Friedman: Possible Mathew Barzal Offer Sheet

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I don't think there is any doubt about that, I think people are more interested in the cap position. Isles can move a lot of money around but a 10m offer sheet would still create some problems.
10m offer sheet and the Islanders match. Ladd and Boychuk wind up with injuries causing both to go on LTIR thus clearing up $11.5m giving the Islanders $20.4m in cap space even with some other guys still on the roster.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
10m offer sheet and the Islanders match. Ladd and Boychuk wind up with injuries causing both to go on LTIR thus clearing up $11.5m giving the Islanders $20.4m in cap space even with some other guys still on the roster.
Ladd played a game in the playoffs. There is literally zero LTIR excuse for him. And Boychuk is such a gamer that he's not being told to go on LTIR and go away.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Ladd played a game in the playoffs. There is literally zero LTIR excuse for him. And Boychuk is such a gamer that he's not being told to go on LTIR and go away.
Lou seems to figure out how to make things happen when people least expect it. I could see something like this happening though with one of these players to help clear up space then moving one to Seattle to clear up space similar to what they did with Grabovski and JF Berube.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
we don't know how many offer sheets have been offered in the past. We'd only know about the ones that were signed. I don't think it's such a bold suggestion

mti79

May 11, 2007
But it's HF Boards. These guys who have been competing for years are very willing to go on fake LTIR and just collect paychecks. They would obviously have no problem giving up their career so that the Islanders are cap compliant....

Reactions: Anthony5967

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
And if there is an offer sheet, it will be a rerun of every other time someone's tried to offer sheet a top young player. Montreal offer sheet on Aho, redux. Instant auto-match, and send a bouquet of flowers to the offer-sheeting GM for basically doing the negotiating work for them.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
And if there is an offer sheet, it will be a rerun of every other time someone's tried to offer sheet a top young player. Montreal offer sheet on Aho, redux. Instant auto-match, and send a bouquet of flowers to the offer-sheeting GM for basically doing the negotiating work for them.

yeah not this time. some isles fans think barzal is gonna get locked up for 7 mil lol

isles match 10.5 but they definitely wouldnt be thanking anyone

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Gr
Lou seems to figure out how to make things happen when people least expect it. I could see something like this happening though with one of these players to help clear up space then moving one to Seattle to clear up space similar to what they did with Grabovski and JF Berube.
Grabo was legitimately hurt bad, though.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Gr

Grabo was legitimately hurt bad, though.
As was Ladd most of last season. I'm actually kind of amazed that he found a way to come back. They could always pull the Wade Redden trick. Bury them in the minors until the contract is just about expired.

Reactions: Anthony5967

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I feel there will be cheaper D options than paying a price for Hickey. If Hickey was any good, he'd be useful to Trotz.
He was sent down because they didn't want to send Dobson back to juniors. They could bury him in the AHL as well for next season.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Exactly... Someone has to be willing to offer 4 x 1st rounders for it to even not be a complete waste of time. Even then, I just don't see it.

Lou said he didn't want to give Barzal 10M+, i don't know, they can't afford to lose him so he would probably match.

Reactions: Morrison

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Every team in the NHL with a player about to make a lot of money should hope Marc Bergevin sends their stars an offer sheet. He'll get you the deal you wanted by just matching it.

Reactions: Morrison

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Then see an OS on Pullock.

Isles will match. Everyone is so focused on the "OMG Isles only have 9m in cap space" they forget they can go 8.1 over that during the interim before the season starts. So offering Barzal 10.9 and Pulock 7 just ensures that the Isles will OS that team's RFA's when they have the chance. <---This is always said in theory as it actually hasn't happened yet, being the only OS signed of significance was Aho's weak one by Mtl.

Reactions: hmc1987

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Isles will match. Everyone is so focused on the "OMG Isles only have 9m in cap space" they forget they can go 8.1 over that during the interim before the season starts. So offering Barzal 10.9 and Pulock 7 just ensures that the Isles will OS that team's RFA's when they have the chance. <---This is always said in theory as it actually hasn't happened yet, being the only OS signed of significance was Aho's weak one by Mtl.

Isles have a bright future SO LONG as they shore up goaltending as Varlamov and Greiss likely don't more than 1-2 more elite seasons in them

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Then see an OS on Pullock.

Of course - it wouldn't be an off-season without several offer sheets being offered and one or two signed and at least one being accepted. Sergachev, Cirelli and Dubois will probably get offer-sheeted. Or nobody will or will sign one, which is what usually happens.

Cirelli and Sergachev would be more interesting to discuss btw. I would love to know what Tampa's plan is other than win the cup. About 76mil comiited with these two RFA and not many NHL defenseman under contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00