Post-Draft emptiness.. am i the only one?

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
my picks:

25-Hartman or S. Theodore
34-Fucale
36-Bailey or Petan or Dauphin or Hagg
55-M.-O. Roy
71-Arvidsson
86-Subban
116 and + : I don't give a F…

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
I felt the same a little empty at first but looking at it now I am very pleased, we had the skill in our system now we have the size and grit. McCarron had the potential to be something special ive been looking at this kid or months. JDLR is a phenomenal pick he will be a solid top 9 NHL with great two-way game and a good leader. Fucale I was against picking at 25 but at 36 I'm okay with taking a chance on him. The rest of the guys are good quality picks that add to our prospect pool. All the habs are really missing to be serious contenders in the future is a big bruising Dman (god morin would have been perfect!!!)

Laboeuf

Apr 14, 2013
Michael McCarron
From what I heard MB tried to move up to take Samuel Morin. Rumor has it we offered #25, # 34 and #55 for #10 but Dallas wanted to get their guy Valeri Nichushkin. Timmins didn't want to lose a chance on drafted McCarron even though he was rank 2nd round. At 6'6" 237lbs, alot of teams will drool over this. Can he play? Given time he could, needs to work on skating. He protects the puck well and plays a power game. You won't see him go end to end, much like Milan Lucic, expect McCarron to get garbage goals around the net and grind. Potential: 10-20 goals and 40 points a season.

Jacob De la Rose
Watching a few clips on youtube, this guy looks like a very smooth skater. He needs to work on his hands. Looks like his a 2-way player can play powerplay and penalty kill meaning he's got hockey sense. I heard he was captain of the national team so he's got leadership. Like McCarron, he's a working progress but Timmins is confident he'll be an NHL regular. Potential 2nd-3rd liner, 10-20 goals and 40 points per season.

Zachary Fucale
I think this kid has potential to be a franchise goalie. He doesn't get recognition because he's playing with McKinnon and Drouin. But as good as those forwards are you still need someone to make the difficult saves. Fucale went under radar. I saw a few Halifax games and he reminds me of Cam Ward/Cory Crawford.

------------------------

Some people wanted Valentin Zykov, I think he's a one trick pony, one dimensional player much like Alex Semin. We took some chances on a few talented player but that didn't work out.

Jordan Subban, aside from the name, do you think he's got a shot at making the NHL? 5'8" 170lbs, the game has gotten bigger and you see teams with power win the Cup, do you think Jordan can push bigger players? I think Timmins did the right thing, bringing Jordan to Montreal would complicate things with PK as if Jordan's not with the club PK might be upset, look what happened to Kostitsyns.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I've come to terms that MG has zero balls to improve this team on draft day. He has assets he could have moved to go much higher in the draft, but he has this 'vision', one that apparently involves moving safely....

I've heard the rumours that he had this 'deal' in place to go up in the draft, but it didn't happen.... so jokes on us again. A top notch G.M makes deals happen, if it is a deal they really want. They take a chance. I'm really trying hard to like MB, but it's awfully hard to at this point.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I've come to terms that MG has zero balls to improve this team on draft day. He has assets he could have moved to go much higher in the draft, but he has this 'vision', one that apparently involves moving safely....

I've heard the rumours that he had this 'deal' in place to go up in the draft, but it didn't happen.... so jokes on us again. A top notch G.M makes deals happen, if it is a deal they really want. They take a chance. I'm really trying hard to like MB, but it's awfully hard to at this point.

You are purposely trying to find reasons to be unhappy with the sports organization you follow. That isn't healthy.

dreamingofdrouin*

it's not his fault man....he did have the balls to do it....he said the price was high but they were still willing to pay it...it just turned out that their trading partner decided to keep it because their player was still there.....i've now heard it was vanouver to get horvat, dallas to get morin and philly to get morin....i don't know what to believe when it comes to that, but i do believe bergevin when he says he was willing to pay the price to get something done....o well.....i was in a really bad mood for awhile about this, but im starting to warm up to a few of these picks....mostly fucale...i think thats gonna be a huge huge asset to have and it is the opinions of alot of fans including flyers and leafs over on the main board that we really nailed this one...so i'll definitely be the first to admit that i may be, and probabley am wrong for being upset with this crop......just really got too attached to different guys and wanted to see them in the habs jersey....i like to get canadians and we selected alot of non-canadians...that was probabley what bugged me the most...but as long as we get vinny:sarcasm:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'll just be happy if one of McCarron, De La Rose of Crisp play in the nhl consistently.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Not true, I just want the best for this team.

And a 6"6 240 pound guy who can crash and bang but also contribute offensively isn't good for this this team? From the rumours that came out the deal was something around 25, 34 and another pick I forgot... That's JDLR and McCarron I'm very happy with both those picks and although I'd have loved Horvat or Morin I wouldn't have paid that price

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Michael McCarron
From what I heard MB tried to move up to take Samuel Morin. Rumor has it we offered #25, # 34 and #55 for #10 but Dallas wanted to get their guy Valeri Nichushkin. Timmins didn't want to lose a chance on drafted McCarron even though he was rank 2nd round. At 6'6" 237lbs, alot of teams will drool over this. Can he play? Given time he could, needs to work on skating. He protects the puck well and plays a power game. You won't see him go end to end, much like Milan Lucic, expect McCarron to get garbage goals around the net and grind. Potential: 10-20 goals and 40 points a season.
If rumor is true: Do you prefer McCarron, JDLR and Fucale, or Morin/Horvat?

Also, it just hit me Habs didn't draft a single D.

Lionel Mandrake

Don't have a problem with most of this year's picks outside of Crisp and maybe De La Rose, but only because Zykov was still available. De La Rose seems like a safer pick but also with less potential. I see him becoming a good prototypical 3rd line checker but would be shocked if he did better. Not bad for a 2nd pick but Zykov to me has more potential.

Love the Fucale pick, that's the highlight of the draft for me.

And although I'm thrilled about what McCarron is all about, I can't help but remember the last time we were over-preoccupied with needs and drafted a certain David Fischer. So hopefully Timmins sees serious potential past that mammoth frame of his. A guy with his size being picked so late when all 30 teams are after this kind of player raises a few red flags, although I did like his game at the U18.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I don't understand why people are so upset about De La Rose, he's a complete player and looks to be a glue guy. Should be great for the Habs and a player type we don't have.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I don't understand why people are so upset about De La Rose, he's a complete player and looks to be a glue guy. Should be great for the Habs and a player type we don't have.

hes definetly a sure-fire nhler, dont think anyone can dispute that. i guess the reason why this draft feels so weird to me is because we drafted based off of needs and not skill, thats a completely different philosophy than how TT usually drafts. at the end of the day im fine with our picks and ill give the benefit of the doubt to TT and MB(who i feel had a big role in yesterdays picks) but i wont lie.. passing up on a potential top 6 scorer in zykov kinda hurts. i can live with the other picks

I wouldn't have minded:

25- Hartman
34- McCarron
36- Fucale
55- Lehkonen
71- Kujawinski/Hayden
86- Bjorkstrand
116- Fasching
176- Gregoire
*I only went with guys who were available and not picked before these selections.

We'll see what happens with guys like Andrighetto, Crisp and Reway. Who knows? They perhaps pan out, develop into NHL'ers and shut us all up.

pretty sure mccaron was gonna get picked before 34 if we targeted him at 25

Last edited:

HabsGER

Dec 31, 2011
Coblenz, Germany
Sure, this year's draft hasn't been THAT good for us as last year, but it was merely possible to top last year...

I'm quite fine with our picks. McCarron seemed a bit odd to me, but he addresses our need of size. Would've loved Rychel or Erne, but sadly they were gone, so de la Rose was a really solid pick...not to mention the no-brainer by the name Fucale and the late 2nd steal named Lehkonen.

I'd give it a B, maybe B- so comfort all those who are saddened to their bones.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I actually really liked this draft. It fills up and really diversifies our prospect pool. In last years draft we took mostly skilled guys like Galchenyuk, Collberg, Hudon, Bozon, as well as already having guys like Kristo and Gallagher (who also plays with grit). This draft, it was easy to see that we were looking into size, grit, and tenacity with McCarron, De Le Rose, Gregoire, and Crisp, while still picking up on some skill to. This shows that MB has a definitive plan on building this team. You can't draft high risk skilled guys every time, because a winning team is not made up of all skilled guys. He is building this team through the draft, and it is easy to see that he is stockpiling all different types of parts for a future championship team. Really trusting Bergevin and his vision.

Matteus

May 11, 2009
hes definetly a sure-fire nhler, dont think anyone can dispute that...

I haven't seen him play other than the usual webcasts everyone has seen.

He seems to be Lars 2.0 (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Do you see any differences in style or ceiling between Lars and DLR ?

Thanks !

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I was a little surprised by TT's picks only because I read too many posts in our draft thread and didn't realize that Grant had a better grasp on the Habs direction than any of the other posters. No surprise there. So I felt like I was thrown a curve by the picks. then I realized TT & Grant are pros and the people posting in draft thread are just fans.

Getting over my surprise I think the Habs did well but we still have to wait 3-4 years to see how these prospects pan out.

McCarron has the skill and the size to play in the slot and ON THE BOARDS. We have no one, absolutely no one, with that skill set. Not even Bourque is all that proficient on the boards.

Jacob de la Rose: Everything I've seen and read tells me at worst he can be a poor man Zetterburg and at best he can replace his countryman. Again, that's a skill set we don't have in our system

Fucale. Button claims he's the best 16-17 year old goalie he has ever seen. Let's hope Zach can turn that into one of the best NHL goalies Button or we have seen. I love this kid's attitude. Looks to me like the pressure in Montreal is gonna be water on a duck's back. It won't bother him one bit.

Those three look like they have an excellent chance of making it to the show. Maybe not reaching their potential but none of the other players in draft at our position were sure fire guarantees.

Lehkonen, Andrighetto & Reway read like clones of each other. Small skillful speedy playmakers who can also score. The management team figures at worst one of the three has a good chance of making it to the NHL.

So that could be 4 who graduate to the NHL.

Crisp reads like a Prust sort of player and I'm all for trying to go out and gamble on getting one of those players every draft. Add to that this kid is Terry Crisp's nephew and I see potential. Where are all
the posters who wanted Jordan because of bloodlines?

Gregoire sounds like a cross between Dumont, Leblanc & Bournival. A good gamble.

I think worse case scenario we got 4 players that can make it to the big show and bring skill sets that we didn't have in our prospect pool. May explain why lots of posters on the main board picked the Habs along with two or three other teams as the winners.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00