Post-Draft emptiness.. am i the only one?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Last year spoiled us....drafting third pretty well can get who you want every round.

ummmmmm.....no

We had far more picks at better positions this season than last. The only advantage from last season was the 1st pick......that is it

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
It's been an AWESOME day for me and everybody that was at my draft party. Habs now have a complete prospect pool with 0 weaknesses. From this day going on forward we simply add on. We could use another center or winger with high-end talent, but drafting (stealing) Lehkonen in the 2nd round saved face in that regard.

Not sure if serious... A complete prospect pool? Really?

dreamingofdrouin*

i don't fault bergevin and company....they really really tried to get morin....and they were going to draft subban....could have looked alot better. i would have atleast liked to draft more canadians than we did but o well. my highest hopes are for fucale and the habs goaltender/asset he will be in a few years and connor crisp...the next lucic:sarcasm: but i am actually intrigued by this guy. time will tell.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
This board has a ton of people who love ANYTHING the habs do. They could sign a useless player and they will find the good in it, 'it was depth'. I've gone through the reports, seen some of them play, spoken to other knowledgeable people in hockey. This draft was a C+ at best. Nothing to be excited about at all. The biggest thing about this draft is a LOT of teams got good quality picks. Every single draft, we are going to select new and young prospects. But, if you take our draft and compare it to the prospects most other teams got, it was a complete fail, horrible actually.

Totally agree with your first assertion. 100% spot on.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
This draft tells me that Bergevin gets it . Biggest needs , goaltending and size/strength the focus. People get caught up in the tsn and csb rankings they don't mean anything . Timmins is the head of the drafting machine Bergevin clearly the neck turning the head in the right direction.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
i don't fault bergevin and company....they really really tried to get morin....and they were going to draft subban....could have looked alot better. i would have atleast liked to draft more canadians than we did but o well. my highest hopes are for fucale and the habs goaltender/asset he will be in a few years and connor crisp...the next lucic:sarcasm: but i am actually intrigued by this guy. time will tell.

There is absolutely no evidence that they were going after Morin or going to draft Subban. It is ridiculous speculation like this that gets repeated enough on these boards that it eventually becomes a mythical truism for years to come.

People need to realize that almost all reporters, journalists, bloggers etc that share their respective opinions are just nerds with no connections whatsoever.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Not sure if serious... A complete prospect pool? Really?

Alright Nancy, you go ahead and tell me what are the Habs missing in their prospect pool? Is it size? Offensive D's? defensive D's? Franchise forward? How about goalie prospects?

We cover every aspect of a winning team now, and obvisously trades/UFA will take care of the rest.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
This board has a ton of people who love ANYTHING the habs do. They could sign a useless player and they will find the good in it, 'it was depth'. I've gone through the reports, seen some of them play, spoken to other knowledgeable people in hockey. This draft was a C+ at best. Nothing to be excited about at all. The biggest thing about this draft is a LOT of teams got good quality picks. Every single draft, we are going to select new and young prospects. But, if you take our draft and compare it to the prospects most other teams got, it was a complete fail, horrible actually.

And this board has a ton of people who hate ANYTHING the Habs do. I swear if we signed Crosby in free agency one year some people would just ***** about how injury prone he is.

None of us know how this draft will turn out for sure but right now there are a lot of knowledgeable hockey people who are saying that the Habs had a really good draft.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Fucale alone ensures that it's not a bad draft. It may not have been our best draft but it's far from horrible. Hell, Craig Button was freaking out over us getting Fucale. C'mon man, it's not that bad at all...

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Fucale alone ensures that it's not a bad draft. It may not have been our best draft but it's far from horrible. Hell, Craig Button was freaking out over us getting Fucale. C'mon man, it's not that bad at all...

We had a good draft but Button is a certified idiot........who cares what he thinks. There is a reason this clown can't get hired by an NHL team anymore.

DDIHH

Oct 28, 2005
I'm puzzled by Crisp and I liked Hayden, Subban and Duclaire a lot... but TT knows is **** a lot more than me :)

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
everyone is praising us on the main board but it feels like we missed out on so many good players.. am i wrong to say that these picks would have close to perfection for us?

according to who was available:

25. McCarron (most debatable pick for me but we do need size, ready to gamble on him given our needs and who was left on the board)
34. Zykov
36. Fucale
55. Carrier (Lehkonen was also a good pick but hes high risk -- had a few concussions and hes small, not a very good combination)
71. Buchnevich (or Hayden, unsure here. went with Buchnevich due to his upside)
86. Bjorkstrand
116. Subban (theoretically went at 115 but i would have traded my 7th just to move up 1 spot for him, no ****s given)
176. Gregoire

feel free to post your picks if you disagree
draft summary: http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftsearch.htm?year=2013&team=&position=&round=

Don't misunderstand my rebuttal here, but who are you? Are you a scout or someone who follows all these players? Have you seen any of these kids live? Talked to their coaches? Watched all their film?

Or are you somebody who just reads what other people have to say about someone?

As for me, I'm excited to see Habs addressing NEEDS and am hopeful we selected the right guys for the job. Like someone said, Boston can't win with 12 Bergeron's skating out there. They need the Lucics, Hortons, and Thortons too.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Liked the McCarron, Fucale and Crisp picks. De La Rose was meh for me. Zykov would have been a better option imo.

dreamingofdrouin*

There is absolutely no evidence that they were going after Morin or going to draft Subban. It is ridiculous speculation like this that gets repeated enough on these boards that it eventually becomes a mythical truism for years to come.

People need to realize that almost all reporters, journalists, bloggers etc that share their respective opinions are just nerds with no connections whatsoever.

there;s a ton of eveidence...how have you not seen it yet...bergevin hinmself said he was trying to move up and that the price was high but he was willing to pay...but then the team decided to keep the pick....it was philly....he was talking for 10 minutes with holmgren before the draft....they wanted morin simple as that

and he was going to pick subban with his 116th...go back and watch his post draft interview and you'll see.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Solid draft, reminds me of 2007. Montreal went after needs instead of BPA. I've watched a lot of McCarron to know I liked his potential and enough of guys like Rychel to be happy they went elsewhere. McCarron has a cocky side to him that's going to mesh really well with Subban when he makes the team. De la Rose is a jack of all trades and will make the NHL because of that. Lehkonen should have been a top 30 but wasn't due to concussions. Fucale has starter potential. Gregiore is grit with skill to back it up. Don't know enough about Reway and Andrighetto. We probably could have got Connor Crisp with that seventh round pick we traded away so that's the only one I'm meh on but I know a bit about him, mainly that he's very much like Doug Glatt from Goon. Kind of guy the locker room glues with.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
They wanted Horvat.. Not morin. Man lies spread fast Here. Read the tweets after Vancouver picked.

They definitely wanted Horvat. Don't blame them, that's who I wanted also.

As an aside, can anyone explain to me why we all wanted Jordan Subban so badly? Aside from being P.K.'s brother, is there really any tangible reason why we wanted him?

disturbedraven

Lets rock
Apr 11, 2005
Peterborough
www.fhockey.com
They definitely wanted Horvat. Don't blame them, that's who I wanted also.

As an aside, can anyone explain to me why we all wanted Jordan Subban so badly? Aside from being P.K.'s brother, is there really any tangible reason why we wanted him?

Probably pedigree, seeing how good of an athlete PK is and how good Malcolm also may be.
That bloodline has a lot of talent, worth a shot in the lower round despite the lack of size.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Andy Murray on TSN 690 atm praising McCarron. That's also gotta say something since Andy Murray isn't a complete idiot. This guy has seen him play and knows what he can do. That's gotta count for something.

He's the coach of Western Michigan. He wants him to play there.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I think this was a pretty decent draft, I'd give it a B+.
Not sure why some people are complaining about the picks, I thought we did pretty well.

McCarron - addresses a need if size up front, and man did we getva whole lot of size with him (6'5".5 237) and still growing! He's a low-risk, high-reward pick, because at the least, he'll be a valuable 3rd liner who plays physical, fights, causes headaches in front of the net, intimidates the other team, and keeps them playing honest. However, his top potential is that of a top 6 power forward, in the Lucic mold, who still does everything physically, but chips in more offense.

De La Rose - ok, maybe I'm going out on a limb, but does anyone else think that he could be a bigger version of Henrik Zetterberg? Given that they both have excellent two-way games, and can also contribute offensively. He also reminds me of Jordan Staal, due to the physical element he brings to the table. Again, at worst, he'll be a two-way 3rd liner, but he has the potential to be a lot more.

Fucale - Button said Fucale is an elite, franchise goalie in the making. I know some people don't trust Button, but I watched him play this year and he reminds me a lot of our own Carey Price. Fucale plays with composure, and gas the mental toughness to bounce back from a bad goal or a bad game. He doesn't seem tl get rattled or frustrated in the net, and plays calmly. Sounds a lot like the way Price plays.

Lehkonen - Small, but skilled, has lots of talent.

The Crisp pick was a bit puzzling, but if he doesn't pan out as a forward, he can always play goalie :sarcasm:

Andhrighetto had a great year in the Q, he's small (5'9") but already 188 lbs. Maybe the second coming of Cammalleri?

I don't really know much about Reway or Gregoire.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Timmins didn't go with the sexy picks, but overall I'm happy with our draft. My only complaint is getting so many wingers.

Habs Fan 13

Jan 16, 2007
116. Subban (theoretically went at 115 but i would have traded my 7th just to move up 1 spot for him, no ****s given)
Pretty easy to say after everything is over and done. Who knew before it happened that the Canucks would take Subban only one spot ahead of the Habs? If anything, and if you like Subban that much, you could be upset that the Habs didn't take him in the 3rd round with their pick, but being upset about the fact they didn't predict the future and didn't trade up one spot in the 4th round is a bit ridiculous if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad