Friedman: Possible Mathew Barzal Offer Sheet

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
yeah not this time. some isles fans think barzal is gonna get locked up for 7 mil lol

isles match 10.5 but they definitely wouldnt be thanking anyone

I think the $7M number comes from the bridge idea, which a lot of people think Barzal will want to do. Buy a year or two until things are back to normal and he can get his huge contract. If it’s long term I don’t think any Isles fan actually thinks he’ll sign for anywhere near $7M.

Isles have a bright future SO LONG as they shore up goaltending as Varlamov and Greiss likely don't more than 1-2 more elite seasons in them

Sorokin just signed and will probably be the guy right out of the gate next year. At the very least the 1B to start his career.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Isles have a bright future SO LONG as they shore up goaltending as Varlamov and Greiss likely don't more than 1-2 more elite seasons in them
Greiss is a UFA. As mentioned above he’s being replaced by Sorokin.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Of course - it wouldn't be an off-season without several offer sheets being offered and one or two signed and at least one being accepted. Sergachev, Cirelli and Dubois will probably get offer-sheeted. Or nobody will or will sign one, which is what usually happens.

Cirelli and Sergachev would be more interesting to discuss btw. I would love to know what Tampa's plan is other than win the cup. About 76mil comiited with these two RFA and not many NHL defenseman under contract.
That’s been discussed a lot. Very real chance teams reach out to agents of both Tampa and Islanders RFAs. Very real and likely chance those agents get a lot of offseason attention.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I find it hard to believe worse off teams won't try and take a run at some big-name RFAs like Sergachev, Cirelli, Barzal, etc. No reason not to. Yes, owners and GMs may be reluctant because of what can happen one day on the receiving end, but you can't run a team thinking that. If the player you want is there, you get him, RFA, or not.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I find it hard to believe worse off teams won't try and take a run at some big-name RFAs like Sergachev, Cirelli, Barzal, etc. No reason not to. Yes, owners and GMs may be reluctant because of what can happen one day on the receiving end, but you can't run a team thinking that. If the player you want is there, you get him, RFA, or not.
They all had a chance at Point last year! They could have offered more to Aho! Like these are two guys you build offenses around and the best we got was a weak offer from Montreal that ended up doing Carolina a favor. We’re never going to be able to ignore this bc it’s always a possibility but there have been so many opportunities and teams have failed to take advantage of them.

Reactions: hmc1987

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
They all had a chance at Point last year! They could have offered more to Aho! Like these are two guys you build offenses around and the best we got was a weak offer from Montreal that ended up doing Carolina a favor. We’re never going to be able to ignore this bc it’s always a possibility but there have been so many opportunities and teams have failed to take advantage of them.
Point was not interested in an offer sheet. I suspect MB explored that possibility first. There is no telling how many offers have been made. We only know when an offer is accepted. Cirelli should really consider accepting an offer from a team who will guarantee him a spot on a scoring line.

Reactions: FireGorton

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Offer sheets may be more possible this year because you'll have more teams applying even lower internal caps and there will be the richer teams who don't really give a shit about that stuff who are more apt to front load contracts, but the Islanders will match a Barzal offer sheet in about 25 seconds.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I have a really hard time believing Barzal would leave. He fits the system like a glove and has found great success being the new face of the islanders. Why would he take the chance on messing that up by going to another team where he's not sure if he will find the same success. I don't particularly like the islanders especially after tavares leaving and all that stuff but I believe there's a 95% chance he resigns long term with the isles.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That's not true, there was an offer sheet last year.

One that actually went through and wasn't matched? Point is this year especially, no one is throwing enough money at any of the RFA's that the original team won't match.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
One that actually went through and wasn't matched? Point is this year especially, no one is throwing enough money at any of the RFA's that the original team won't match.
Well, last year at least 3 guys got offer sheets, and one signed it, so I would expect something similar this season

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Wasn't every RFA going to get an offer sheet last year too?

there was a lot of rumored action in the offer sheet front last year.

Aho signed one with Montreal, and there were rumors of Columbus heavily chasing Marner.

I think the stigma is fading as people realize the value of RFAs

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
there was a lot of rumored action in the offer sheet front last year.

Aho signed one with Montreal, and there were rumors of Columbus heavily chasing Marner.

I think the stigma is fading as people realize the value of RFAs
Agreed With the RFA's wanting to sign "the big one" right out of ELC, offer sheets make more sense than ever.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
yeah not this time. some isles fans think barzal is gonna get locked up for 7 mil lol

isles match 10.5 but they definitely wouldnt be thanking anyone

Aho was $8.5ish, and the way things have progressed lately...i think a team probably would be happy just to have the episode over, to get their franchise Center locked up at any number anybody will actually offer Barzal.

Offer sheets are just inherently broken. You can't build a team around a mega-salary, unless you have a bunch of ELCs and bargain bridge deals. And the picks forfeit in an offer sheet basically make that impossible to achieve.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Keep dreaming he isn't going anywhere. When your senile GM puts your team in salary cap hell and if a team offers him 8 years and 88 million or something similar, there is a very good chance he's going somewhere else. If the Islanders were to match that, they would probably lose both Pullock and Toews. Nobody is going to take the crappy contracts Lou gave out to multiple players.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Keep dreaming he isn't going anywhere. When your senile GM puts your team in salary cap hell and if a team offers him 8 years and 88 million or something similar, there is a very good chance he's going somewhere else. If the Islanders were to match that, they would probably lose both Pullock and Toews. Nobody is going to take the crappy contracts Lou gave out to multiple players.
That's funny considering the players with contract problems needing to be moved weren't signed by Lou.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Why? We could and we did. Why can't any other team?

That statement was trashed and laughed at incessantly on this site, especially by bitter Isles fans. The fact you’re even attempting to defend it after it was used to trash countless Leaf fan posts by simply posting it as a response means you’re out of the loop.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
That statement was trashed and laughed at incessantly on this site, especially by bitter Isles fans. The fact you’re even attempting to defend it after it was used to trash countless Leaf fan posts by simply posting it as a response means you’re out of the loop.
No it doesn't. It just means I ignore vacuous posts.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Wrong team.
Right team, perfect context.

They're going to sign both Barzal and Pulock, even if the offer sheets that come in are eventually detrimental in fielding a playoff team that can go far. Just like how the Leafs signed all their RFA's and one UFA, even if it meant they couldn't field a playoff team (so far) that can go far due to depth issues. Hoping for the Isles sake we don't end up like them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad