Post-Draft breeze shooting: How do you grade the draft?

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
It was a good draft. I wasn’t for taking a goalie early but I’m happy with it now. I’m glad it was Cossa and not Wallstedt. If I’m disappointed in anything it was all the picks we traded away. They were all good trades with great value but I had a number of players I was hoping for that I knew we weren’t going to get.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Honestly, maybe a C-…maybe even a D+. With every pick they made, other than Cossa, I think they ended up leaving several better prospects on the board. I don’t really believe anyone we took in the second round and beyond have a particularly great chance of making the NHL, and as for Edvinsson, well, we’ll see.

I really liked our 2018, 2019 and 2020 drafts, and perhaps this is just a case of how wonky the 2021 class is, but I don’t love it. If Edvinsson can develop into a solid middle pairing guy and Cossa develops into a true starting goalie, that’s win enough. The next two drafts are perhaps more important in determining the true future of our team.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Edvinsson is who I was hoping for at #6. I love the Cossa pick since we now have a potential franchise goalie in the pipeline.

Picks after the first round seem like a major crap shoot to me, especially this year. I don’t know how anyone can get upset over a third round pick.

A-

Last edited:

DonkeyOT

Jul 18, 2021
Red Wings must have had a much higher grade on Buium than the remaining board to trade up to leapfrog Arizona at the cost of a 4RP.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Red Wings must have had a much higher grade on Buium than the remaining board to trade up to leapfrog Arizona at the cost of a 4RP.
these are the big , rugged , athletic dman types of yzermans design :

hedman-mcdonuh-sergachev-cernak / seider-edvinsson-buium-tuomisty

when yzerman see's one he tries to aquire

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Grit and character draft.

Simon Edvinsson
- I was hoping for Edvinsson and we got him. Future defense is going to be absolute nightmare to play against.

Sebastian Cossa
- I usually hate drafting goalies in the first round, but now Yzerman pulled the trigger in the right spot. Svechkov was only skater worth to be picked in this spot, and Cossa have franchise goalie potential.

Shai Buium
- Big suprise, i was expecting a center in the 2nd round. But i kinda like this pick, another massive defenseman.

Carter Mazur
- Wings should have traded down, if they really wanted Mazur they could have used the extra pick to get him. But let's see what the kid can do next year.

Red Savage & Liam Dover Nilsson
- I love these picks, 2 hard working two-way centers with good character and leadership material. I can't believe they falled this far back.

Oscar Plandowski
- Reminds me of the Kyle Aucoin pick from last year. This also have Ryan Rezmierski written all over this pick.

Pasquale Zito
- Cool name, lots of grit and character.

Solid B+

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He's part project. It's in his profile. He's already a pretty solid defensive defenseman. Great skating, good gap, willing to staple guys on the boards. Even shows a little bit of sandpaper. Defending appears to be his bread and butter. His floor is based on that side of the game.

Possessing the puck? Yikes. Highly inconsistent. Offensively, he's a project. The puck is often a hand grenade for him. He often makes terrible passes. His offensive IQ is in question. But he shows flashes. So the hope is that maybe he's more a systems guy, offensively. In the right setting, with the right coaching, he can improve his consistency and flourish offensively. Not a natural, offensively, but perhaps that can be harnessed with the right development path. I don't buy it yet, but I hope he proves me wrong.

The fact that he flashes high end offensive reads tells me that he’s not low IQ at all. It could be risk assessment, it could be aggression in his reads that his teammates aren’t prepared for. I think he just needs to refine through reps. That’s one of the things I’m most fearful of with Frolunda is that they are very particular in who they give extensive ice time.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Any draft grade I give is based on my biases and who I thought they should have picked instead, I have seen enough of Yzerman and his work to give him the benefit of the doubt, but outside of day 1, I thought the rest were real reaches and wasn’t impressed. But how can anyone be really upset given the little scouts had to go on this year

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The fact that he flashes high end offensive reads tells me that he’s not low IQ at all. It could be risk assessment, it could be aggression in his reads that his teammates aren’t prepared for. I think he just needs to refine through reps. That’s one of the things I’m most fearful of with Frolunda is that they are very particular in who they give extensive ice time.

Edvinsson would definitely be better off in another SHL program like Djurgarden, Lulea, Farjestad or Rogle. Maybe Skelleftea if Broberg is in the NHL. Those are all SHL teams that do a good job of playing their kids regardless if they're NHL draftees or not.

Reactions: NickH8

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Didn't love it... B- maybe?

A lot of uncertainty. Obviously if Edvinsson and Cossa reach their potential, then this would be far higher than a B-. Didn't like the Buium or Mazur picks at all. I liked the later round picks.
I don't hate the picks, but I hate where they were picked. Skipped on a bunch of players with higher likelihood of making the league, at least on paper. the trade up was very questionable.

I give it a B- as well.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’m surprised that MBH came in at an A-, but I think the way he values the first round is appropriate.

I don’t care how much I do or don’t like the Day 2 picks, the results of the first round will always drive more than probably 70% of my grade. 2nd round maybe 20%, and the remaining the last 10%.

I give this a draft a B+. Edvinsson is a positive value for me (ranked 5), but I also had Eklund higher than Edvinsson, so it’s not like an absolute grand slam. As far as Cossa goes, I don’t really rank goalies because I don’t have nearly enough knowledge about them. But I do know that he and Wallstedt are top half of the 1st round talents if you exclude the positional uncertainty. Content with that pick.

The only thing that I am a little disappointed with is the Buium pick. Not the player, but the direction the pick took. With Edvinsson and Cossa, I would have probably taken the swing on Raty (or Pinelli). I would have felt phenomenal coming out with Edvinsson/Cossa/Raty(Pinelli) and wouldn’t give a f*** about what happened after.

Reactions: Nemesis Prime

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I’m surprised that MBH came in at an A-, but I think the way he values the first round is appropriate.

I don’t care how much I do or don’t like the Day 2 picks, the results of the first round will always drive more than probably 70% of my grade. 2nd round maybe 20%, and the remaining the last 10%.

I give this a draft a B+. Edvinsson is a positive value for me (ranked 5), but I also had Eklund higher than Edvinsson, so it’s not like an absolute grand slam. As far as Cossa goes, I don’t really rank goalies because I don’t have nearly enough knowledge about them. But I do know that he and Wallstedt are top half of the 1st round talents if you exclude the positional uncertainty. Content with that pick.

The only thing that I am a little disappointed with is the Buium pick. Not the player, but the direction the pick took. With Edvinsson and Cossa, I would have probably taken the swing on Raty (or Pinelli). I would have felt phenomenal coming out with Edvinsson/Cossa/Raty(Pinelli) and wouldn’t give a f*** about what happened after.

The dude pounds the table for a minute munching defenseman every draft. He got one this year. I think this is as close to happy as we'll ever see MBH.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
#6 Simon Edvinsson - I like the pick, our backend is shaping up to be pretty damn strong. They have to be very confident taking him over Eklund with possible input from guys like Kronwall & Lidström in Sweden, I trust that decision.

#15 Sebastian Cossa - Sounds like a very talented goalie, never seen him play. Cossa vs Wallstedt will be the storyline for the next 5-7 years. I like Wallstedt but again the Wings have such a strong presence in Sweden that I find it very difficult to judge their evaluations of Swedes especially at crucial picks. But to be honest, I'm already getting some flashbacks of McCollum vs Markström.

#36 Shai Buium - Big d-man with skill going to Denver in the 2nd round, Tuomisto 2.0? His skating isn't too strong and it affects his defensive game, however in the few clips I've seen it didn't look that bad on the rush (similar to Tuomisto actually). His production towards the end of 2020-2021 is a very positive sign. Improve his quickness and we could have a really interesting big two-way d-man in 3-5 years. I like the pick.

#70 Carter Mazur - Hard to say much more than that they obviously like him a lot to take him at 70. He seems to have taken pretty big steps this past year in strength and skating which shows in his stats. Expectations for top-100 guys are of course higher so hopefully he can keep developing into a valuable two-way winger. In general I don't mind going somewhat off the board in the 3rd round. Suspicious but hopeful.

#114 Red Savage - Strong two-way center with leadership qualities and seemingly all the tools required to be an NHLer one day. Sounds like a player every team wants but why was he available at #114? I guess it's easy for a guy like this to get stuck behind more prolific offensive guys on the NTDP (Larkin, anyone?). Top-3 at faceoffs at the U18's in a middle-6 role. Anyway, I like the pick and hopefully he can develop into more of an impact center in college.

#134 Liam Dower Nilsson - Poor man's Theodor Niederbach? Not as mobile and relies more on others (has played a lot with Lysell) which gives some Axel Holmström vibes, though skating is better. He has some sneaky playmaking skills, very good hockey sense and a strong work ethic. His stint with Hanhals was promising and he'd probably be ready for a role in the Allsvenskan but doubtful Frölunda will loan him out. Was on my short wish list of Euros, so two thumbs up from me.

#155 Oscar Plandowski - Sounds like a Nick Jensen type. Useful in the bottom-4 but with average size won't make a big impact unless his puck skills catch up to his great skating ability. On one hand, I'm sceptical because the QMJHL must have been scouted quite heavily this year (plus from a hockey family), but on the other hand he wasn't a top pair guy so may have been somewhat held back. He's shown some offense in the past so hopefully a bigger role with Charlottetown and PP time will help bring out those skills. Neutral feeling.

#166 Pasquale Zito - I'm generally against spending any late round picks on guys from the overscouted CHL (I guess that should apply to Plandowski too...), but this year I'll give them a pass. But it's a wishful pick based on factors other than the eye test, while there were guys from Europe with up to date evaluations. Brock Otten had some good things to say but questions the upside. Would have preferred a more skilled long shot.

I'd give our draft a B+, maybe A- if we weigh the top picks more. We improved our system a lot and are pretty much set at D and G. Mostly avoided guys with little upside and got one kid from my wish list. Liked Edvinsson, Cossa, Buium, Savage and Dower Nilsson. Mazur is questionable and would have preferred a more skilled long shot over Zito as well as maybe Plandowski.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The dude pounds the table for a minute munching defenseman every draft. He got one this year. I think this is as close to happy as we'll ever see MBH.

I didn’t intend anything to be a knock against him, I’m just surprised he ended up at a higher grade than I did in the end. There’s a lot to like about Edvinsson.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Edvinsson is who I was hoping for at #6. I love the Cossa pick since we now have a potential franchise goalie in the pipeline.

Picks after the first round seem like a major crap shoot to me, especially this year. I don’t know how anyone can get upset over a third round pick.

A-

I was going to say the exact same thing. It seems like once you get beyond the top 15 or so picks, you're really just hoping to get lucky with a prospect who exceeds their draft position.

Reactions: Ricelund

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
And I respect that view, can't argue with drafting the second most valuable players behind 1st line centers.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Sounds about Wright.

Red Wings will never get 1OA. If they want a C they need to sign one (not likely) or make a trade.

At this point I'd be happy trading a ransom for Eichel just to get a legit elite C.

I would give the draft a B. They didn't draft the players I wanted but they at least drafted the positions I wanted.

The only way they could've gotten an A was drafting an elite-type center, but there just weren't any. I think this is going to go down as one of the weakest ever top-to-bottom draft classes.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Red Wings will never get 1OA. If they want a C they need to sign one (not likely) or make a trade.

At this point I'd be happy trading a ransom for Eichel just to get a legit elite C.

I would give the draft a B. They didn't draft the players I wanted but they at least drafted the positions I wanted.

The only way they could've gotten an A was drafting an elite-type center, but there just weren't any. I think this is going to go down as one of the weakest ever top-to-bottom draft classes.

There's the outside chance that we can get a Schiefele level 1C outside of the top 5 one year. Outside of Wright, Lambert and Savoie I know next to nothing about the 2022 draft so who knows? Maybe there will be someone in the 8-14 range for us? (Where I expect us to finish)

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

I do get that, it's why I leave the door open for him to solidify that offensive game with a more stable system underneath him. Reps will surely help to some degree. But on the other hand, I kinda see it the opposite of you, where his bungles concern me more than his flashes excite me, at least when it comes to projecting his ceiling. The descriptor is less important to me, I think it's pretty tied to IQ, but thinking about it more I'd probably consider it more 'low panic threshold'. Either way, it's a bigger red flag for me than for most people it seems.

His floor is good though, and if he winds up as simply a top-4 defensive dman who can be a key part of this team, I'll be ok with it, even though I'm sure most fans on this board will consider that outcome a disappointment.

One thing is for certain, the development of Simon Edvinsson over the next several years will be interesting to watch, and there will be no shortage of debate about it around here :laugh:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I do get that, it's why I leave the door open for him to solidify that offensive game with a more stable system underneath him. Reps will surely help to some degree. But on the other hand, I kinda see it the opposite of you, where his bungles concern me more than his flashes excite me, at least when it comes to projecting his ceiling. The descriptor is less important to me, I think it's pretty tied to IQ, but thinking about it more I'd probably consider it more 'low panic threshold'. Either way, it's a bigger red flag for me than for most people it seems.

His floor is good though, and if he winds up as simply a top-4 defensive dman who can be a key part of this team, I'll be ok with it, even though I'm sure most fans on this board will consider that outcome a disappointment.

One thing is for certain, the development of Simon Edvinsson over the next several years will be interesting to watch, and there will be no shortage of debate about it around here :laugh:

I’ve never seen the low panic threshold in my limited viewings. I see more confidence in his ability to handle pressure, kind of the same way that Seider tries to suck people in, but it comes with nonchalant-ness and can drift into overconfidence.

Mechanically, I’m sure he will clean up the fluttering that you see in passes, and they will pick up pace. It’s almost like he’s got a unique level of confidence with the puck on his stick, but he is afraid to make a mistake moving the puck. The old adage for pitchers “don’t aim it, just throw it.” The more you try to make the perfect pass, the less likely it will be the perfect pass.

Like I said, to me, it’s just reps. It might never come, but I think this almost entirely come down to learning his limitations and playing within them.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Edvinsson, Cossa, and Savage were good picks. I'm leaning that way towards Nilson also.

Buium could go either way, but seems promising.

Zito and Mazur are head scratchers.

I'm indifferent on Plandowski.

Overall: B- to C+

Reactions: lilidk

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I’ve never seen the low panic threshold in my limited viewings.

Take it it for what it's worth, but here's his Scouching video. Will Scouch touches on his tendency to panic with the puck with some breakdowns.

I see more confidence in his ability to handle pressure, kind of the same way that Seider tries to suck people in, but it comes with nonchalant-ness and can drift into overconfidence.

Mechanically, I’m sure he will clean up the fluttering that you see in passes, and they will pick up pace. It’s almost like he’s got a unique level of confidence with the puck on his stick, but he is afraid to make a mistake moving the puck. The old adage for pitchers “don’t aim it, just throw it.” The more you try to make the perfect pass, the less likely it will be the perfect pass.

Like I said, to me, it’s just reps. It might never come, but I think this almost entirely come down to learning his limitations and playing within them.

I think for him to overcome these bad tendencies, he'll benefit from reps, yes, but more important will be structure. Some stability within a set system will give him the best chance to clean this stuff up, assuming he can. He should benefit from a full season with the same team. Hell, looking at his career stats, the most number of games he's played with the same team in the same season in the past 5 years is 24(!).

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Take it it for what it's worth, but here's his Scouching video. Will Scouch touches on his tendency to panic with the puck with some breakdowns.

I think for him to overcome these bad tendencies, he'll benefit from reps, yes, but more important will be structure. Some stability within a set system will give him the best chance to clean this stuff up, assuming he can. He should benefit from a full season with the same team. Hell, looking at his career stats, the most number of games he's played with the same team in the same season in the past 5 years is 24(!).

I watch Scouchung videos just to get added context, but I really don’t trust any conclusions that he arrives to

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad