Possible trade fixes for Red Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I don't know, I may be desperate enough to take another chance on him and get rid of Quincey in the same breath.
He has no spot on the team currently, and given he has one more year on his contract I don't want him taking a spot next year from Ferraro, Sheahan or Callahan who will bring a lot more to the table and reinforce the bottom 6.

Brunner plays to about 4'8'', is weak, not an overly strong skater, doesn't backcheck, makes Hudler look like Stamkos. Can't justify him playing hard minutes in the bottom 6 and I wouldn't want him taking a spot from Nyquist or Tatar in the top 6. Both Goose and Sauce work way too hard for Brunner to come in and take IT from them.

Brunner belongs in Europe, and I bet that's where he will end up after his contract is up next year.

I can see where people are coming from though, regarding a Quincey-Brunner swap.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Brunner plays to about 4'8'', is weak, not an overly strong skater, doesn't backcheck, makes Hudler look like Stamkos. Can't justify him playing hard minutes in the bottom 6 and I wouldn't want him taking a spot from Nyquist or Tatar in the top 6.

Wowzers. You're a shoe-in for hater of the year. He is weak sure, but he does back check, actually pretty hard. At least when he was in Detroit.

Both Goose and Sauce work way too hard for Brunner to come in and take IT from them.

He doesn't have to. Give him Samuelsson's role, and put Sammy in the press box. Just play him 4th line and 2nd PP.

He's faster than Sammy, has a better shot, and has chemistry with Nyquist and some other guys on the team.

I see that you don't like the guy, but it would be far from the end of the world.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Wowzers. You're a shoe-in for hater of the year. He is weak sure, but he does back check, actually pretty hard. At least when he was in Detroit.

He doesn't have to. Give him Samuelsson's role, and put Sammy in the press box. Just play him 4th line and 2nd PP.

He's faster than Sammy, has a better shot, and has chemistry with Nyquist and some other guys on the team.

I see that you don't like the guy, but it would be far from the end of the world.
Because he's not an effective NHL player. He belongs in Europe. And the fact people want him back for this and next year, taking a spot from a player that is much more deserving, is ridiculous. He was a turnover machine on the point, doesn't have the speed to make up for the mistake and is just a liability defensively. He doesn't backcheck in NJ.

The guy had his chance. Holland gave him a fair offer, he thought he is a lot better than what he actually is. At least with Quincey his contract is gone next year. That's the lesser of the two evils.

The last thing the Red Wings need is an undersized, slow, one-way player in the bottom six when they have a handful of players that will be a lot cheaper and are better suited for the role sitting in Grand Rapids.

Leino, Brunner. Fool me once....fool me twice....

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Because he's not an effective NHL player.

Not an effective NHL player... but he led our team in playoff goals.

taking a spot from a player that is much more deserving, is ridiculous.

How do we even know that's the case? You wouldn't want him out there over Sammy or Cleary. Hell I'd take anyone over those two.

The last thing the Red Wings need is an undersized, slow, one-way player

Brunner is a lot of things. But he sure as hell isn't slow. Not even close.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Actually you know what, just look at it this way.

If somebody said "Ill get rid of Quincey and Sammy", but you have to take Brunner back... would you do that?

I would. It's just a swap of our garbage (Quincey) for Jersey's garbage (Brunner). But it's got the possibility of a 2 for 1 and knocking Cleary or Sammy out of the lineup as well.

All in all, not a bad deal. Regardless of what you think of Brunner or not.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013

If somebody said "Ill get rid of Quincey and Sammy", but you have to take Brunner back... would you do that?

I would. It's just a swap of our garbage (Quincey) for Jersey's garbage (Brunner). But it's got the possibility of a 2 for 1 and knocking Cleary or Sammy out of the lineup as well.

Exactly. Giving Brunner another shot AND get Quincey off the team? Sign me up.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Basically. Yeah, you have Brunner for another year, but if you can offload Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson, then Brunner won't be such a big deal. Hell, Alfredsson might still choose to retire and you get ANOTHER open roster spot for young guys to fill.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Brunner sucks. I'm not even kidding when I say I would rather have quincey than brunner. I hate quincey but I can't stand brunner. brunner is a decent player in the offensive zone and a liability everywhere else. this team doesn't need scoring help, we have enough firepower when healthy. We need players with grit who are tough and physical and wear opponents down. This team is way too soft to play against and brunner would just make that worse.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Brunner sucks. I'm not even kidding when I say I would rather have quincey than brunner. I hate quincey but I can't stand brunner. brunner is a decent player in the offensive zone and a liability everywhere else. this team doesn't need scoring help, we have enough firepower when healthy. We need players with grit who are tough and physical and wear opponents down. This team is way too soft to play against and brunner would just make that worse.

So you would rather have Quincey who is a liability everywhere?

Dustin16182

Jun 30, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
I'd rather keep the cap we can shed by getting rid of Quincey at seasons end to take a run at a free agent that is willing to sign with Detroit. The contract talks with Brunner really ticked me off to the point I wouldn't want him back.

Also kind of random but is that Val Kilmer (Doc Holiday from Tombstone) photoshopped as your avatar?

The proposal is about getting cap compliant for Dekeysers return which is why its a move that would only make sense now.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
So you would rather have Quincey who is a liability everywhere?

He has been bad but I still think he has the potential to be better. We've seen him have success in LA and Colorado. He makes some nice defensive plays in most games but it gets overshadowed by the 2-3 big blunders he makes. Put him on the bottom pairing with an experienced vet and he becomes serviceable IMO. That said, I would still move on from him after the season.

Dustin16182

Jun 30, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
trading for brunner is a lousy idea

what we need is a dman who cna play in our top group and be a puck moving #1 ppqb option

Nobody disagrees that we need a solid defenseman, but if youre aware of the red wings cap situation, they need to get rid of somebody, and Quincey is the most logical choice. Our young guys are outplaying sammy and cleary by miles, so Brunner would not be taking ice time from the youth, he would likely be battling sammy for his job. Brunner is way more likely to light it up than cleary or sammy and had already shown chemistry on this team.

The concept of this trade is that the red wings NEED to shed salary soon. This fixes that problem, and makes the fools that bought Brunner jerseys last year feel a bit better.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Nobody disagrees that we need a solid defenseman, but if youre aware of the red wings cap situation, they need to get rid of somebody, and Quincey is the most logical choice. Our young guys are outplaying sammy and cleary by miles, so Brunner would not be taking ice time from the youth, he would likely be battling sammy for his job. Brunner is way more likely to light it up than cleary or sammy and had already shown chemistry on this team.

The concept of this trade is that the red wings NEED to shed salary soon. This fixes that problem, and makes the fools that bought Brunner jerseys last year feel a bit better.

I dont believe we will dump quincey to take on another bad player albeit cheaper who dosent fill a need.

I honestly believe we will waive cleary, he will go unclaimed and we will do so to bring him up come the playoffs..

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan

I'm pretty sure we'll be cap compliant if we just send Emmerton down

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'm pretty sure we'll be cap compliant if we just send Emmerton down

Nah wouldn't clear enough cap. They will have to waive someone in addition to sending emmerton down to make room for DDK.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Maple Leafs fan here. I come in peace.

I understand the Red Wings' need for a PMD and think Gardiner would flourish in Detroit. I'm fan of his but think Carlyle isn't playing him to his strengths and, if history is any evidence, he'll push him off the roster.

What are your thoughts on Gardiner?

crashman

I understand the Red Wings' need for a PMD and think Gardiner would flourish in Detroit. I'm fan of his but think Carlyle isn't playing him to his strengths and, if history is any evidence, he'll push him off the roster.

I don't know much about him, but was he paired with Smith at Wisconsin?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Very similar player to Smith. Both strong skaters, and talented guys. Smith likes to engage physically, while Gardiner seems to be more of a finesse guy to me.

Honestly I'm one that belives similar to your thoughts on Gardiner, that Smith has not typically been put in the best position to succeed. Whether it's the system, his linemate, or the specific role Babcock has asked him to play, I just don't think it's been the right fit. That said, he's been playing excellent lately, and we are all hoping he is turning the corner.

IIRC Gardiner was benched for stretches last year? Not really sure we need another "green" defenseman, or guys that are going to go through growing pains. If we do make a trade I think it would be best to have it be for a proven commodity. Someone like Brian Campbell.

Last edited:

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Gardiner has been benched and simply just asked to be more conservative. Looks that way at least. He had a really good stretch in the playoffs, displaying some physicality (he's not slight in stature) and displaying two-way capabilities but has looked tentative at times this season. I just think Carlyle isn't playing him to his strengths while I see loads of potential just bottled up. Problem for me is that Gardiner needs to be set free and play more of a rover position which I think would be well acclimated to Detroit's type of play.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Gardiner has been benched and simply just asked to be more conservative. Looks that way at least. He had a really good stretch in the playoffs, displaying some physicality (he's not slight in stature) and displaying two-way capabilities but has looked tentative at times this season. I just think Carlyle isn't playing him to his strengths and see loads of potential just bottled up. Problem for me is that Gardiner needs to be set free and play more of a rover position which I think would be well acclimated to Gardiner's type of play.

Yeah that all mirrors Brendan Smith more than you probably know. Lately he has been jumping into play for the first time in awhile, and really helping to create a lot of offense.

Last year it was documented Babcock was taking an "off the glass and out" conservative defensive approach, and I really don't think that suited Smith's game at all.

I don't really know that Gardiner is a good fit for Detroit, given some of the talent we have in Grand Rapids. I think we either need a veteran or we're just going to go with our kids in a year or two.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
He has been bad but I still think he has the potential to be better. We've seen him have success in LA and Colorado. He makes some nice defensive plays in most games but it gets overshadowed by the 2-3 big blunders he makes. Put him on the bottom pairing with an experienced vet and he becomes serviceable IMO. That said, I would still move on from him after the season.

LOL...come on man, that guy is an abortion...every goal against my first reaction is where is Quincey, and more times than not sure enough he's there...then my favorite little head tip up in the air like "oh crap not again" hahahaha...to go along with that what is it now, -11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad