Possible trade fixes for Red Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Who are some players Holland could target to fix this team's woes? What are our needs? Who are we willing to give up?

I'll start:

I was thinking Ehrhoff could be an option given the situation in Buffalo. We need a PMD badly, someone to help keep the play moving forward.

I'd be willing to give up Smith and Quincey on the back end, and anyone not named Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Alfredsson on the front end.

I assume that any prospect would technically be up for grabs, depending on the return.

So say Smith, Tootoo, Frk and a 2nd for Ehrhoff? Would that be enough?

NOTE: I'd rather this didn't devolve into a Holland-never-makes-moves bashing thread. We've heard all there is to say on that at this point (and I'm sure we'll be hearing lots more of it), so just keep it to moves you might do if you were the Wings GM for a day.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Who are some players Holland could target to fix this team's woes? What are our needs? Who are we willing to give up?

I'll start:

I was thinking Ehrhoff could be an option given the situation in Buffalo. We need a PMD badly, someone to help keep the play moving forward.

I'd be willing to give up Smith and Quincey on the back end, and anyone not named Datsyuk, Zetterberg or Alfredsson on the front end.

I assume that any prospect would technically be up for grabs, depending on the return.

So say Smith, Tootoo, Frk and a 2nd for Ehrhoff? Would that be enough?

NOTE: I'd rather this didn't devolve into a Holland-never-makes-moves bashing thread. We've heard all there is to say on that at this point (and I'm sure we'll be hearing lots more of it), so just keep it to moves you might do if you were the Wings GM for a day.

No thank you. I'd be interested in trading for someone like Yandle I guess or Edler if it meant Quincey was going the other way with picks and prospects..

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ehrhoff's deal goes to 2021. That's quite a commitment.

Along the same vein of puck mover, I'd prefer Brain Cambpell. His contract only goes to 2016, which matches around when I'd expect him to decline as an offensive defender.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
No thank you. I'd be interested in trading for someone like Yandle I guess or Edler if it meant Quincey was going the other way with picks and prospects..

I'd love those guys, but there's not much indication either team is anxious to actually trade them.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
not sure if that deal works from cap perspective.

but with buffalo already having paid the much of the big money on that deal, they would be ****ed if they trade him and he retires early. big recapture penalty.

and even as/if they are tanking, they still need some vets there. ehrhoff should be solid player for most of that deal.

sabres just probably pronger him when he's done.

and sabres are in same division. doubt they would like him quarter-backing the wings pp for next half decade or so.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

i don't see yandle as much better option than ehrhoff tbh.

i think edler ship has sailed. there was chance last summer but holland couldn't get it done. won't blame him for that, reportedly the asking price as pretty big.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Problem is, I don't see Yandle or Edler as on the market. Plus their price should be much higher. If this team can be improved with Ehrhoff, why say no?

If we all hate Quincey as a player, why would another team want to let go of a Yandle or Edler in exchange for a Quincey? Vancouver and Phoenix will not want to weaken their teams now for the sake of picks and prospects. A team like Buffalo might.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

You aren't getting Yandle for Quincey, picks and prospects.

The guy gets a lot of flak here, but he is a damn good defenseman and Phoenix isn't stupid enough to agree to taking on a defensive black hole with hardly any offensive output in recent memory.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Gonchar and Goligoski are going to be available as well. And from our good buddy Jim Nill. But both are playing horrible, so you know, buyer beware.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I actually like all these players:

D, Z, Alfie, Franzen, Weiss, Tatar, Nyquist, Bertuzzi (ya you heard me BERTUZZI is ok)

Players to finish this out would be:

Miller
Helm
Andersson

Trade Sammy to anyone who will take him. Buffalo? Why not buffalo. Retain 1Mil salary, and i would just give them a 6th rounder to take Sammy off our hands. But of course, he has that pesky NTC. But if you explain to him he will get playing time in Buffalo. That he will get another contract in the NHL if you do well there, because here is on the bench.

If we cant trade him, waivers and see if someone takes him for free (of course the above deal is BETTER than waivers).

If sammy can be shipped off... we can save Tootoo for bottom 6 duties. Else, waive Tootoo as well. He will be picked up, so you save the money.

Eaves waived (if someone picks him up fine).

As for Defense, I would leave it as it is for now. Worst case, bring up XO, and send down Lashoff, odds are he will not be claimed.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Maybe if we shipped Franzen for Ehrhoff? It'd be like a POW exchange because both teams would be on the hook if the players retire before their contracts expire.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Maybe if we shipped Franzen for Ehrhoff? It'd be like a POW exchange because both teams would be on the hook if the players retire before their contracts expire.

Buffalo appears to be in full rebuild. I'd be surprised if they wanted Franzen given his contract length and their emphasis on stockpiling draft picks.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I wish we'd bit when Cody Franson was available. Big, good shot, righty, putting up points now. Doubt Toronto gives him up now, plus they're a division rival.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I wish we'd bit when Cody Franson was available. Big, good shot, righty, putting up points now. Doubt Toronto gives him up now, plus they're a division rival.

I liked Cody Franson 3 years ago before he started producing in Toronto. I didn't think his stock can be higher than it is now. But back then, anyone coulda had franson for free really.

Of course, I also liked White too.

So my judgement is who knows :)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Let's not forget the impending New York Rangers fire sale if they keep playing so poorly.

Hard to say who they'd ship out. But no way they hold with the current roster.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I liked Cody Franson 3 years ago before he started producing in Toronto. I didn't think his stock can be higher than it is now. But back then, anyone coulda had franson for free really.

Of course, I also liked White too.

So my judgement is who knows :)

Lidstrom made anyone he played with very likeable.

Maybe we could ship Quincey to Ottawa for a 7th on the condition he gets paired with Karlsson. Then, when Karlsson's stock tanks we could get him for a mint.:p:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Let's not forget the impending New York Rangers fire sale if they keep playing so poorly.

Hard to say who they'd ship out. But no way they hold with the current roster.

They've got a couple good puck movers too. And with Sather, you might be trading a piece of coal and getting a diamond.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

By that token, I wish we would have gotten Ehrhoff when he was a UFA 2 years ago. As opposed to giving up Frk or a good prospect for him.

I lobbied for him hard that summer.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
It's all the defense's fault this team sucks right now, right? Same defense we pretty much had last year. The defense that is missing Big E. We have the same problem as last year. NOBODY OTHER THAN DATS OR Z WHO CAN SCORE ON A CONSISTENT BASIS WITH A BUNCH OF TRASH TAKING ICE TIME AWAY FROM PLAYERS THAT MAY BE ABLE TO SCORE SOME GOALS. We start losing games 5-3 every night then I'll be all about mortgaging the future for a mediocre overpaid temporary fix to the D.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It's all the defense's fault this team sucks right now, right? Same defense we pretty much had last year. The defense that is missing Big E. We have the same problem as last year. NOBODY OTHER THAN DATS OR Z WHO CAN SCORE ON A CONSISTENT BASIS WITH A BUNCH OF TRASH TAKING ICE TIME AWAY FROM PLAYERS THAT MAY BE ABLE TO SCORE SOME GOALS. We start losing games 5-3 every night then I'll be all about mortgaging the future for a mediocre overpaid temporary fix to the D.

Ehrhoff replacing Smith improves this team offensively and defensively now and for the foreseeable future. Getting rid of Frk would not be mortgaging our future. And getting rid of Tootoo opens another roster spot. Add in Eaves and you can bring Nyquist up.

This team minus Smith and Tootoo adding Nyquist and Ehrhoff would be much, much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad