Rumor: Post-season Rumour Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Not true in the slightest. Really think they’d sign Duchene and then just start playing Byron on the 4th line? Someone will go.

Then next season, Weise, Mason’s buyout, Peca, Thompson, Deslauriers are all gone. That’s $7m of dead weight.

Habs are in a great position.

Ive also always thought that, If we DO sign a UFA forward, another one definitely gets traded, i think there is no doubt about that as well

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Dude get a grip. He was 3 points shy of PPG. That's better than Domi. Is Domi mediocre? Duchene is actually more complete than Domi, better defensively.

You realize Domi is 4 yrs younger, right?

& This was Duchene's best production so far, largely inflated by the 1.16ppg he put up for the basement dwelling Sens, a team in disarray were players were playing to pad stats vs play a team game/follow the coaching staff's direction

Duchene at 10M+ is a bad signing, for us, because he doesn't address any major needs (beyond net talent upgrade) & is a strong risk to return to the .7ppg level he's more consistently been at in his career.

Easy pass.

(& I'd quite readily bet that Domi will be the better player over the next 7 seasons, offensively and defensively... Two completely different athletes when it comes to work ethic & determination)

Reactions: Habs Icing

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
While I agree Duchene is a bit more versatile than Domi, I really don't think Duchene's better defensively.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What’s the point of comparing Domi and Duchene when the idea is to play them on the same line. Be happy they are both on the team.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Serious question, why are you guys arguing whos better between Duchene and Domi, we dont need to CHOOSE, we can have both. Its not a trade, its a UFA signing.

Both are great. Both have strengths that the other doesnt. Both can be paid, and play together too.

Pittsburgh had Crosby, why keep Malkin? Chicago has Toews, why keep Sharp. LA had Kopitar,, why keep Carter? Caps had Backstrom, why keep Kuznetsov? St Louis had Schenn, why trade for OReilly?

PS. See what they all have in common. For the slow folks, last few Stanley Cup Winners. You dont win the cup with only 1 good center.

Flip your stats, salary implications, bla bla. Duchene , along with a D upgrade, puts us in a good spot to contend.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't know that Perry would consider us, but if I'm MB I'm definitely giving him a serious 1-2yr heavily bonus-ladden offer.

IF he has recovered enough to be even 70% as effective as he was before the knee issues derailed him, he's a perfect fit.
You heard something about the rule changes that the rest of us haven't? Are they really permitting players to use rocket boosters on their skates?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Serious question, why are you guys arguing whos better between Duchene and Domi, we dont need to CHOOSE, we can have both. Its not a trade, its a UFA signing.

Both are great. Both have strengths that the other doesnt. Both can be paid, and play together too.

Pittsburgh had Crosby, why keep Malkin? Chicago has Toews, why keep Sharp. LA had Kopitar,, why keep Carter? Caps had Backstrom, why keep Kuznetsov? St Louis had Schenn, why trade for OReilly?

PS. See what they all have in common. For the slow folks, last few Stanley Cup Winners. You dont win the cup with only 1 good center.

Flip your stats, salary implications, bla bla. Duchene , along with a D upgrade, puts us in a good spot to contend.

Yep, for a lot of people this year's playoff shows that a team need size in order to win.
For me it showed exactly the same thing as every year year : Win the middle, win the game.

Reactions: Price4Prez

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Dude get a grip. He was 3 points shy of PPG. That's better than Domi. Is Domi mediocre? Duchene is actually more complete than Domi, better defensively.
I'll reply because I was directly quoted.

Duchene is mediocre for a first line center. I don't see how anyone could disagree with that. And 10 mil is a huge premium on a guy who's averaged 62 points per season over his career. 29th in points for centers this year and 22nd in ppg.

And no, I don't think he's much of an upgrade on Domi if at all. Good chance Domi does better than Duchene next season. Admittedly Domi is less proven and there'd be more risk. But he's also younger and there's way more upside with him. Domi will almost certainly be the better player over the next eight years and he's going to want a raise too.

Last edited:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'll reply because I was directly quoted.

Duchene is mediocre for a first line center. I don't see how anyone could disagree with that. And 10 mil is a huge premium on a guy who's averaged 62 points per season over his career.

And no, I don't think he's much of an upgrade on Domi if at all. Good chance Domi does better than Duchene next season. Admittedly Domi is less proven and there'd be more risk. But he's also younger and there's way more upside with him. Domi will almost certainly be the better player over the next eight years and he's going to want a raise too.
You've been anti-Duchene for years! I remember arguing with you about him when he was still in Colorado!

Give it a rest! The guy is a good player!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You've been anti-Duchene for years! I remember arguing with you about him when he was still in Colorado!
I'm not anti-Duchene at all. He's just a guy better suited to the 2nd line and he wants superstar money.

He's a solid player and I'd never say otherwise.

The reason I don't want to sign him is not because I think he's a bad player, it's because he wants way more money than he's worth and he plays at a position where we don't really need the help. I get wanting to upgrade on Domi (that's fine) but Duchene isn't much of an upgrade at all. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. A great winger would make our existing centers that much better. So would a big blueliner. That would help us a lot more.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I'm not anti-Duchene at all. He's just a guy better suited to the 2nd line and he wants superstar money.

The reason I don't want to sign him is not because I think he's a bad player, it's because he wants way more money than he's worth and he plays at a position where we don't really need the help. I get wanting to upgrade on Domi (that's fine) but Duchene isn't much of an upgrade at all. I'd rather spend the money elsewhere. A great winger would make our existing centers that much better. So would a big blueliner. That would help us a lot more.

You can try and find excuses but today Duchene would be the best forward on this team!

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Maybe, but his opinion is biased!

Not really....look at his post. It makes perfect hockey sense.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

Give it a rest! The guy is a good player!
He’s instantly plays in our top line whether he’s a centre or a winger. We need talent and it seems some posters don’t understand this
The cap is fluid. It can alway be moved. People need to relax thinking Habs will get screwed with a 10 m cap hit

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You can try and find excuses but today Duchene would be the best forward on this team!
First, that speaks more to the inability of our GM to bring in star players than anything.

Secondly, if Duchene were the best forward on this team it would be by a very small margin.

Third, he'd be the highest paid forward by a very large margin...

There are about 30 centers who are better than Duchene is and Domi might be one of them. He's a low value first line center. He reminds me of Koivu in that he'd be a fantastic 2nd line guy but miscast as a first. And he wants 10 mil...
I'm not gonna go dig discussions we had but I remember you never respected this guy, you never thought he was somewhat a first center and so on...
It was never a question of not respecting him. He's just not a ten million dollar player and I don't think we should tie ourselves to him at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad