Rumor: Post-season Rumour Talk Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I agree.
It might just be the new reality and we're not used to it.

I don't think Hayes is worth 7M or that Skinner is a 9M player either…..for me Duchene should be paid around 8.5M at best but things seems change every year and contract goes higher. Hey, Wilson is being paid 5.16M.
It's not the new reality for smarter teams though. There are always outliers like the Bobby Holik contract or the Scott Gomez contract. Teams that make dumb moves like this will always be out there. But smarter teams know better.

Boston tied up it's homegrown talent for far less. They are getting big bang for the buck and that's why they were in the finals this year.

If mediocre players want big paydays, let them walk. You shouldn't overpay for these kinds of players. Erik Karlsson is a totally different story... he's a true superstar. THAT you can pony up for.

But if you're ponying up ten mil for Duchene you're putting yourself at a real disadvantage and you're also throwing your own salary structure out of whack.

And... we don't need help at that position. Our D meanwhile is a total mess.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
It's not the new reality for smarter teams though.

Boston tied up it's homegrown talent for far less. They are getting big bang for the buck and that's why they were in the finals this year.

If mediocre players want big paydays, let them walk. You shouldn't overpay for these kinds of players. Erik Karlsson is a totally different story... he's a true superstar. THAT you can pony up for.

But if you're ponying up ten mil for Duchene you're putting yourself at a real disadvantage and you're also throwing your own salary structure out of whack.

And... we don't need help at that position. Our D meanwhile is a total mess.

We just need on piece on d because Weber petry Juulsen on the right side is fantastic

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Technically speaking, Domi did not outproduce him.
Domi posted 72 points in 82 games for a 0.86 point per game
Duchene got 70 points in 73 games for a 0.96 point per game

He produced more points than Duchene, so technically speaking, he outproduced him.

Duchene had the higher yield, however, with more points per game.

Reactions: stanley25

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He produced more points than Duchene, so technically speaking, he outproduced him.

If you factor in points per dollar though, what would it look like next year? Even if Duchene puts up more PPG by a little, it's not close to the same value.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I don't know about Corey Perry seriously.

At this point in his career, he's not a top-6 player. Or just barely if he has a good season. But it's too bad that this team is loaded with bottom-6 players, because in our situations, being underweight, having a hard time scoring those dirty goals on the power play, he would be a pretty darn good addition on a 3rd line with, say, Drouin and Kotkaniemi. Of course this is not a line you play against the opposing team's top-line (you keep that for Tatar-Danault-Gallagher).

If you ask me, I'd take a flier on him for 1 year around 3, 3.5M, and I would trade Byron. Gives you both size, answers a need, adds leadership, and adds cap flexibility next year as well.

Not going to happen. But if there's a reclamation project I wouldn't mind, it's that one. Low risk, fairly high reward. Under the right circumstances this guy can still pot 20.

Reactions: the and Habsfan2992

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Technically he did actually. He produced two more points.

If you want to factor in per game performance that's cool. But you could also factor in salary per point as well. Depends on how you look at things.

I'm not looking at paying less for points , i'm looking to build a contender as fast as possible while Price and Weber still has gaz in the tank…..and if possible without touching at our best prospects. That's really hard to add top asset while not giving one away.

But like i said before, i'm not entirely sold on the idea.

But if there's one idea i'm entirely against is staying the course, do nothing and still dump a bunch of money for "meh" players (Which MB already did) and sitting on dead cap space for another year and waiting for magic beans to maybe fix thing 3 years from now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm not looking at paying less for points , i'm looking to build a contender as fast as possible while Price and Weber still has gaz in the tank…..and if possible without touching at our best prospects. That's really hard to add top asset while not giving one away.

But like i said before, i'm not entirely sold on the idea.

But if there's one idea i'm entirely against is staying the course, do nothing and still dump a bunch of money for "meh" players (Which MB already did) and sitting on dead cap space for another year and waiting for magic beans to maybe fix thing 3 years from now.
If we get Duchene it won't be the worst signing/deal we've ever made. At least (unlike Gomez) he'll produce some goals scored. I just think there are other areas we could beef up instead and I think this creates some problems that aren't there. I also have more faith in our centers than others do and think getting better wingers/D help us more. Finally, I simply don't think he's worth the money and hope that we'd go the trade route.

Anyways, I've beaten this one to death. We'll see what happens I guess...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
If we get Duchene it won't be the worst signing/deal we've ever made. At least (unlike Gomez) he'll produce some goals scored. I just think there are other areas we could beef up instead and I think this creates some problems that aren't there. I also have more faith in our centers than others do and think getting better wingers/D help us more. Finally, I simply don't think he's worth the money and hope that we'd go the trade route.

What can we beef up without giving up assets? That’s the advantage of a UFA - the only asset to give up is cap space.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Tell me about it…..i Don't even believe he really wants to come here to begin with.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'd really rather not give Duchene 10M. That seems prettty crazy, the cap is only 82M. I'd much rather work on the defense and win games that way than way overpay for a 2C.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Some may think this is crazy but I would rather overpay for Jake Gardiner than Matt Duchene.

Gardiner fills a much more pressing need on this team (LD, drives offence from the back end, power play) than Duchene does.

Gardiner gets a bad rap for some bad playoff games in Toronto but overall, the guy has played excellent hockey for Toronto over the past 4 seasons.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Some may think this is crazy but I would rather overpay for Jake Gardiner than Matt Duchene.

Gardiner fills a much more pressing need on this team (LD, drives offence from the back end, power play) than Duchene does.

Gardiner gets a bad rap for some bad playoff games in Toronto but overall, the guy has played excellent hockey for Toronto over the past 4 seasons.

I think he will turn out better than expected outside of Toronto, and he does fill a huge hole that MB has failed to fill for several years now, but he's still a big risk. We can't afford another Alzner-type dead weight contract if he doesn't work out.

I feel his issues are mostly confidence related but Montreal is just about the worst place a guy with confidence issues can go. Our coaching/management is not exactly the kind to help rebuild confidence... The coach is way too old school and stubborn and the GM is constantly on the prowl for guys to throw under the bus for his failures.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

They had virtually an identical yield. Duchene's P/60 was 3.05, Domi's was 3.03.

In addition, Domi had a higher shots per 60, similarly inflated shooting percentage (Domi - 13.79% this year and 8.7% the previous 3 years +5.09 vs. Duchene - 18.02 and 13.64% the previous 3 years +4.43%), but with Domi's probably being more sustainable given league averages and age.

I'd stay pretty far away from Duchene given what he's likely to cost and what he actually does well.

If you want to spend money, aggressively attack the RFA market.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Dreger mentioned on TSN690 Thursday that if the Colorado Avalanche draft Bowen Byram, it's likely that they try and move defenseman Tyson Barrie.
Barrie has one year remaining on his contract which carries a cap hit of $5.5million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->