Postponed Games Thread

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The problem isn't what the teams are doing, the problem is the amount of Covid circulating in the communities the teams are playing in.
Only so much a team & players can do.

1) How many players have children that are physically going to school. that's a risk right there, though infection rates among children have been very low
2) Players need and should be using as many online/contactless services as possible. No need for the player/family to go into the grocery store for example.
3) Have to avoid other people as best you can. Not much else you can do.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yeah, making fun of the American teams for getting infected when they live in a country where there are so high numbers doesn't impress me much. The Canadians isn't exactly doing this so fantastic themselves, even if they have been lucky with regards to their NHL-teams - so far.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Is the league under pressure to finish the season in a particular amount of time if Olympics happen to get cancelled?

They want to normalize things so next season can start on time, but I guess if the Summer Olympics goes down the drain, this would be a small advantage?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Why doesn't the league reschedule games if 2 teams are sick. In the case of the East you have had Buffalo and NJ sitting out for a couple weeks, just get the teams playing those teams to play eachother

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Why doesn't the league reschedule games if 2 teams are sick. In the case of the East you have had Buffalo and NJ sitting out for a couple weeks, just get the teams playing those teams to play eachother

Arizona and St. Louis has done this, but the teams had to take the initiative, from what I understood.

Reactions: boredmale

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Arizona and St. Louis has done this, but the teams had to take the initiative, from what I understood.

I think it was last week but Islander had 2 games vs the Sabres while Philly had 2 vs the Devils the same week. It would have made sense if both just decided to play 2 games that week(or even just 1). Islanders had like 5 days off

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Tokyo isn't being delayed. it is scheduled to run.... since when is hockey a Summer sport

It isn't. The league feels pressure to finish its playoffs before the Olympics start, rather than trying to compete for viewers. The poster you quoted is asking if the NHL would still feel pressure to finish on time if the Olympics are canceled.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It isn't. The league feels pressure to finish its playoffs before the Olympics start, rather than trying to compete for viewers. The poster you quoted is asking if the NHL would still feel pressure to finish on time if the Olympics are canceled.
disagree, the premise that Tokyo is canceled isn't on the agenda, unless you're willing to pay NBC what it would cost them to broadcast them which is way more than what the NHL is paying them and then the dissolution/shutdown of NBCSN

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
disagree, the premise that Tokyo is canceled isn't on the agenda, unless you're willing to pay NBC what it would cost them to broadcast them which is way more than what the NHL is paying them and then the dissolution/shutdown of NBCSN

...what?

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
No games should be postponed. You play with the players you do have available, or forfeit. If neither team shows up, then mark the game as a loss for both.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
the premise that Tokyo is cancelled doesn't exist.... the Olympics are happening in 2021, it has nothing to do with the NHL

I know this is NHL, not Olympics thread, but the notion that Tokyo Olympics are 100% to run in 2021, given the circumstances, is absurd. One can argue about the odds and mechanism of how they will potentially pull that off, but it's far from guaranteed.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
Poolparty off Covid list already. I guess that means it was a false positive or something??

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No games should be postponed. You play with the players you do have available, or forfeit. If neither team shows up, then mark the game as a loss for both.
It's not the number of players available to a team. It's whether the virus has potentially spread amongst the team which makes them potentially infectious to their opposition. So, the NHL doesn't want to risk an outbreak for another team.

5minutemajor

Mar 23, 2018
It's not the number of players available to a team. It's whether the virus has potentially spread amongst the team which makes them potentially infectious to their opposition. So, the NHL doesn't want to risk an outbreak for another team.

If a player is available, he is available.

If a player is not available, he is not available.

Players were allowed to opt out of the season.

Teams can always forfeit if they want.

Game on!

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Poolparty off Covid list already. I guess that means it was a false positive or something??

Just because a player goes on the Covid protocol list doesn't mean they tested positive. If a player comes into close contact with somebody who is positive they have to go onto the list, but if they continue to test negative they would be able to come off the list quicker than somebody who actually tested positive.

Nik Ehlers for the Jets came to the rink feeling sick earlier this season and was put on the protocol list, but he tested negative and was back off the list less than 48 hours later.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This is such a colossally bad idea that I have to ask if you’re making a joke

So you have 2 teams who don't play games for 5 days due to 2 other teams quarantined, you saying they couldn't at least fit in 1 game against eachother? That way it frees up some dates on the calendar that you may be able to fit the make up games

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
So you have 2 teams who don't play games for 5 days due to 2 other teams quarantined, you saying they couldn't at least fit in 1 game against eachother? That way it frees up some dates on the calendar that you may be able to fit the make up games
Because the whole purpose is to isolate the positives and eliminate new transmissions. By playing games, you would extend each team’s quarantine period and almost certainly infect heretofore healthy individuals

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Because the whole purpose is to isolate the positives and eliminate new transmissions. By playing games, you would extend each team’s quarantine period and almost certainly infect heretofore healthy individuals

Let me make this clear. Buffalo and NJ were quarantined thus leaving their opponents without games to play for 5 days. Couldn't they have gotten their opponents(ie not NJ or Buffalo) to play eachother 1-2 times then strike off a couple dates on the calendar opening up space for make up games against Buffalo and/or NJ sometime later

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad