. 'Nuff said.

Him and Demitra are up there. Would love those 2 on this roster.

Would love to see Demitra on ANY roster right now. :(

Turgeon is exactly what this team needs, by the way. The only missing skater piece.

Oh, absolutely.
Not to start another debate (especially with YOU :)), but I always thought Turgeon's play reminded me of a certain "Center-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named" playing in Colorado right now, even if their stat lines don't quite match up. Turgeon was 27 when the Blues acquired him, and the other guy will be 27 this summer (though Turgeon jumped into the league at 18 and had played over 200 more games at the time). One last bit of irony: the two players were linemates briefly during the former's final season and the latter's rookie season: http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_4801389

A center much of his 19-season NHL career, Turgeon played left wing Thursday night on a line with center P--l S-----y and right wing Marek Svatos.

All in all, it was a fun deadline day - of all the moves, I'm still absolutely shocked that someone took Steve Mason (and more specifically, Steve Mason's contract) off the Blues Jackets' hands, and for a 3rd round pick, no less...

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
For some reason I was under the impression everyone hated Turgeon. Maybe it's just Canadian fans for the not joining in on the brawl thing. Oates was better but outside of Oates he was the best center I got to watch with the Blues. Scott Young was a 40 goal scorer with him.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I grew up with Turgeon as our best forward. Loved the guy. Still remember his stat line of 30-52-82 like the back of my hand. Him and Demetra were so great for this franchise.

He is -exactly- the piece we need right now.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The funny part is that you might not be in the minority there. I hated to see Corson get traded, but I loved me some Turgeon. The OT goal in Game 7 against PHX in '99. 'Nuff said.

Would love to see Demitra on ANY roster right now. :(

Oh, absolutely.
Not to start another debate (especially with YOU :)), but I always thought Turgeon's play reminded me of a certain "Center-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named" playing in Colorado right now, even if their stat lines don't quite match up. Turgeon was 27 when the Blues acquired him, and the other guy will be 27 this summer (though Turgeon jumped into the league at 18 and had played over 200 more games at the time). One last bit of irony: the two players were linemates briefly during the former's final season and the latter's rookie season: http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_4801389

All in all, it was a fun deadline day - of all the moves, I'm still absolutely shocked that someone took Steve Mason (and more specifically, Steve Mason's contract) off the Blues Jackets' hands, and for a 3rd round pick, no less...

Noted. Next time I watch Stastny I'll keep Turgeon in mind and see what I think.

That Phoenix game brings back some great memories. I don't think I've ever felt more tense watching a game. (I never saw the double OT with Detroit, I listened to it on the shortwave radio in my tent in Mississippi.) Watched it with my younger brother and younger sister and her husband, all of us huge fans. They were experienced smokers of that which is legal in Colorado now (I was the straight arrow achiever) and they kept insisting I take hits because I was so nervous watching that game. After the explosive joy and celebration when Turgeon scored deep into the night, with all that tension released I could suddenly feel the effects. Let's just say that later on it wasn't my best night at the Maplewood Steak N Shake.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
For some reason I was under the impression everyone hated Turgeon. Maybe it's just Canadian fans for the not joining in on the brawl thing. Oates was better but outside of Oates he was the best center I got to watch with the Blues. Scott Young was a 40 goal scorer with him.

I definitely think many Canadians held a grudge against him for sitting out the brawl. He was also a #1 overall pick who was perceived, rightly or wrongly, to not be as good as he should have been. Like, he wasn't Crosby-type dominant as a #1 overall so there was that edge of underappreciation, but he was incredibly good.

When he was here there were lots of fans who said he and Demitra disappeared in the playoffs. Demitra didn't always have great postseasons, but he never was a black hole, and I never got the Turgeon playoff criticism at all. For some reason he was never as beloved as concurrent stars Hull, MacInnis and Pronger by local fans. Never talked about much, either. I think a lot of young fans don't appreciate how great this guy was for us. Loved Turgeon.

Blueshockey21

Jan 12, 2010
I definitely think many Canadians held a grudge against him for sitting out the brawl. He was also a #1 overall pick who was perceived, rightly or wrongly, to not be as good as he should have been. Like, he wasn't Crosby-type dominant as a #1 overall so there was that edge of underappreciation, but he was incredibly good.

When he was here there were lots of fans who said he and Demitra disappeared in the playoffs. Demitra didn't always have great postseasons, but he never was a black hole, and I never got the Turgeon playoff criticism at all. For some reason he was never as beloved as concurrent stars Hull, MacInnis and Pronger by local fans. Never talked about much, either. I think a lot of young fans don't appreciate how great this guy was for us. Loved Turgeon.
Definitely loved Turgeon and the number 77, wish he would have never left to Colorado.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad