Post-Draft breeze shooting: How do you grade the draft?

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
It's not that I don't think Buium could turn out to be a very good Dman, I just don't think it was a good idea taking him in that spot with players that the Wings theoretically need far more still available. Like a high ceiling center prospect. Or at least a D with a higher offensive ceiling, but not necessarily one that lacks on defense. So yea I think he was definitely a reach. But I think the worst part is passing up on other players that were still available. And when high skill guys fall in drafts, like all 3 of Stankoven, Pinelli and Broz did, even Raty whom I like less than the other 3, They often become absolute steals. And Detroit still could use a high ceiling center today now just as much as before the draft. And it's not like they couldn't use a couple more top winger prospects, to add to Berggren and Raymond, like Chibrikov.

Unless people are still that confident that one or both of Rasmussen or Veleno are going to be clear cut top 6 centers. I mean, I think there is a good chance Veleno still could be. But I think both might end up more 3rd liner, borderline 2nd line guys. Which could still be fine. But the 3 centers that I mentioned that fell, could easily jump ahead of either Veleno or Rasmussen in development.

Could Buium have lasted until the 3rd? I'm not sure, but I am inclined to think it's not out of the question. At least more so than the players I mentioned above. But more importantly, could a player LIKE Buium have still been gotten in rounds 3-4 or whatever? And I think the answer to that is yes.

Well said.

I would have loved a guy like Sami Tuomaala at that spot. Just fantastic value where he was picked.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
B+ I like that they went for upside while grabbing a LHD and a goalie. Id hope we can draft a forward pretty high over the next year or two to round out the lineup.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I feel like it's almost a virtual guarantee that Buium would not have been available at 70. Ranked #33 by Hockey Prospect, 61 by EliteProspects, 54 by Future Considerations, 49 by Bob McKenzie's sample, 49 by McKeen's, 32 by Craig Button, 40 by Pronman. There are a few sources that had him ranked after 70, like Wheeler, but so many sources had him as a mid 2nd round pick.

You're talking about a kid that the Wings liked so much that they traded up 2 slots to ensure they got him in the early 2nd round, and instead you want them to not trade, pass on him at 38 and just assume he's going to be available at 70.....that's poke and hope hockey in the drafting world if I've ever seen it.
Maybe, maybe not. But it's not like the team forfeits the pick.... they would just have a different prospect like Chayka or other guys mentioned here like Pinelli, Chibrikov, Stankoven, Raty, etc.

I guess I just hate trading up, and Chayka was on my list whereas Buium was not. But like I said before, Rezmierski is a top defensive scout so I am not going to question the pick, even if I question when and how they got that pick.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Maybe, maybe not. But it's not like the team forfeits the pick.... they would just have a different prospect like Chayka or other guys mentioned here like Pinelli, Chibrikov, Stankoven, Raty, etc.

I guess I just hate trading up, and Chayka was on my list whereas Buium was not. But like I said before, Rezmierski is a top defensive scout so I am not going to question the pick, even if I question when and how they got that pick.

That’s fair. I mean the overall impression I’ve seen of Chayka had fallen substantially over the last year, and I think this current regime values a lot on forecasting growth. Regression is a tough sell. Like when you look at Buium, he came on throughout the year and looked to be improving. Mazur had a really poor showing in his draft year, but showed physical growth and a big step forward in production.

I don’t think our management staff wants to bank on hoping to recapture falling talent, but rather wants to go after kids they think there might be more upside yet to be seen.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
notice the dmen in tbay = i guarantee yzerman dictated the edvinsson and boomer picks . those are yzerman brand dmen , and just like he stated earlier you build a solid defense first as the core of a team then add offense as you go along . just like his 1st draft he went seider - tuomisty , now goes edvinsson - boomer . drapes got his revenge though when he drafted his buddy mazur the traditional drapes mulligan :naughty: , just kidding around

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
B+ for now.
A/A- if Edvinsson & Cossa hit their ceilings.
A+ if Buium & 1-2 of the C prospects hit their ceiling too.

Ahem, Slovakia, only 1 ??
Capture.PNG

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Ughhhhhhhh but I have to listen to Art.
Just listened to it, it's not worth it. Almost no insight that we didn't get in the post draft press conference and Art is as insufferable as ever. Danny makes it better. Hopefully she can replace Art sooner rather than later. He's unbearable

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
I think I liked the Wings selections a little bit more than last years, but I still am not fan of how we approach the early 2nd round. Steve has close to a 0 hit rate on the defenceman he selects in that range and has passed on numerous high upside forwards.

Simon Edvinsson - B, while he wouldn't have been my choice due to the question marks about his offensive game I think his skating and defensive game should ensure he makes it as at least a 2nd pairing dman. If he can figure out how to process the game better there's a lot of upside here.
Sebastian Cossa - B, I understand needing a goalie, but I don't think the trade up was particular worth it. Seeing what Minny payed to trade up and select Wallstedt makes me thing it was an overpay.
Shai Buium - D, Far too early for me and with the number of interesting forwards left on the board he wouldn't have been even considered.
Carter Mazur - F, overage player who has limited offensive tools. Far more interesting players went after him including Olsson, Robertsson, Martino, etc.
Red Savage - A, not the top ranked player on my board, but I like the pick. Probably the best value of the draft.
Liam Dower-Nilsson - A, he has some defensive issues to work on imo, but he should be a good bottom 6 prospect.
Some guy whose name is too close to Cholowski - D
Oscar Plandowski (D) - C, he wasn't getting much PP time so this is a fun pick to see what happens when Cormier leaves. With an expanded role he could have a good final 2 seasons in the Q.
Pasquale Zito - D, he didn't play last year and doesn't have the history of being a big producer. Seems to be another compete guy.

Overall I think the strength of the draft comes from Edvinsson, Cossa, Savage, and Dower-Nilsson. The two trades to move up and the Buium & Mazur selections bring the draft from a B to a C+ for me

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Just listened to it, it's not worth it. Almost no insight that we didn't get in the post draft press conference and Art is as insufferable as ever. Danny makes it better. Hopefully she can replace Art sooner rather than later. He's unbearable
ya i listened to first few minutes , thought it was rockin because all i heard was danny so i posted . went back and realized art was just waiting to pour non sense into the interveiw and i checked out . i have to ask for a mulligan on this post :naughty:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Wanted to drop this in to add a little "expert" analysis.

Chris Peters posted his draft grades on his blog/site.

Grading criteria is as follows:
A - exceptional class that will have a major impact
B - high-end class with multiple players who should have a positive impact
C - average class with some players who should make an impact
etc.

For the Wings, he graded them out at A-.

The most relevant sentence that I took away was this quote:

"I had all seven of the Red Wings' first (7) picks on my Top 100, so I thought it was a strong draft overall for them that landed pieces that will play for them."

And then a slightly more elaborate paragraph summary:

"I think the Red Wings took calculated risks, but Edvinsson and Cossa also have two of the highest ceilings in this draft class based on their rapid improvement and the high-end skillsets they already have. If both hit, the Red Wings have a top-pairing defenseman and starting goalie with their picks in this draft. Very few teams can ever come away with that kind of haul. There’s also a good variety of players in a bunch of different positions. I think the Red Wings made their prospect system a lot better in a draft where it was going to be tougher to do that."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->