Possible Trade Ideas Volume Ocho

Status
Not open for further replies.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
If we are trading for Bernier its not because he's going to be a backup its to make him our starter. THis is the problem, he's very intriguing because he has shown flashes, but his body of work is not THAT strong at all to warrant the price being asked.

I'd rather go with MAF.

Also on a side note, if we are parting with Zucker it better be for a good young Dman who can be a really good 2-3.

mnwildgophers

Mar 5, 2010
MN
I just can't see Fletch trading another pick in this draft or next with us already being down a 1st. I do wonder if Kuemper + Bulmer gets it done? I'd be hesitant to give up another draft pick since we already lost 2 high ones in the Pominville trade.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Bernier isn't being chased to be a backup, he's being chased to be a starter. I think that's a big mistake, especially if it involves Kuemper. You can't move your two best goaltending prospects, even if you're getting a starter in return.

If it's true they want a LW, our guys are Parise, Heatley, Zucker, and Rupp. They don't want Rupp or Heatley and we aren't moving Parise. Leaves only Zucker, which I think would be a stupid overpayment or move considering he's exactly the kind of player we need on the team.

I'd hope this is a bluff, but last time the rumors about the Wild overpaying for Pominville were true...

Billy Mays Here*

Bernier is the ideal piece but his price will likely be too high. Fletcher isn't dumb enough to give up Zucker so I think that takes us out of the running. Can't put into words how much I hate the idea of trading for Fleury though. Just re-sign Backs and be done with it if you can't get Bernier for a fair price. Let Toronto, Philly and whatever other interested teams continue their outrageous bidding war for him.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I think Philly is the perfect team for this trade. Last time LA fleeced them, they won the Cup. I could totally see Snyder/Holmgren overpaying for a mediocre goalie who puts up bad numbers along with Bryz behind their terrible defense.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
I still think Bernier/Fleury is a plan B.

It seems like Backstrom's clan is taking so much time before making a decision and that's probably because they know he's the Wild's main priority. I hope they realize there's not much time left now.

mnwildgophers

Mar 5, 2010
MN
Well, the Fleury thing doesn't make sense because I have a feeling that we could re-sign Backstrom for a similar cap hit to Fleury while we wait for one of Kuemper or Gustafsson to develop. The Bernier talk makes more sense because he could be the starter for a while at a reasonable cap hit while Fleury may make too much money.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
Well, the Fleury thing doesn't make sense because I have a feeling that we could re-sign Backstrom for a similar cap hit to Fleury while we wait for one of Kuemper or Gustafsson to develop. The Bernier talk makes more sense because he could be the starter for a while at a reasonable cap hit while Fleury may make too much money.
Problem is, he has never been a starter yet.

Would you be ready to trade Kuemper+ to experience Bernier as #1 for the first time in his NHL career?

mnwildgophers

Mar 5, 2010
MN
Problem is, he has never been a starter yet.

Would you be ready to trade Kuemper+ to experience Bernier as #1 for the first time in his NHL career?

Depends on what the + is. Bernier is 24, Kuemper is 23. I'd say Bernier is more proven than Kuemper at this point, so then it becomes on who we have to give up in addition to Kuemper to get the deal done.

Billy Mays Here*

Where did I say he wouldn't be able to become a #1 exactly?

Saying that he hasn't proved to be a #1 yet doesn't mean he will never become one.

Considering he wants to become a starter, you really think he's going to be happy to go to a team where he's splitting time with another starter? This is a guy that believes he's ready for the big time, so he's not going to be willing to develop more behind another goalie. He's already been doing that for years.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
Considering he wants to become a starter, you really think he's going to be happy to go to a team where he's splitting time with another starter?
No, like I said earlier, LA is probably selling him as a starter. No doubt. He might be ready for it but he has never been one just yet. I'd hate to be the team to experience him at that position for the very first time in the NHL.

This is a guy that believes he's ready for the big time, so he's not going to be willing to develop more behind another goalie.
Word.

Again, would you be ready to trade Kuemper+ for him though?

Billy Mays Here*

Again, would you be ready to trade Kuemper+ for him though?

Yes, although a lot would depend on what the + is. People will look at a trade like that as Fletcher not being patient with prospects, but we need to remember that Bernier is only a year and nine months older than Kuemper, and far more proven and farther along in his development as well. The only thing Kuemper really has over Bernier right now is size. 6'5" versus 6'0".

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Does anyone get the feeling GMCF is having trouble with Backs resigning. So many rumors that it makes you feel like CF is not expecting Backs back. Who knows, might be trying to drive down Back's price.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
I heard Bernier was awful in the shootouts so he'd fit well here at least. ;)

if there's one thing that MAF can do, it's shootouts. 4th most shootout wins all time and tied with Lundqvist for highest shootout SV % among goalies with more than 20 shootout starts. :laugh:

Giles Ferrell

#believeinyeo
Mar 24, 2013
Minnesota
Does anyone get the feeling GMCF is having trouble with Backs resigning. So many rumors that it makes you feel like CF is not expecting Backs back. Who knows, might be trying to drive down Back's price.

Its got to be leverage. I would be surprised if Backs is not back next year, but CF is trying to get his price lowered.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012

If anything, I think he's trying to figure out a way to solve the goaltending situation long-term, which will eventually have to be done anyway. Leverage could certainly play a part, but we do need someone else besides Harding/Kuemper soon enough. We all know Bäckström isn't a long-term solution, and it certainly looks like Fletcher doesn't think it's Harding, either. Kuemper & co. are still wild cards. Bernier or even MAF would be brought in to be our next long-term starter.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Kuemper + Bulmer or something would be enough for me for Bernier. I'd love to have the guy on the team, but not at the price of some of the insane proposals over on the trade board. Zucker + 2nd or Coyle + 2nd. No way, josé.

Rumors? Where?

The Bernier and Fleury rumors.

Giles Ferrell

#believeinyeo
Mar 24, 2013
Minnesota
Kuemper + Bulmer or something would be enough for me for Bernier. I'd love to have the guy on the team, but not at the price of some of the insane proposals over on the trade board. Zucker + 2nd or Coyle + 2nd. No way, josé.

Kuemper + Bulmer would not be enough. The Wild may still be in the race for Bernier, but the bidding will get too steep for CF's liking. He would be out of his mind to give LA what they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad