Post-Draft breeze shooting: How do you grade the draft?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I watch Scouchung videos just to get added context, but I really don’t trust any conclusions that he arrives to

Pretty convenient, considering your position :sarcasm:

I'm excited to watch the kid develop. I hope his issues, whether they are decision-making, IQ, panic threshold, or something else, are cleaned up. But until they are, he's still pretty high risk for me. Certainly not my favorite top-10 pick, but he's who we've got now, so goooooooo Simon!

Reactions: Realgud

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I think Detroit had a fantastic draft. I am not sure I would have taken Cossa over Wallstedt. But either way, adding Edvinsson and Cossa alone makes this draft a B+ at minimum. Add some of the latter round picks and I think it's a clear A-. Just don't like the Buium pick that much. They could have had Pinelli, Stankoven or Broz at that pick. And any of those IMO, would have been a better choice. Especially for a team that could use a high ceiling center prospect. Even Chibrikov with that round 2 pick I think would have been better.

But all said and done, I would say it's still an A- grade for the Wings. If Edvinsson wasn't such a high risk/high reward, I would probably say a straight A.

Way more than I can say for my Rangers.

Reactions: BSHH and ChadS

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
getting to that draft took an eternity plus 1 million hours spent by the members of this forum scouting prospects on line . its one good thing about

having a bad team = the draft becomes super interesting and draft nite becomes a holiday . all the whining about blash not tanking hard enough

and bettmans lame lottery . the haggling about drafting walstedt at 6 or not . all the broken hearts of eklund fans . having to watch prospect vids without yannick st pierre posting anymore :damnpc: . but in the end getting a cornerstone 6'4'' flying stallion dman and yzerman trading up going

after whom he obviously feels is a franchise goaltender made it a great draft , two players in top 15 is huge...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
getting a cornerstone 6'4'' flying stallion dman

xSG868d.png

griffs

Sep 17, 2012
Grand Rapids, Mi
Edvinsson would not have been my choice but I understand the pick. If we pans out a Seider/Edvinsson top D pairing would be really scary for opponents and even at worst case Edvinsson should be a useable NHL piece. I really liked Cossa so not issues there.

I think the trade up was absolutely unnecessary for Buium and would have preferred one of the many other options at this point. Development team has lots of work to do with this one.

The 3rd round pick of Mazur was the pick I liked the least. I do not hate the player but I think he was way overvalued by Wings and that similar players could be obtained for much cheaper draft capital.

Savage & Nillson picks were home runs. However, it is tough to get too excited as the chances of either reaching the NHL is small.

Not sure on Plandowski but seems like an okay choice.

Pasquale Zito is exactly the type of pick they should have made in the late rounds of this draft. It is a swing at the fences for someone the drafting community had limited information on because of the season off. If he hits the draft class all of the sudden looks much better and if he does not there really isn't anything lost because of the low cost to acquire.

Final Grade B.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think we got two future NHL players in the first round, and two good ones at that. So, I'm shutting out what happened after the first round and hoping it works out for them (whatever happened).

Edvinsson was my first choice, but I somewhat factor in need: If Clarke had been an LHD, it would be different. Similarly, if Eklund was projected as a center, then I think he would have more value.

That said, I was simply 'leaning' Edvinsson, and now that I know Andersson and Kronwall decided the question for me, I feel a lot better about him.

Our Cossa pick is a best case scenario for our second pick. I did not necessarily like him better than Wallstedt, but adding one of those two goalies with our second pick, I think, creates a bigger impact than drafting anyone else who was still on the board at that point. I was imagining that we would draft Edvinsson and then Wallstedt and Cossa would be drafted before our second pick.I didn't think we would trade down to 15th; it's not even a scenario we talked about here. I remember talking about trading back from 6th to 10th, but not from 22 to 15th. Anyway, I'm all for it, we got those extra picks so we could do these kinds of things and I think it was necessary.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I didn’t realize Plandowski was rated as high as he was. He’s number 64 in the hockey news magazine rankings. Nice pick that late

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
As someone without knowlegde, I have to rely on other people's prospect evaluations. Of course, Yzerman has beaten these lists and rankings before, but this is not the question of this thread. I do trust him, but still do not like this draft.

Most rankings had Eklund ahead of Edvinsson and many Guenther as well. Where are all the top 6-wingers that would make drafting these players unnecessary? I see the talented prospects Raymond and Berggren, but I also see Zadina struggling and Bertuzzi having a problematic injury. On the other hand, the very same Zadina was once highly touted coming into "his" draft.

Since goaltenders need longer to develop and seem to be less predictable with regard to their performance, I prefer to fill this position by UFAs or via trade. But the Red Wings traded up for Cossa, who was almost unanimously ranked behing Wallstedt.

Then they traded up for Buium, but did not trade down for Mazur. The following picks might be steals, but these prospects mostly are projected to be bottom 6/4-material at best. Veterans for these positions usually cannot command high salaries, so I miss the upside of saving a lot of money.

Noone should draft for need and I do not expect it from Yzerman, but it would have been nice to have some hope that these positions of need could be filled from within. The biggest need for Detroit is a 1C, which simply was not available according to all the evaluations. But the Red Wings had so many picks and will not even get any player who could become a very good 3C to increase the center depth.

Most will probably agree that the Red Wings ventured pretty much. I don't like what could be gained equally much (although a top D usually commands a bit more money than a top LW/RW). There may not be (m)any glaring mistakes, but is that the goal of having a draft with multiple picks in the early rounds? Therefore my grade is a D+ and hopefully I will be an utter fool for having written this - will y'all mock me during all the Stanley Cup celebrations, please?

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: lilidk

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Draft grades are kinda dumb at this point so I'm not going to give one but I'll give some thoughts.

People seem way too down on Edvinsson to me on here. Hes been consistently a top 2/3 rated prospect on McKenzies lists all year. Those to me have consistently been the best rankings year to year, taken like gospel to most and now a few bloggers dont like him and people are using that to say they dont like him. The wings got another big work horse that seems to fit perfectly with what Seider does and the defense looks set assuming some of these guys pan out. Elite skating, 6'4 dmen dont grow on trees.

I was staunchly against a goalie at 6, but similar to the Vasilevski pick in Tampa, when you have a second first rounder you can afford to take a swing. Using a draft pick from this year on Ned and then this pick on Cossa basically went from no goalies in the system to having a great outlook with 2 potential studs under the age of 25.

Boom is whatever. He went around where he was ranked, hes another big, mobile dman. Its a position of strength in the prospect pool now but he went around where he was supposed to and is the type of player Yzerman built around in Tampa, not surprising.

Mazur seemed high, but hes on team USAs radar for the world juniors as a third rounder. I dont buy for a second this BS that hes buddies with Draper so he got picked. Hes gritty with skill, honestly kinda reminds me of Brayden Point scouting reports at draft time. Savage seems like another guy who has been a big USA guy so getting him where they did was solid. And the next Frolunda kid seems like a har working gritty guy too. Dont be surprised if out of that group of 3 players, they end up with an NHLer thats helpful come playoff time based on how they play the game.

The late picks who cares. I saw someone say its insane that Zito went over Bryce Montgomery... who cares, were talking about guys who missed 2 years of hockey and have like a combined 20 points in junior. The one thing I'll say about Zito is that the style of game he plays, he might be the type who benefits the most from time off to hit the gym. I like having a loose cannon like him in the system, and if he actually put on 20 lbs of muscle, he could be very effective at his style of game next season

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bad photoshop of Pegasus
Bad photoshop is always funny, but MS Paint now has an autocrop feature so I'm gonna fix this for you when I have time at home.

Edvinsson was my first choice, but I somewhat factor in need: If Clarke had been an LHD, it would be different.
If Clarke was left handed his skating would still suck. If I had any faith that the Wings could fix his skating, he would've been my choice regardless of the fact hat he's right handed. If the Wings can't fix Raz or improve Zadina's skating then they shouldn't be picking a kid with a major skating flaw.

Just don't like the Buium pick that much.
Rezmierski is one of the best defensive scouts in the league. I'm inclined to trust his judgement on this one, though I think it was a reach as well. If Buium pans out, then the other available prospects don't matter at all.

I didn’t realize Plandowski was rated as high as he was. He’s number 64 in the hockey news magazine rankings. Nice pick that late
Maybe Stevie's trying to lure his parents (wishful thinking):
- Dad is head scout for Arizona, worked for Stevie in TB.
- Mom is a power skating coach that has helped out McIsaac and Ethan Phillips.
The team could use better NA scouting and a power skating coach.

He's supposed to be a really good skater. Funny how his dad didn't do the nepotism thing.... though I could see him packaged in a trade to Arizona in the future.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I like the commitment to drafting the largest need. Wings still had gaping holes at D and zero goalie prospects. Yzerman spent our strongest draft capitol to fix that. Yeah its not the sexiest way to draft and D and G can sometimes be the biggest busts in the first round but it was the right thing to do at this point in the rebuild.

I think Yzerman is waiting to see if we get some lottery luck and we can draft a franchise center at top 3. Just my personal oppinion.

I am concerned that Draper and Osgood had a say in the Cossa pick. It seems to me that Wallstedt was the consensus highest celing and I put my trust in Yzerman if they think Cossa is better but I am starting to doubt Draper's value in the scouting department so I am in wait and see mode on if Cossa over Wallstedt is going to work out. Hoping it does of course.

I feel like Carter Mazur was a waste of a 3rd round pick. Not going to make or break the organization but I would have liked to draft someone with a higher celing here. Mazur could have waited for later rounds. And going back to the round 7 nepotism pick last season I am just not liking this direction at all. The scouting department needs some tuning IMO.

I gotta give it an "A" for those first two picks being what the organizastion needed. High scoring wingers are always on the trade market so I am really pleased to see D and G over wingers in the first round.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Bad photoshop is always funny, but MS Paint now has an autocrop feature so I'm gonna fix this for you when I have time at home.

If Clarke was left handed his skating would still suck. If I had any faith that the Wings could fix his skating, he would've been my choice regardless of the fact hat he's right handed. If the Wings can't fix Raz or improve Zadina's skating then they shouldn't be picking a kid with a major skating flaw.

Rezmierski is one of the best defensive scouts in the league. I'm inclined to trust his judgement on this one, though I think it was a reach as well. If Buium pans out, then the other available prospects don't matter at all.

Maybe Stevie's trying to lure his parents (wishful thinking):
- Dad is head scout for Arizona, worked for Stevie in TB.
- Mom is a power skating coach that has helped out McIsaac and Ethan Phillips.
The team could use better NA scouting and a power skating coach.

He's supposed to be a really good skater. Funny how his dad didn't do the nepotism thing.... though I could see him packaged in a trade to Arizona in the future.

It's not that I don't think Buium could turn out to be a very good Dman, I just don't think it was a good idea taking him in that spot with players that the Wings theoretically need far more still available. Like a high ceiling center prospect. Or at least a D with a higher offensive ceiling, but not necessarily one that lacks on defense. So yea I think he was definitely a reach. But I think the worst part is passing up on other players that were still available. And when high skill guys fall in drafts, like all 3 of Stankoven, Pinelli and Broz did, even Raty whom I like less than the other 3, They often become absolute steals. And Detroit still could use a high ceiling center today now just as much as before the draft. And it's not like they couldn't use a couple more top winger prospects, to add to Berggren and Raymond, like Chibrikov.

Unless people are still that confident that one or both of Rasmussen or Veleno are going to be clear cut top 6 centers. I mean, I think there is a good chance Veleno still could be. But I think both might end up more 3rd liner, borderline 2nd line guys. Which could still be fine. But the 3 centers that I mentioned that fell, could easily jump ahead of either Veleno or Rasmussen in development.

Could Buium have lasted until the 3rd? I'm not sure, but I am inclined to think it's not out of the question. At least more so than the players I mentioned above. But more importantly, could a player LIKE Buium have still been gotten in rounds 3-4 or whatever? And I think the answer to that is yes.

Reactions: BSHH

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
i see some people iffy on Edvinsson pick.

just imagine a pair of Seider and him and tell me that doesnt give you tingles.

I think that as a community we've all come around to liking the Edvinsson pick even if we (I) wanted Eklund or McTavish before him.

I still think our draft would have looked better if we went with Robertsson or Olsson in the 3rd, stuck with Savage and Dower-Nilsson in the 4th and 5th, that guy whose name is close to Cholowski and Mazur Laser in the 6th. I'm going to see some Denver games this year so I'm biting my tongue on Buium until then.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's not that I don't think Buium could turn out to be a very good Dman, I just don't think it was a good idea taking him in that spot with players that the Wings theoretically need far more still available. Like a high ceiling center prospect. Or at least a D with a higher offensive ceiling, but not necessarily one that lacks on defense. So yea I think he was definitely a reach. But I think the worst part is passing up on other players that were still available. And when high skill guys fall in drafts, like all 3 of Stankoven, Pinelli and Broz did, even Raty whom I like less than the other 3, They often become absolute steals. And Detroit still could use a high ceiling center today now just as much as before the draft. And it's not like they couldn't use a couple more top winger prospects, to add to Berggren and Raymond, like Chibrikov.

Unless people are still that confident that one or both of Rasmussen or Veleno are going to be clear cut top 6 centers. I mean, I think there is a good chance Veleno still could be. But I think both might end up more 3rd liner, borderline 2nd line guys. Which could still be fine. But the 3 centers that I mentioned that fell, could easily jump ahead of either Veleno or Rasmussen in development.

Could Buium have lasted until the 3rd? I'm not sure, but I am inclined to think it's not out of the question. At least more so than the players I mentioned above. But more importantly, could a player LIKE Buium have still been gotten in rounds 3-4 or whatever? And I think the answer to that is yes.
I agree with you. I think both Mazur and Buium would have been available later in the draft, I don't like that they traded up to reach. Seems like such a FOMO move. Using that traded pick(#128) for Mazur and taking Buium in the third (#70) would have made this draft look a lot better.

Seems like this scouting team just gets locked into a player with their 2nd round pick and takes them regardless of projections. That's worked in the past (Bertuzzi) and failed in the past (G. Smith in the same draft). We can't change it, so I'm just hoping for the best.

I dunno about Buium, but I'll bet Red Savage plays more NHL games than Mazur. Of course they could both flop, chances of anyone past the 2nd round making the NHL are low.

Reactions: brakeyawself

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
I agree with you. I think both Mazur and Buium would have been available later in the draft, I don't like that they traded up to reach. Seems like such a FOMO move. Using that traded pick(#128) for Mazur and taking Buium in the third (#70) would have made this draft look a lot better.

Seems like this scouting team just gets locked into a player with their 2nd round pick and takes them regardless of projections. That's worked in the past (Bertuzzi) and failed in the past (G. Smith in the same draft). We can't change it, so I'm just hoping for the best.

I dunno about Buium, but I'll bet Red Savage plays more NHL games than Mazur. Of course they could both flop, chances of anyone past the 2nd round making the NHL are low.

Yea. I think that's just part of the scouting game. For every "hit" a scout/GM makes, there's probably like 10 "misses". Even the best scouts/GMs. That's how, on average, like 1/4-1/2 of first rounders bust or become fringe NHLers. Which means every scout/GM that had them ranked in the 1st round, and every pundit and fan, got it wrong.

I do worry some scouts/GMs don't pay as much attention to other scouts/GMs though. And perhaps those particular scouts/GMs end up taking guys, more often, ahead of where they probably should go. But I think paying attention to the opinions of other scouts and pundits is something a good scout should do. Pay attention to the opinions of his peers, weigh them against your own opinion, and keep an eye on pundit/amateur rankings and so on. And if 20 scouts/GMs I respect are telling me I am wrong about a guy, I have to factor that in to my decision.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
I think that as a community we've all come around to liking the Edvinsson pick even if we (I) wanted Eklund or McTavish before him.

I still think our draft would have looked better if we went with Robertsson or Olsson in the 3rd, stuck with Savage and Dower-Nilsson in the 4th and 5th, that guy whose name is close to Cholowski and Mazur Laser in the 6th. I'm going to see some Denver games this year so I'm biting my tongue on Buium until then.
yea i mean, i personally didnt do any research this year.. i cant agree or disagree on that last part.

i love the idea of Eds with Seider.
I like the idea of Cossa, i liked his interviews post draft, like the arrogance as long as he backs it up. he seems to have a little personality. ive personally seen the wings room as needing some personality. hopefully we can get some in there. IMO.

Of the little i scouted, i would have liked a 'why not, lets do it' pick of Aatu Raty or Chibrikov instead of Buium. Dont think we need this many defensive prospects but who knows.

based on some picks, they took guys they were comfortable with IMO. guys they knew probably from prior year scouting trips.

you gotta hit on atleast 2 here.. even if its only the first 2, im ok with it.

as they say - in stevie i trust.

Reactions: brakeyawself

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Round 1 - A
Rounds 2-3 - C
Rounds 4-7 - B

Overall B+ ish

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
i see some people iffy on Edvinsson pick.

just imagine a pair of Seider and him and tell me that doesnt give you tingles.

I like the idea of separating them-except on the PK.
40 percent of the 5 on 5 time with Seider.
40 percent with with Edvinsson.
70 percent of the PK time with both.
All of the last 2 minutes with both.

Spread that wealth a bit.

I would have liked to go get Raty or Pinelli, a C, with the 2nd round pick.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I feel like it's almost a virtual guarantee that Buium would not have been available at 70. Ranked #33 by Hockey Prospect, 61 by EliteProspects, 54 by Future Considerations, 49 by Bob McKenzie's sample, 49 by McKeen's, 32 by Craig Button, 40 by Pronman. There are a few sources that had him ranked after 70, like Wheeler, but so many sources had him as a mid 2nd round pick.

You're talking about a kid that the Wings liked so much that they traded up 2 slots to ensure they got him in the early 2nd round, and instead you want them to not trade, pass on him at 38 and just assume he's going to be available at 70.....that's poke and hope hockey in the drafting world if I've ever seen it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad