Possible trade proposal thread

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Hey Ducks fan here in peace. I was wondering what the Preds would want for Klein from the Ducks.

We need a RH defensive guy and I think he would be perfect to pair with one of our kids (Lindholm and Vatanen) or finally give Fowler a Partner that isnt a bottom pairing guy coming into it.

I would say the only real untouchables are:
Getzlaf NTC
Perry NTC
Fowler
Lindholm
Gibson

Thanks.

Emerson Etem

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
ASSUMING Weber doesn't want out & Josi's concussion history is not a major red flag, I think Klein is our most tradable d-man without major short & long term loss (I certainly don't care about this year- if fact we should lose).

I think his value is at a high and bidding could get high for him.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
I think tonight's game was a testament to how bad our defense is without klein right now. I would hope he isn't traded this season(maybe next once we are sure ellis/jones/ekholm don't slum)

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
That's the question I've been asking for 10 years.

However, Gagne isn't the answer. He has some offensive ability, but his offensive ability does not outweigh his many flaws. He's certainly not the "top line line" center we are are looking for.

Your missing the point Gagner is not the center piece to the trade Taylor Hall is. We all know Gagner has his flaws but he has better offensive numbers than Wilson as of now. I am not saying Gagner is the top line center we need I said he would be our top line Center as he would be the best option we would have until we could add another piece.
A top six including: Taylor Hall, Patric Hornqvist, Sam Gagner, Filip Forsberg, Craig Smith, Mike Fisher would be a big upgrade on our current offense.

Just a thought If we made the trades I mentioned above(Legwand,Cullen,Weber,Wilson,Stalberg) and if Stastny made it to free agency and we could some way add him to this team would be pretty good.

Think about this.
Hall-Stastny-Hornqvist
Gagner-Fisher-Smith
Nystrom(protect the youngsters)-Watson-Forsberg
Spaling-Gaustad-Clune
Bourque

Jones-Josi
Klein-Ekholm
Ellis-Marincin
Bartley

Rinne
?????

That is the kind of team I could live with through some growing pains.

Last edited:

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Hey Ducks fan here in peace. I was wondering what the Preds would want for Klein from the Ducks.

We need a RH defensive guy and I think he would be perfect to pair with one of our kids (Lindholm and Vatanen) or finally give Fowler a Partner that isnt a bottom pairing guy coming into it.

I would say the only real untouchables are:
Getzlaf NTC
Perry NTC
Fowler
Lindholm
Gibson

Thanks.

etem or silfverberg

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The reason Klein is movable and has value is:

A) He is a RHD in a LHD dominant league.
B) His contract is for 4 additional years at these salaries: 3 million (2014-2015), 3 million (2015-2016), 2.75 million (2016-2017), 2.75 million (2017-2018).
C) He is a #3 on any team in this league
D) His speed is deadly
E) Very good PK
F) Possible playoff elevation tag due to the Detroit series

Look. The guy has so much intrinsic value it would take a pretty stellar deal for him to be moved. His contract is extremely cheap. He is a veteran. He plays all areas of the game. The guy went through the rigors of Trotz's systems in a pretty brutal way earlier in his career, emerged from it, and he is now a rock-steady #3. He is what Trotz wanted Dan Hamhuis to be IMO.

As crazy as it sounds, this guy is worth a 1st round pick, + top prospect, easily because the value of having that contract, that skill set, at his age, and with his relatively good health is a sweet deal.

It is also the reason the Predators should probably look elsewhere to make a deal.

-----

I say all this, and I also realize that moving a defensemen to acquire a forward may be our best bet. Klein may have the best value to get the guy the Predators need.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I agree it may have to be klein in order to get the kind of player we need, but if we could get the same player for Josi I think I would trade him before KK

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
etem or silfverberg

I have been keeping up with Etem since he first went to Medicine Hat as well as Linden Vey I would like to see either on the team. While not quite ready for NHL primetime both ion a couple of years with FF could cure a lot of the offensive woes we have in scoring.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I agree it may have to be klein in order to get the kind of player we need, but if we could get the same player for Josi I think I would trade him before KK
Assuming "doctors who know" are not worried about Josi's concussion issues, I'd much rather have Josi long term. Josi is 6 years younger. Back when Klein was Josi's age, he was costing us playoff series.

Klein has improved to be a good dman but he still is prone to major brain lapses, though they are more limited. He also does not move the puck well (if it weren't for his skating, he'd be a horrible puck mover). I don't see how he's anywhere close to Hamhuis in puck skills. Also, while he'll battle in front of the net, he doesn't have the natural strength of other stay-at-homers like Mitchell, Jackman, Orpik, etc.

Now's the time to trade him. His value will never be higher.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Assuming "doctors who know" are not worried about Josi's concussion issues, I'd much rather have Josi long term. Josi is 6 years younger. Back when Klein was Josi's age, he was costing us playoff series.

Klein has improved to be a good dman but he still is prone to major brain lapses, though they are more limited. He also does not move the puck well (if it weren't for his skating, he'd be a horrible puck mover). I don't see how he's anywhere close to Hamhuis in puck skills. Also, while he'll battle in front of the net, he doesn't have the natural strength of other stay-at-homers like Mitchell, Jackman, Orpik, etc.

Now's the time to trade him. His value will never be higher.

Hamhuis was colossaly mistake prone while he was here in Nashville. Much more so than Klein has been the last 1.5-2 years.

^I agree with the above if the right piece is available.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Hamhuis was colossaly mistake prone while he was here in Nashville. Much more so than Klein has been the last 1.5-2 years.

^I agree with the above if the right piece is available.
I agree Hamhuis was (and still is) prone to lapses, though they are getting more limited with age (same with Klein).

However, Hamhuis has something Klein will never have-- good puck skills.

One thing I agree with Poile is the importance of having dman who have the ability to move the puck. Klein isn't horrible (thanks to his skating), but he doesn't have the same puck skills as Hamhuis.

We have 1 monster RHD dman, and one up-and-coming monster RHD. Josi is the obvious fit with those guys. Klein would fit, but he's the odd-man out IMO if we have to choose one. He also probably has the least trade value of the 4-- still a good amount-- but I don't think we are going to get our "offensive savior" for him. Maybe package Legwand and anything else to get a nice piece.

Last edited:

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
The reason Klein is movable and has value is:

A) He is a RHD in a LHD dominant league.
B) His contract is for 4 additional years at these salaries: 3 million (2014-2015), 3 million (2015-2016), 2.75 million (2016-2017), 2.75 million (2017-2018).
C) He is a #3 on any team in this league
D) His speed is deadly
E) Very good PK
F) Possible playoff elevation tag due to the Detroit series

Look. The guy has so much intrinsic value it would take a pretty stellar deal for him to be moved. His contract is extremely cheap. He is a veteran. He plays all areas of the game. The guy went through the rigors of Trotz's systems in a pretty brutal way earlier in his career, emerged from it, and he is now a rock-steady #3. He is what Trotz wanted Dan Hamhuis to be IMO.

As crazy as it sounds, this guy is worth a 1st round pick, + top prospect, easily because the value of having that contract, that skill set, at his age, and with his relatively good health is a sweet deal.

It is also the reason the Predators should probably look elsewhere to make a deal.

-----

I say all this, and I also realize that moving a defensemen to acquire a forward may be our best bet. Klein may have the best value to get the guy the Predators need.

Nope. Klein is awesome, don't get me wrong, but that is a tad too much. He could probably return a mid 1st and a forward prospect that will absolutely make the top 9. Nothing more, he is good pretty much everywhere, but not great at anything.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Nope. Klein is awesome, don't get me wrong, but that is a tad too much. He could probably return a mid 1st and a forward prospect that will absolutely make the top 9. Nothing more, he is good pretty much everywhere, but not great at anything.

in a vacuum, or if Poile just shopped him, you are probably right ad for that reason I doubt that kind of trade happens. But if a team has an injury and they are desperate, who knows, especially if more than one team is interested.

as a Ducks fan, do you see your team in the beginning of a Cup "window" or near the end of one?(I don't follow your team at all so I have no idea)

If its the beginning, then trading a top youngster makes no sense, but if this is going to be your last shot with your current core, then maybe you go for it...

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
in a vacuum, or if Poile just shopped him, you are probably right ad for that reason I doubt that kind of trade happens. But if a team has an injury and they are desperate, who knows, especially if more than one team is interested.

as a Ducks fan, do you see your team in the beginning of a Cup "window" or near the end of one?(I don't follow your team at all so I have no idea)

If its the beginning, then trading a top youngster makes no sense, but if this is going to be your last shot with your current core, then maybe you go for it...

I think the Ducks are in the beginning of a new window, but I think the trade still makes sense. Klein is the same age as Perry and Getzlaf and would look good with Fowler or would be an upgrade over Sbisa.

If I were Anaheim I'd want Klein more than Josi right now just because they have a legitimate shot at the cup this year and in the immediate future. Trading a Silfverberg or Etem and a very low first for a better shot at the cup now would probably be worth it instead of waiting a few years until they can both contribute a little more.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN

I think the Ducks are in the beginning of a new window, but I think the trade still makes sense. Klein is the same age as Perry and Getzlaf and would look good with Fowler or would be an upgrade over Sbisa.

If I were Anaheim I'd want Klein more than Josi right now just because they have a legitimate shot at the cup this year and in the immediate future. Trading a Silfverberg or Etem and a very low first for a better shot at the cup now would probably be worth it instead of waiting a few years until they can both contribute a little more.

Yeah you guys are right, like I mentioned, I'd love silfverberg. I think Klein could get a player like that in return but i would not be surprised if that's it or we add a late draft pick. Which i'd be okay with

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yeah you guys are right, like I mentioned, I'd love silfverberg. I think Klein could get a player like that in return but i would not be surprised if that's it or we add a late draft pick. Which i'd be okay with

Definitely. Forsberg, Silfverberg and a likely top ten forward pick would improve our forward core immensely.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I love Klein, and think he has some solid value, but I'd be shocked to see him net a player like Silfverberg, let alone a high pick as well. Good contract, but he's 29 and has literally no offensive upside. No way I see a team giving up one of their best young forwards for him. Would a Brooks Orpik or Rob Scuderi have been worth giving up Colin Wilson for a few years ago?

I think something like Palmieri and a pick would be a bit more realistic, if under-value.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
You guys think a deal like this would go through at the deadline

Wings:
- Re-signed Legwand

Preds:
- Riley Sheahan
- 2014 3rd

Sheahan can bring us some size at center along with Watson for the future, but he has more skill. I feel like Poile could pull this off considering the Erat trade. Not too mention Leggy is going home.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
You guys think a deal like this would go through at the deadline

Wings:
- Re-signed Legwand

Preds:
- Riley Sheahan
- 2014 3rd

Sheahan can bring us some size at center along with Watson for the future, but he has more skill. I feel like Poile could pull this off considering the Erat trade. Not too mention Leggy is going home.

ufa Legwand brings that kinda return. also Det Has Mr Magic and Weis. I dont think they would be giving up the best offer for Legwand if we trade him.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
ufa Legwand brings that kinda return. also Det Has Mr Magic and Weis. I dont think they would be giving up the best offer for Legwand if we trade him.

Weiss has been hurt all year, so I figured he would be a better upgrade (and probably cheaper at his age). Plus center depth could go a long way for Detroit, with the injuries they've been having.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Don't really see the motivation for Detroit. They're not a contender this season, and seem to have enough center depth on the roster for the next few seasons as is. I'm also assuming they're trying to get younger at this point, and Legwand doesn't fit that.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I love Klein, and think he has some solid value, but I'd be shocked to see him net a player like Silfverberg, let alone a high pick as well. Good contract, but he's 29 and has literally no offensive upside. No way I see a team giving up one of their best young forwards for him. Would a Brooks Orpik or Rob Scuderi have been worth giving up Colin Wilson for a few years ago?

I think something like Palmieri and a pick would be a bit more realistic, if under-value.

Just depends on the market around the trade deadline tbh. If you get multiple teams needing that one solid defensemen to sure up a run for the cup its possible his value is pretty high.

As I've read earlier, his cap hit is pretty awesome for a guy of that caliber. You know he isn't just a rental player so that could give you some added value as well. He's not old, but not young, he's solid steady and not injured all that much. We've seen teams pay a lot more for a lot less around the trade deadline over the years.

Honestly if I'm Poile he is definitely one of those guys you dangle out there, but if you don't get that really good deal you keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00