Post-Draft breeze shooting: How do you grade the draft?

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Well folks, here's our haul for the year.

Simon Edvinsson - D
Some guy not named Wallstedt - G
Shai Buium - D
Carter Mazur - W
Red Savage - C/W
Liam Dower-Nilsson - C/W
Some guy whose name is too close to Cholowski - D
Pasquale Zito - W

How do you think we did?
Last year our prospect pool was ranked top 5 by many publications after the 2020 draft. Do you think we still belong there? Or have other organizations stolen enough good prospects to move us out of that spot?

We also moved a lot of picks to move up and grab guys. Necessary or not? What would you have done?

giphy-downsized.gif
Ask in 10 years.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He pretty much admitted to it during the presser too. That some of these picks he went with cause he new them personally or were local.

is there something to be said about having first hand knowledge on a kid? I’m not saying they’re good picks or who I wanted, but wondering aloud if having a deeper knowledge of a person counts for something?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I feel like I like picks in the teens more than the top 10. In the top 10 a lot of safe second pair/second line guys go (not saying this is Edvinsson) while in the teens people take swings for guys with elite properties but some slight flaws (Cossa, Caufield, Sillinger, Aho). Obviously statistically they're not as good but I think they're more, fun is maybe the word?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
First off I do not fancy myself as being a draft aficionado. I gave up a long time ago at trying to predict who the Red Wings had on their draft board and I simply don't have the time to commit tens if not hundreds of hours every year for something where there is literally no return or benefit. It's simply not a great use of my time.

I like to focus on track records. Yzerman has a great track record, as does Hakan Andersson. So when our drafts are heavy on Euros I feel good about the draft because the guys making the decisions have a track record. I have no real way to gauge our North American scouts since we drafted so few NA players in the first two drafts in spots where they would be closer to contributing.

This year we mainly drafted NA players. So I have no way to gauge how this draft went. We will know in a few years but if I had to give it a grade I would go B due to Edvinsson, who is a Euro and addresses a need and Cossa who at least addresses a need. So at least we addressed two key areas. So for me this draft gets a B until we have some time to see how the guys we drafted develop. This is a big draft for our NA scouts.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I like our first round. Our biggest positions of need are C, LD, and G. We addressed 2/3 of those needs. There was never really an option to address C in the first round. Next year :)

I won't pretend to have any opinion on the rest of the draft, if professional scouts can barely scout beyond the top 30 picks, nothing I say matters lol

Reactions: njx9 and Ricelund

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I think it was a pretty good draft. Liked the first three. Don’t know much about Mazur, Plandowski or Zito but we will see. Some late round choices I had were Montgomery, Petrov, Harding, Kaleb Lawrence and Connor Kurtz. Some never got drafted

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
How do you guys know for sure who made all these picks? Actual question.

Also why or how are you guys so sure of your own picks especially when we get to rounds 4 and beyond. Are there even clips of guys late in draft?

Not defending our drafting, just find it odd how many act like they know all 200± eligible players.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
A but obvious we will need to wait and see. The fact that our prospect pool is solid in every position now except center is awesome. I love the aggressivness (probably not a word) of trading up to get who he wants.

Just need a Shane Wright next year to plug the final hole.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman answered a lot of questions the past 48 hours, from acquiring calder trophy finalist; NED. Selected a towering LHD with offensive upside. Landed another big LHD stud with offense upside. Landed another franchise goalie who could be our bigger, more athletic version of 'Vasilevskiy' in 3 years.

He also snagged up a few centers and wingers for good measure. One of which Hakan was "pounding the table" for and is a "big fan of."

These past few days were pivotal for our rebuild and long term future of the franchise. Yzerman is proving he isn't building a one-and-done playoff team, but a perennial contender/dynasty.

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
Taking a project at 6OA when we haven't had the luxury of a top 3 pick is not good. Can't be wasting the highest picks we can get on someone like that. Should have went for Brandt Clarke if defense was priority.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
A bunch of websites have all the NHL drafts in history.
Here's the 2021 draft:
2021 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Yeah, but I am talking about knowledge beforehand. At best you just have what others have said about most of the later kids. People on here act like they know the pros and cons of every player we take or don't take.

To me this was a typical Red Wings draft with lots of picks of guys I have never heard of. Only heard the names of 3 or 4 of our picks and then a bunch of who's.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Yeah, but I am talking about knowledge beforehand. At best you just have what others have said about most of the later kids. People on here act like they know the pros and cons of every player we take or don't take.

To me this was a typical Red Wings draft with lots of picks of guys I have never heard of. Only heard the names of 3 or 4 of our picks and then a bunch of who's.

You know what the HF in HFboards stands for?
The whole premise of this site was a place for hockey nerds to talk about prospects.
I don't watch many junior games, but I buy the guides and watch the scouting videos and I like to spitball. That's sports talk. It happens in all the major team sports.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Taking a project at 6OA when we haven't had the luxury of a top 3 pick is not good. Can't be wasting the highest picks we can get on someone like that. Should have went for Brandt Clarke if defense was priority.
Thank you, exactly. Hearing “needs a lot of work” and “project” and “raw” are not things you want to hear for a top pick. If he was taken at 10+ I’d be okay. But not at 6 with Eklund on the board.

Reactions: Nemesis Prime

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Overall I’d say it was OK or solid draft. The first 2 picks will determine it ultimately.

My main concerns would be I don’t think we walked out of this with any forwards with considerable upside (I know nothing about Mazur), and I am not sure about going Cossa over Wallstedt.

I would have liked to see us add Pinelli after the D/goalie 1st round, or even someone like Martino, Robertsson, Koivunen, etc.

I see why they went Edvinsson/Cossa, and I have time for Buium, but I don’t really get what they were going for after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You know what the HF in HFboards stands for?
The whole premise of this site was a place for hockey nerds to talk about prospects.

And how does that give any more info from a draft that even the pro scouts knew less about?

Reactions: Jon Cusack

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
First round A

Second round: D- : dissappointed. Wings could have had raty, stankoven (both potential centres to boot esp. Raty) or even both with some creativity but instead went with some players ive never heard of minus Red Savage.

Base most of my opinions off of draft geeks like scouching and im hope im wrong in saying all of this.

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
C -

we “reached” on a lot of people whose primary role doesn’t include scoring, a trait needed to win in, and one in which we finished dead last and 27th the last two years.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
very difficult to add very highly ranked (both ranked by many top scouts at 2nd best their positions) big bodied athletic players , ecspecially dmen with 1st pairing upside . plus a big athletic goalie with sparkling numbers over a multi year time span . these two guys made thee entire draft , everything else is of way less importance . these are our shots at allstars that haul in hardware . plus they were perfect fits at positions we needed to attempt filling . DRAFT GRADE : A . could have been an A+ if i knew more about shy boom

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad